Has ANYONE regrown a full head of hair something close enough to it without a transplant?

Matt Skiba

Man I just had a haircut today, and it pisses me off so much that I can't have a hairstyle that would give me such a significant amount of sex appeal. I've got no problem with the right side of my head, but it looks like ants are eating away at a small portion of the left temple. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like their almost gonna cry after the stylist slaps on the dreaded hair gel or mousse.

If I started losing my hair when I was like 35 or something I really wouldn't care at all, I'd just see it as a natural progression of aging and I'm sure my skin and face would go along to complement it. But noticing it when I'm only 19 and still a teenager is probably one of the biggest slaps in the face life has ever given me. I never thought this would happen to me, and growing up I always imagined myself as a handsome, confident man in my 20s.

I've seen quite a few before and after pictures of men who've been using topicals and whatnot, and I've seen some very dramatic improvement on the top of the head. But the hairline seems like it's some sort of forsaken zone.

What I'd like to know is if there's anyone out there who's used things like minoxidil, ketoconazole, finasteride, or even spironolactone and very significantly regrew the hairline to the point that one doesn't need to hide it anymore. I'd especially be happy to know if this was someone who didn't lose much hair to begin with, because I personally haven't and many people still consider me to have a full head of hair, even though this is probably because I've gotten to be pretty good at hiding it.

I'm definitely gonna start being pretty dedicated about using the xandrox solution morning and before bed, I'll probably add in spectral DNC sometimes too just for the Retin-A and other ingredients in it. If all else fails I'm thinking I might just grow out my hair to the point where the bangs come down and my hairline is almost always not visible, possibly to the point that the hair on top of my head comes down below my chin. I may even consider adding in spironolactone and the mysterious RU58841.

As for future treatments like the protein thing and hair cloning, what the hell is taking so long? Do these people not understand how much psychological trauma would be repaired if the stuff actually came out? I honestly think it might even be good for the economy as a bunch of bald men will work harder because of the confidence gained and sorrow lost because they have a full head of sexy hair again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since your young and not bald yet, I would immediately get on Propecia so you dont lose anymore. And dont be rash in your decision to get a hair transplant, try creative styling, keep your hair closely cropped or just shave your pate bald. These are all temporary solutions and all reversible.

You know, there are exciting options available today for hair transplants that were not available to me at your age. If only I had of waited instead of using 1990's technology and punch grafts. From what I see today the results are truly incredible.

So, I say, first off, keep what you got and use Propecia, I've heard it has pretty good success at keeping you from losing more, and if you decide to get a transplant it can help you with any initial shock loss.

As far as anything else, dont waste your money, all the shampoos and witch potions prey on mens desperation and will only add to your debt, not your hair. But some may give some mental relief and make you feel empowered somewhat that you are at least trying.

You never know, you could be the one in a million it actually causes to grow hair. icon_wink.gif

I had a very rough experience with finasteride and sexual side effects that lasted months even after I quit the drug, so I'm afraid that this is not an option for me.

As for everything else I've done extensive research on that as well. But I do appreciate your effort at helping me out.

I just feel kinda pissed off that I'm not old enough to be a candidate for a hair transplant, although I have read about a forelock transplant, which I guess is the act of transplanting hair from the middle forelock onto the sides of the hairline, so if I really do go bald those hairs will fall out anyways and I won't end up looking like a freak. Personally I'd rather have a clean bald head instead of having an island of thin frizzy hairs in the middle, but I doubt that will ever happen as that doesn't really run in my family.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt,

In your case , try to stabilize your loss with minioxidil and Nizoral ( or revita). since you are not going on Propecia you risk losing more. Have you tried taking a half a pill a day?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Matt,

The members above have given you good information; finasteride has a relatively short half-life so it should not cause sexual side effiects months after you quit taking it; are you sure nothing else caused the sexual sides? Also, the sexual side effects % is very low; I would recommend giving finasteride another try; it is the only drug on the market that is proven to have long term results as far as stabalizing/slowing down hair loss; minoxidil alone will not maintain your hair over the long term because it doesn't stop the root cause-DHT

Guest wanthairs

well...

My brother is 27 has been losing hair diffusely on his crown for 3 years. In 3 months of using finasteride and rogaine, (IM not joking) his crown is totally thick again with no sign of loss. Unfortunately it did not work like that on me if at all

I think it will be a tough time convincing Matt to use Propecia again due to his skinn sagging and lingering sexual side effects.

To me it does seem them are a bit long lived and odd. BUT then again, I am not him so I cannot speak for him

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Matt,

This is a great question and discussion.

All people respond to hair loss treatments differently but I couldn't say one has ever restored a "full head of hair" unless they've only experienced a little bit of loss. Then the question is - how long does it last?

I have found that those with minimal hair loss have a better chance at reversing the hair miniaturization process and regrowing hair than those with extensive loss.

There have been some reported cases of those using Minoxodil (obviously found in Xandrox) who restored a good amount of their hair. But how "lasting" is it is also another story. To continue the benefit of any medication/supplement, it must be continually used. Stopping it will result in the loss of all benefits associated with it.

Propecia has also been known in some to restore a good portion of hair - though it is also rare. How lasting is it? It's not predictable.

If I started losing my hair when I was like 35 or something I really wouldn't care at all, I'd just see it as a natural progression of aging and I'm sure my skin and face would go along to complement it.

I know you think this - but it simply isn't true. I just received an email today at help@hairtransplantnetwork.com today from a 59 year old man who had a thick head of hair his whole life and just started experiencing some thinning. He is concerned about it and is doing his best to cover his thinning areas.

The bottom line is hair loss impacts us all in some way - some more than others. It can be devastating for some, and a minor upset for others. Some may not even care (or at least say they don't).

Unfortunately, out of all the products out there (proven or not), there is no miracle cure to date for hair loss.

The best thing to do is work with the available treatments out there and do the best we can with them. Hair Transplantation may become an option for you Matt - but I agree at 19 or early 20s, with a good amount of hair - it probably will not be your best course of action at this point.

Best wishes,

Bill

Just for the record I will never try finasteride again, and I actually tried using it half a pill every other day and it still didn't work. It is nothing short of weak chemical castration.

As for xandrox, it does have some effects on longevity as (I've said this before) azelaic acid is proven to fully inhibit DHT in the skin. Go to the following link to see the study that proves this. Spironolactone goes the extra yard and even binds with the DHT receptors shielding them from actual DHT. But using something that transvestites take to make them more womanly makes me a bit cautious about using it, plus I hear it's a hassle and it smells bad.

So here's the link on the study of azelaic acid and zinc on the skin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=...anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Matt,

You are correct. As the study shows, azelaic acid has been shown to inhibit DHT in the skin.

However, there have been no formal studies on Azelaic acid as a stand alone treatment for hair loss.

I can see why one can take the study listed below and believe it will combat hair loss (indeed it might). But I think it's important to point out that there is no hard data that reveals its efficacy as a hair loss treatment. No formal studies have been performed on Azelaic acid for hair loss specifically.

But I agree that it could have some merit. I hope somebody will do an official and specific study on it as a hair loss treatment and report their findings.

Bill

Sounds promising but 1 study does not make it a fact by any means.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Here's a question/comment for anyone related to 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors...

We know that DHT is created when the hormone testosterone combined with the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase.

We know that Azelaic acid (among many other things) inhibits 5-alpha-reductase.

But if DHT has already been created - what does a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor really do when applied topically? Would it attack the 5-alpha-reductase within the DHT or only the stand alone enzymes?

I would suspect that 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors taken orally might be more effective because it will reduce the overall DHT in the body. Less 5-alpha-reductase should mean less DHT.

But by the time a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor is applied topically - it might be too late since the DHT is already formed - though in theory it might block more from being created in area where the topical has been applied.

Also...anything applied topically - how long does the "effect" work it has no more impact on 5-alpha-reductase enzymes?

Just some questions/thoughts to ponder.

Keep in mind that the study above once again supports the POSSIBILITY of a treatment for hair loss, but Azelaic acid has not been tested as a hair loss treatment to date.

Bill