Curly New Hair - When does it straighten?

Neptune

Don't get me wrong. No complaints about any of the new hair I have. Just a question. In much of my new growth, I have a bunch of curly whiter hairs that don't straighten no matter how much "defrizzer" or straightening gel I put on. I knew to expect this but am curious from those who have experienced something similar: When should these hairs start to straighten out? I'm 7 months out and you can see my photos in the photo album section. Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

• Moderators

It's normal for transplanted hair to grow in somewhat frizzy. I don't know if that happens to everyone though. As it grows out and you get a few hair cuts it will slowly soften up. I'd say in the 12 to 18 month range is where I used to see the frizzyness go away.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

As you stated this is unfortunately normal. Not sure about why they are whiter with you unless you mean when they first come in?

You might have to wait upwards of 18 months in some cases but more than likely things will start to calm down at about the 1 year timeframe. I would recommend keeping the hair on the shorter side until you get to the point where the frizziness is diminishing.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Yup,

The hairs grow in a bit coarse which can sometimes make the HT seem a bit un natural but don't lose hope. It will blend in nicely as the hair grows in..Yes, it can take about 10 months or so.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Great question. My hair is just starting to grow in from my HT in July and they seem to be coming in somewhat curly which I thought was very odd considering my hair is really straight. Now I know this is a temporary thing.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Research has shown that frizzy transplanted hair relates back to the technicians who may have over manipulated the grafts while placing. The reason that it takes up to 18 months to settle down is the transplanted hair needs to go through a full growth cycle.

Abbie, you might be right. I've noticed that when the grafts first shed few days after the HT, the hair come out straight with a slight bent of angle on the ends grafted into the scalp. Maybe that's what you meant by "over manipulating" the grafts while they're placed at the angle to match the native hair?

I meant that when the technicians were putting the grafts in...they were either grasping the graft by the follicle, thereby crushing the follicle, smashing the graft into the site with a less than gentle touch and/or re-adjusting the graft into the site several times due to popping and bleeding. All of these scenarios or even one could be the reason for a frizzy result.

I'm at 10 months, and my hair almost feels the same as my natural hair. I'm sure there's more thickening and softening to come but the frizziness look and feel of it is almost gone.

Regimen: 5% Minoxidil twice a day (morning and night) on front hairline, Proscar (broken into 5 pieces) one piece every night. MSM 1000 Mg, Zinc 30 Mg, Vitamin E, Multi-Vitamin.

Baby Shampoo for showering.

10 -14 all of the hair is gernerally normal again. at 14 months my hair was really full and healthy

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Post Hair transplantation frizziness and kinkiness is rare. Usually it is only a few grafts that are seen but generally not a significant portion of the hair. As was posted, careful handling of the grafts to avoid crushing the follicle is essential to avoiding this problem. YOu may notice some improvement. However, there are a few grafts that will persist with some kinkiness.

Ricardo Mejia MD

Dr. Mejia,

It's obvious you are a physician and therefore have the credentials to know your stuff however, from my experience in speaking to countless patients over the years, it is not rare and cannot be avoided by the careful handling of the grafts.

Careful handling of the grafts IS essential for growth yield.

But because transplanted hair starts growing as thin fine hairs and take up to 18 months to mature, they can often be of a different texture especially between 4-9 months which causes frizziness/kinkiness.

As the hair matures it will soften and end up just as the texture of natural hair.

Bill

I agree with Bill, I think the frizziness is more common than rare. It is a scary thought to think techs are crushing grafts while handling them.

Maybe this is a thought for another thread but:

Just before my last HT, I asked my Doc if it was OK to "tip" the techs. He said it was not neccesary but my feeling was that they would give those grafts of mine extra care!!

Top clinics have top techs I am sure. I submit that there are top techs out there who should be recognized somehow. Perhaps each Doctor in the coalition could nominate one from each office. Might be good motivation for all techs to step up their game. What do you all think??

NoBuzz

Dr. Mejia,

Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense. I would agree that would be rare - in fact, I am not sure I've ever heard about a case like that - which is a good thing icon_smile.gif.

Since you are a hair restoration physician, I am surprised that I haven't seen any of your work posted. Feel free to post some of your before, immediately post op, after pictures and hair transplant technical details in the photo section of our community if you are willing.

Thanks for the props!

Bill

Bill: I unfortunately have not dedicated the time to the marketing and posting. Pat has been telling me that for months and invited me to be more of an active participant in the forums. I am trying to follow-up with his suggestion. I do invite you down to Jupiter to visit our clinic and see for yourself the high quality of work we do here. I will try to have some photos for you.

Dr. Mejia,

We are pleased to have you become more involved in our network.

At this time, I personally would probably not be able to come down to visit you due to my involvement here and my other current full time job - however, perhaps in the future. Have you invited Pat to your clinic?

I do also hope you or someone in your office will find the time to display some of your work for our forum members.

Bill

Bill:

YOur welcome.

I have invited PAt and hopefully he will be coming soon. I will try to have someone post more photos. There are a few on my physicians profile on this site and more on my website www.skinandhairdoc.com. I am in the process of updateing my website as well as it has not been updated for almost 4 years. HOpefully some of my patientss will come out of the woodwork and post themselves.

Glad I can help with your forums.

My experience is the corkscrew effect lasted quite strongly for 9 months and has gradually lessened the effect over the next 10 months but it is still present. I can get rid of it after a shower and grooming but it comes back if I brush out the gel and exercise hard. ( ie lots of sweat and head/hair movement). All things considered, I'll take this nuisance vs. being bald. FWIW, cheers all, S-n-P

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's