Other factors to consider?

I had two transplants back in the mid-80's and, of course, they were terrible. Shortly after they were done, I had the transplanted hair removed by way of surgery which left two scars on the top right and left sides. Actually, not really too bad. As my hair gets thinner, the scars become more noticeable. I decided to take a conservative approach to cover the scars and plan for future hair loss. For obvious reasons, I cannot shave my hair. I need the coverage. I am in mid 50's. After reviewing this and other related sites and several online and personal consultations, I have decided to go with Dr. Bernstein. I will post three pictures including front dry, front wet and back. Of course, will keep you posted on the progress as I think objective information can be helpful to others. Any comments/thoughts/factors to consider will be appreciated.

a_back_(3).JPG.837c62035c8dc56dbd3ca22a353aa025.JPG

I had two transplants back in the mid-80's and, of course, they were terrible. Shortly after they were done, I had the transplanted hair removed by way of surgery which left two scars on the top right and left sides. Actually, not really too bad. As my hair gets thinner, the scars become more noticeable. I decided to take a conservative approach to cover the scars and plan for future hair loss. For obvious reasons, I cannot shave my hair. I need the coverage. I am in mid 50's. After reviewing this and other related sites and several online and personal consultations, I have decided to go with Dr. Bernstein. I will post three pictures including front dry, front wet and back. Of course, will keep you posted on the progress as I think objective information can be helpful to others. Any comments/thoughts/factors to consider will be appreciated.

new2thissite,

given your age and (limited) loss for your *age*, I think your an exceptional candidate. Many guys on here have considerably more loss at a younger age & Im sure refining your previous poor work will not be a problem. Do you have a surgery date set yet?

Best of luck...

I am zee capt'N!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Amount of time off really depends on the person. I don't believe Bernstein shaves the recipient area, so all you really have to be concerned with is the redness if the dr just fills in the hairline you have. For me redness was basically gone around the 12 day mark, but each person is different. If the Dr. builds a new hairline, people might notice because you'd have nothing covering the grafts until they shed which also varies with the individua, person. Shedding of the grafts could take between 2-4 weeks.

August 12, 2008 - 3100 grafts Dr. Feller

Check out my blog - http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=876

new2thissite..you've picked a great doc..good luck with your surgery. I ended up wearing a hat to work until the 1 month mark when most of my grafts had shed and the scar at the back was easy to cover up with some dermmatch, even with a buzz cut.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

new2thissite,

I just wanted to offer my support on your upcoming hair transplant surgery with Dr. Bernstein. You selected a terrific surgeon with an excellent track record.

I encourage you to share your hair transplant experience and photos with us so we can support you and follow your journey.

Here's to a nice new head of hair in the near future icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 month later...

Thanks Eman (with a K) and Bill. I appreciate your comments and will continue to post my progress. As a point of interest, perhaps, when I asked one of the tech's if activity picked up since Dr. Bernstein's appearance on the Oprah Show, she said that they are always busy. Later on, she asked where I was from and I told her and asked if they get many patients from that area. She said from all over the world. This was just general conversation between me and one of the tech's on the day of the procedure. When you visit for consult, there is no marketing or pressure to move forward whatsoever. As we all know, in the end, it is the results that matter the most.