Rogaine (liquid) once a day - Need an opinion

kg007

Hey guys -

Need an opinion here... Anybody here uses Rogaine 5% (regular liquid) just once a day? if so, was it effective? I think I want to start using it, but can't use it in the morn because of the greasiness, so I plan to use it just at night... anybody with similar experience?/ opinion?

Thanks,

KG

Hey guys -

Need an opinion here... Anybody here uses Rogaine 5% (regular liquid) just once a day? if so, was it effective? I think I want to start using it, but can't use it in the morn because of the greasiness, so I plan to use it just at night... anybody with similar experience?/ opinion?

Thanks,

KG

kg007,

It was a pleasure talking with you on the phone the other night. Though I know you have a lot of questions in your mind about which doctor to select for your third HT, I'm sure with proper research you will make a good choice.

Many people have held firm to use of Rogaine liquid 5% once a day is just as effective as twice a day even though its suggested use is twice a day. I hope you get the responses you are looking for. Unfortunately, long term, minoxodil didn't do anything for me.

Bill

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately once daily is not equal to twice daily. A crossover study was conducted comparing subjects who switched from twice daily to once daily, all subjects lost hair. If you wish to utilize a once daily regimen, consider also adding Retin-A to your routine. A study has proven that this is equivalent to twice daily applications.

Ozzie,

Retin-A penetrates the outermost skin layer (straum corneum) causing it to thin. This helps increase absorption of the minoxidil into the balding scalp which is why it may prove to be beneficial. In itself however, it doesn't do anything to treat baldness.

Take caution though. I have talked to a few patients who have used a Retin-A / minoxidil combination and it led to severe irritation of the scalp and sensitivity of the skin. I would recommend if you are going to try Remox or another Retain-A / minoxidil treatment product, you may want to start with a smaller dosage and work your way up if it doesn't cause any scalp irritation. Consulting with a dermatologist or hair loss doctor would also be wise.

Bill

Actually Retin-A alone will promote hair growth in 58% of participants, through reversal of perifollicular fibrosis and vascular proliferation. Some speculation exists that a stem cell influence may also exist. Undoubtally most subjects employ it's use in combination with minoxidil. One other point, using Retin-A separately would be advisable since some data exists that the two may react when combined over long term, also using it separately allows users control on customizing its application to regulate individual reactions to the drug. Just wanted to clarify the point.

Bazzano GS, Terezakis N, and Galen W: Topical tretinoin for hair growth promotion. J Am Acad Dermatol 15:880-883, 1986