Worried about results from recent procedure

Hello all,

I recently had a hairline procedure of around 1600 grafts done with one of this networks recommended doctors. The results by day four however are quite disheartening mainly because it looks like I have a hair dust around my head and one can see clearly through to the scalp. Please look at the before and after photos and let me know if you believe 1600 grafts were truly placed because with the sparse coverage I have now up front and the relatively small area to be covered I have my doubts. You can use the relatively few hairs up front at what used to be my widows peak as a reference to hairline etc.

Is this as good as it is going to get? Or will things thicken up? I will be bringing up my concerns regarding this procedure at the end of the week but I wanted your input here first to to see if you all think I am being irrational.

Thank you all

Picture011.jpgPicture006.jpg

poobah,

I have edited your post only for the purpose of properly displaying the photos which they weren't previously.

I can understand why you are disheartened as it appears that you have already started to experience early signs of shock loss.

At only day 10, it is way too early to make any kind of assessment. Do you have any pictures of your hair transplant immediately after surgery? This will help us get a better idea of where the grafts were placed without the shock loss.

The good news is, shock loss is typically temporary unless the hairs were transected (not much of a worry if you are in the hands of a first-rate physician), or the hairs were going to fall out anyway due to genetic hair loss.

The bad news is that the first 3 to 5 months can often be very discouraging as you will often look worse before looking better. Feel free to follow the link to my hair restoration journey below. Clicking on the links to each surgical photo album in the story will lead you to a number of pictures where I looked terrible and I too was really depressed about it.

In the meantime, hang in there. All you can do is wait it out.

Who was your physician by the way?

Best wishes,

Bill

Welcome poobah,

1st off how many days posy-op are you?You do know that your transplanted hairs are are gonna look alot thicker and fuller the longer they get and that alone is going to make your hair look alot denser.

Dr Hasson 2-08

Actually I need to edit that. I just checked the date on those photos again. The after photo is actually only 4 days post op. That is too early to experience shock loss, no?

I would figure that four days post op, and no shock loss I should be looking alot fuller with 1600 grafts up front but I dont.

Poobah,

Firstly we need before pics before we can fully assess the number of grafts. Also, you are aware that the grafts will fall out shortly correct? I hope your doc fully explained things to you.

I personally think that things look pretty darn good. Hopefully you have somewhat realistic expectations of what can be achieved. The truth of the matter is that 1600 grafts is just an average size session. Give things time.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

I believe his second picture IS the before picture, not the after picture.

poobah,

Early shock loss can occur so I won't say this is completely uncommon.

If you have any immediately postoperative photos (day of or day 1), that would be helpful in getting a better idea of the number of grafts transplanted.

Bill

Here is the day one picture:

Thanks for responding icon_smile.gif

Does it look like they shaved the front of my head with a razor pre-op? What are al those small little hairs. I have no recollection of them mentioning this or even doing it though. WOuld this be standard procedure?

Picture007.jpg

Oops. My bad. Yes, I believe that they shaved your recipient area therefore it looks worse. Keep in mind that there may be some shockloss as Bill mentioned.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Poobah,

Your one day post op looks pretty similar to your day 4. It looks like your recipient area was shaved down because I can see the stubbles of your native hairs. It looks to be clean work. Shock loss at day 1 or 4 would be too early. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think you will have decent coverage in a year's time. Very nice quality photos by the way. Heal well.

poobah,

Looking at your day 1 postoperative picture, I would tend to agree that the recipient area was shaved which is why it looks worse than it actually is. I couldn't tell from the day 4 picture if the stubble was native or transplanted hair but I agree that it is probably the stubble from the native hair being shaved.

From what I can see from your day 1 picture along with the others now, everything looks really good in my opinion.

The fact that you weren't aware however, that the recipient area was shaved seems a bit strange. You may want to talk with your physician about it.

I hope you will stick around and share your experience and monthly update photos with us by creating a hair loss weblog.

Best wishes,

Bill

Counterpoint:

Given the density of red dots I see under the hair, this does not look like 1600.

Looks like maybe 500 around the front hairline, with another 200 larger interspersed throughtout rest of middle and some in temples.

We usually see much more redness and scalp trauma when 1600 are confined to the front inch of hairline. At 4 days id expect to see more trauma. Also some of the grafts look larger.

Looks good to me

If you went with one of the coalition docs, my guess would be you are just fine.. Call the doc if you are concerned

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!