Confidentiality of having the procedure

Hi, I'm Joey 44 year old from NYC with significant hair loss in frontal area. I consulted with Dr. Feller and have decided to go through with the procedure sometime this year. I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Feller and feel comfortable being in his care. My problem is, being so vain and deeply conscious about my myself, how many days will it really take before I could go back to my normal routine without anyone undoubtedly noticing or even have the slightest inkling that I had the procedure. I asked this question with Dr. Feller but I'd like to get my answers directly from people who have undergone this procedure and better yet those who have had felt this way prior to havin their procedure. Thanks.

Hi, I'm Joey 44 year old from NYC with significant hair loss in frontal area. I consulted with Dr. Feller and have decided to go through with the procedure sometime this year. I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Feller and feel comfortable being in his care. My problem is, being so vain and deeply conscious about my myself, how many days will it really take before I could go back to my normal routine without anyone undoubtedly noticing or even have the slightest inkling that I had the procedure. I asked this question with Dr. Feller but I'd like to get my answers directly from people who have undergone this procedure and better yet those who have had felt this way prior to havin their procedure. Thanks.

joey... I so totally feel the way you do. I guess, it all depends on how you wear your hair now. Do you have ample hair to cover the Ht? What is your normal routine? If you milk cows for a living you should be all right; if you work on Wall Street, probably not.

It was a couple a weeks after the Ht before my head felt normal again (non-alien appendage.) However, you'll go through a partial Ht shed, a dormant stage, slow regrowth and your scalp will remain slightly pink in the areas where your dr. packs the FU's tight together. I'm ten wks. post-op and although the Ht is growing it is still very obviuos because I wear my hair long (no comb over or concealers) but I've been wearing a hat for years and this easly covers it up. Also, you will experience many pimples or ingrown hair on top of your head that, if Ray Charles was still alive could see.

My best guess at HT being totally un-noticeable or atleast meshes with other hair is 8+ months. Check with the real veterans there! It's a long process... I hope you have time and the resources to hide it. Of course you don't have to hide it, but if you're like me the only people that know I had this done are the dr. and his staff. I've hid it well ever since.

But don't let any of that stop you. In the long run, if the procedure is done properly, you will look better. Out of curiosity, what did Dr. Feller tell you?

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

Zerro, I hope that you don't mean to insinuate that someone will not be able to walk around with no indication of a surgical procedure until 8+ months post-op. If you are referring to the procedure being "grown in" and thus matching the naturally-growing hair surrounding, then that would all depend on how long the patient's naturally-growing hair is.

As far as how long the redness and unnatural appearance left over from a procedure will last, then that all depends on the skill of the physician, the refinement of the procedure, and the healing characteristics of the patient.

If you want a great example of how fast a hair transplant patient can return to a "natural" state of appearance after a procedure, check out this healing progression of a recent Dr. Robert Bernstein patient:

Dr. Bernstein Patient - 2,002 FUT

At just 7 days post-op this patient has healed to a point that only a hint of redness remains. At 14 days post-op, one would be hard-pressed to locate any signs of surgery.

Thereafter, the transplanted hairs will begin to sprout slowly, but steadily. Each week there will be new hair after about month 4, but it is a gradual change and not an abrupt one. You won't have a wall of hair where there was none the week before, so it is not as noticeable as some may think.

I hope that this helps to answerr your questions.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

If you want a great example of how fast a hair transplant patient can return to a "natural" state of appearance after a procedure, check out this healing progression of a recent Dr. Robert Bernstein patient:

Hey Robert, those pics look great! But I asked joey if he had ample hair to cover up the Ht. Clearly this patient does.

True, I checked my notes and at 7 days my scalp looked normal and at 15 days the pinkish tint was barely visible. However, don't pretend like you don't know what I mean. Quarter inch lifeless stubble sticking out all over your head, after a week the shedd begins some hair goes some doesn't, so you may have one side with hair the other with none, the pimples, the flaky scabs even though their very tiny in size and almost transparent in color and there's probably more that didn't affect me... but I hear a lot about shedding.

All I'm saying is that within the first month or so, a Ht is very visible unless one can cover it up. I would certainly be able to pick one out of a crowd. And, it would be even easier inside an executive board room.

The shorter a person wears their hair, perhaps they could get by in a dark environment. But there is just no way in an office. If a person wears their hair long, as I stated, it's going to be a much, much longer time frame.

Perhaps, I'm more critical about my own head than others would be because I know I've had an Ht. Like me, joey sounds like he is very self-judgemental also, and would probably freak if anyone mentioned it. Perhaps others wouldn't be aware of it; perhaps they wouldn't say anything; likely though, they most definately would.

I said "check with the real veterans there," you are one of the real veterans and I respect your opinion, but I can't hardly believe anyone would suggest unless one can cover it up, at just after two weeks post-op no one would notice. I want to fill in the back soon, likely I will not do it until next summer vacation when I can hide it, which would probably be the least obvious area to other people.

I guess what I'm insinuating is (in my first post) "it all depends on how you wear your hair now" and "do you have ample hair to cover it up." Also I stated, "don't let that stop you. In the long run... you will look better."

Please don't think I'm not taking a pot shot at you here... I totally respect what you, Pat and the others are doing here. What I said, was just my honest opinion. It may not be an accurate account for everyone... just my experience. And, if I was joey or anyone else I would certainly take your advice over an arogant but very humble person like me. Sorry, if I spoke out of turn.

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

I thank you both, Zerro and Robert, for your advise. It truly helps to learn from your experiences and honest opinions of what I should expect after I have the procedure. Actually, the more I think about this and gain more knowledge about HT the more comfortable I feel about myself and it surely lessens the pressure on my being self conscious of what others might say or think. After all I know based on the many issues discussed in this forum that in the long run I will reap the benefits from this. Again thanks to you both for sharing and actually caring about other peoples concerns.

No need for an apology, Zerro. I think I understand more clearly what you meant, however in your original post it sounded as if a surgery patient would look "unfinished" (for lack of a better term) for 8 months post-op. I just wanted to post that series to show that that isn't the case.

Transplanted hairs typically begin shedding at around 3 to 4 weeks post-op. Some may stick around but most will shed and the follicles will go into a dormant period. Other than these short hairs, the patient will look much like he/she did prior to the procedure.

Like everything, however, everyone is different. Patients heal differently and everything is dependant on the skill of the physician, of course.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hey Joey, that very concern has been my biggest one too. talked to countless people. everyone has a different opinion. i guess it really does depend upon the extent of your hairloss, the way you wear it, and the number of grafts you get. hairline is always going to be bit more visible, and take longer (i would say 2 months, and even then you would need some sorta coverup, like toppik). crown can be easily disguised with toppik after a week or 10 days.

By the way, what exactly did Dr. Feller say regarding this?

good luck, and please keep us posted.

Paris.

Joey

. . . and in 9-12 months - when the 'frontal area' is more luxuriant than the armpit of an Oran-utan . . . what are you going to tell your pals then?

You are about to have your genetic disfigurement (considerably) reversed - you should feel totally LIBERATED by the experience (and future expectancy) the moment you leave the surgery.

My advice would be to grasp the nettle, sod what anyone else 'might' notice and get your life back at the earliest opportunity. My ploy was to get a change of hairstyle the day before surgery (you can try almost anything from highlights to binning the combover - but keep it longish at the back). You'll have a week or two of saline solution, hairwash 'n' gauze treatment to get rid of the encrustation and any colouration, as mentioned in previous posts (you're 44 - so it takes a little longer to heal than a 20 year old, right?) . . . but then just get out there and mix it with everyone. With the all-over changes to your hair's appearance ( - any significant re-style will do) - I'll guarantee no-one will notice the 'stubble' at the front. . . . If they do, I'll give you your money back.

Take a short 'post HT' holiday Joey - Give it a week or two, then throw your self-consciousness in the bin - together with your baseball cap! . . . I did - and I was a Norwood 5 !!

Regards, Sorleyboy

Good thread! Saved me from having to ask the exact same question. I've got three things in common with you Joey; similar age, I'm going to have my HT with Dr Feller and I have the exact same fear about what I'm going to look like post-op and for how long. I have booked two weeks vacation for the HT so I'll have 10 days post-op recovery time before returning to work. Those Dr Bernstein photos Robert posted helped calm my nerves though (especially after reading Zerro's frightening post icon_wink.gif).

PB

Hey paris, I haven't actually seen Dr Feller yet as I live in Europe. I did meet Specs, who does consultations in the UK for Dr Feller (and posts here), and according to his experience 2 weeks should be enough for any major evidence of the HT to have disappeared. I'll find out personally in November. I'll also find out if the healing process is slower for a 45 year old than it is for somebody in their 20's and let you know.

PB

Guys, here are some more progression series to give you an idea of just how the healing process goes:

3,974 FUT by True & Dorin Medical Group

1,525 FUT by Dr. Robert Dorin

...and of course, you can see my own healing series right here:

2,300 FUT by Dr. Jerry Cooley

-Robert

Excellent pictures! Looks like a ball cap will be needed until the transplanted hairs shed. It would be interesting to see 6 month post op pics of those two other guys.

Joey . . . Yer healing process (from Birmingham Uni. 'Medweb' (UK)) . . .

Wound healing.

The time course of healing by repair and the amount of scar tissue formed depend on factors such as the extent of tissue damage, presence of persisting infection, inflammation, etc.

The relatively simple, rapid proces of healing in a clean skin wound which has been closed promptly and where tissue damage is minimal (e.g. a surgical incision) is termed healing by primary intention. In this situation the epidermis regenerates across the gap quickly and successfully,the volume of tissue into which granulation tissue has to grow is small, and the amount of fibrous scar produced is minimal.

Healing of an open wound where there is significant tissue loss, or where there is ongoing tissue damage from infection is termed healing by secondary intention. In this situation the amount of granulation tissue formed may be sustantial, scar contraction much greater, and re-epithelialisation less complete.

Factors influencing healing: -

The rate of healing and the success of formation of scar tissue can be limited by many adverse factors. Some of the local and systemic factors which are of importance clinically are as follows:

Local:

Persisting infection, foreign material or other stimulus to inflammation

Inadequate blood supply

Excessive movement

Irradiation

Locally applied drugs, e.g. corticosteroids

Systemic:

Age: the healing process becomes slower and less effective with increasing age.

Nutritional deficiencies, e.g. vitamin C, zinc, protein

Metabolic diseases, e.g. renal failure, diabetes mellitus

Catabolic state associated with malignancies

Systemic drugs, e.g. corticosteroids

. . . If you've ever played contact sports (and at our age!!) you'll know what I mean about recovery time . . . and what to expect.

Best regards - Sorleyboy

Although I did not personaly try to actively hide the fact that I had gotten a HT done, very few people that I did not tell about it, knew that I had anything done. Lots and Lots of people that did know I had it done said that they could not tell I had anything done for the most part after two weeks like Robert said.

I know that when I was thinking about having a HT, some of the photo's I saw of patients right after surgery looked like they had been beaten in the head with a baseball bat. A real bloody mess. Then there were others that there was very little to see. Mine was not real bloody or messy, but you could see for a couple of weeks the grafts that were placed and the very tiny holes where they went. After that between the sheding of the grafts and the healing process you were hard pressed to know what happened. I'm sure this is different for everyone depending on the skill of your surgeon and how fast you heal and how well you take care of the wounds after the HT.

I hope this helps but you should really keep in mind that the end is worth the meens no matter what.(assuming you pick a really skilled Doctor,this is the most important part in my opinion) 6 months into it you won't care anymore because you will have hair growing back where there was none.

Very reassuring! I had a look at your 7 month pics - you looked better already 12 hours post op than pre op. Amazing that there wasn't even any redness. Excellent results at 7 months. How old are you?

True, the skill of the doctor is extremely vital. I'll conceed to everyone that at 14 days or so, for the most part, the redness and the scabs will be minimally visible. However, because the public is now aware of Ht's via infomercials and such, how does one explain new hair growth where there was once none. How does one explain away donar hair that did not shed? How does one explain away the pimples or ingrown hairs? And, if you have severe shock loss what do you tell people?

I do however, agree with Nashville Kat, after one moves beyond this period of visibility, 6 mo plus, when finally your new hair is contributing and making a significant difference, one should not care anymore.

In the photos showing the progression of healing, it seemed like the crown tended to heal a bit quicker than the frontal hairline. Is this common?

Again, thanks to all for your advice and comments.

Actually, that is a little deceiving. The frontal area heals very quickly because the incisions are smaller (to accept smaller single and double hair FU's.) However, the frontal area is more densely packed with FU's (more incisions,) so it tends to stay rosy or pink in color longer. Three and Four FU's are reserved for the crown or further away from the hairline. Though, it takes a little longer for the FU's to heal, they in fact heal rather quickly also (within days.) Word of advice... stay away from anyone who bundles FU's together. It's not a natural look. 2 doubles FU's does not make a single quad-unit. Make sure you ask that question! If the dr. says that they do-jump ship immediately.

Thanks again for your advice Zerro. Well, it looks like I may add one more Doc to my list of potential candidates for my HT - Dr. Griffin, in Atlanta. The location is good and his interviews posted on this site seemed impressive. Does anyone have an opinion on Dr. Griffin? or Dr. Fisher in Nashville? Thanks,

Hey guys.....I am off for a HT this Tuesday. As I wear my hair almost shaved completely, I am wondering what type of hat you guys recomend I use to cover the sutures and implants? I could care less if anyone knows I had a HT, I just do not want to gross anyone out!!!!! icon_eek.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by the B spot:

. . . As I wear my hair almost shaved completely, I am wondering what type of hat you guys recomend I use to cover the sutures and implants? . . . I just do not want to gross anyone out!!!!!

Initially I tried an enormous chef's hat pulled down to the chin - but then having been mistaken one night for a sneak-thief, I swapped that for a whicker rubbish basket. After a few days I found that a large paper bag was more comfortable - and less aggressive on the crown area implants . . . After a couple of weeks you'll find that by pressing your back up against buildings and using your hands to feel your way forward, you can slither round the streets without showing anyone the back of your head. . . . worked for me!

Sorleyboy

I couldn't relate more. I am considering using Dr. Feller myself and I have the same exact issues. Its amazing how disparate the responses are when talking post op. I've heard everything from 1 week to 6 Months as far as how detectable the HT could be to the naked eye. I'm going to ask Feller if its possible to see a 1 or 2 week post op in person. H'm a NW 3a/4 and I thought I could cover it up but now I'm not sure at all. What did Feller say himself? Also did you consult w any other docs? Have you seen any of his patients in person?? Very interested in your feedback. This is the 1 issue that's very confusing