after a HT, keeping your head looking up to minimize donor strip scarring

azn_guy

Hey Guys,

This may sound stupid, but I'm sure several folks may have had this question at one point in time.

After having a HT, many folks are worried about donor strip scarring due to stretching.

Why not keep your head looking "up", it'll take less stress on the donor scar since you're not "stretching" the skin in the back of your head

Currently just trying it out, I can look up and feel the back of my head and there is obviously less tension.

Any thoughts? I can imagine looking up for 6 months may be outlandish, but some folks will go at great lengths to have the smallest scar possible.

azn_guy,

It doesn't sound stupid at all - in fact, it's very logical. Yet, I don't know anyone who could really keep their head looking up for 3 months straight. Instead, the idea is not to do anything to strain the donor area such as put your chin to your chest or any exercises in the gym that could strain it.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill is right. Go live your life, just don't unduly stress your suture line. If you had a good closure and you are a normal healer, you should be fine.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by Leeson:

Wear a kneck brace for 3 months and tell your friends you were in a car accident icon_smile.gif

That's a really good way to hide the HT and still have an excuse!

hm...

I agree to live life, but I personally wouldn't mind "suffering" 2 months simply to have the "perfect" scar icon_smile.gif or at least the "best possible" scar.

I would feel guilty knowing I accidentally did something that caused the scar to stretch...it's like spraining your ankle and you tell yourself you're going to play basketball anyways and fight through the pain and then you hurt your ankle even more as a result. It would have been much better not playing basketball for 2 weeks and let your ankle heal the correct way.