Dr. Gallagher, Philadelphia

Nobody is doing decent work in Philly. Cancel your appointment--if you're not sure of your choice w/ a week to go, that's reason enough to cancel. Get educated, talk to more potential doctors, and don't be afraid to travel to get the best work done rather than stay local w/ a doctor who's got no good patient feedback on a board like this. Since you're here, do some reading, learn about the coalition docs, and don't rush into things with a medical nonentity....

To be honest I've investigated potential doctors and felt good about two. Dr. Pistone in NJ and Gallagher. I selected Gallagher because I did feel at ease with him. But postings from this site are making me second guess myself.

If I was you I would take a long look at Dhuge's experience and results with Pistone. It doesn't appear that he is doing the most advanced procedures and his results look below average. Trust me, from personal experience and two bad HT's, before I found a great doc and got it done right.

Guest Rickmonius

By all means cancel and make a commitment to talk to some of the coalition doctors before doing anything. Travel should be a non-issue. If it is an issue you are crazy. Have you seen the pictures of bad HTs and read the horror stories? Don't risk it my man.

If you think you're self-conscious now try to imagine life after a butcher job. Your chances of that happening are significantly higher without due diligence.

Pistone's not a good choice either. Search for a guy on here named "dhuge67" to read all about his disappointments the last 9 months. I think you need to start all over. It doesn't sound like you know enough to make a decision you'll be happy with the rest of your life. And I'd hate to see you rush into things and end up back here asking about repair work or where you should go for round 2. We're all here to help you, so take a deep breath and remember that what you get done will be permanent, so you don't want to make any mistakes!

hi rjvw,

The doctors you have mentioned produce mediocre HT's at best. You should not even think about getting your head cut open unless you are completely confident in the results they can produce. This means evaluating many of their patient results in photos and in person.

The very fact that you are unsure means you havent done enough research. Do yourself a favour and spend the time and research to find the best doctor for you as the results (good or bad) will be with you for a lifetime.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I disagree that there is nobody doing quality work in Philadelphia, however, I will say, it will depend on your needs. Dr. Katz did my first surgery and it went very well. Even Pat has visited his clinic and has stated that they do true Follicular Unit Transplantation, so that is good. I do, however, think he limits himself in the number of grafts he extracts at a time. He gave me a very thin scar, even better than the one from Dr. True, my personal opinion, and the growth was optimum....it's just that the number of grafts were finite. Of course, in Dr. True's defense, this was my second surgery, so the scar may not have been as thin because of that....yet even the scar I have with Dr. True is pretty good...about average I'd say.

Anyway...some might argue with me and say simply because Dr. Katz limits himself on the number of grafts per session that he isn't a good surgeon...but I disagree. However, I think it will depend on what your needs are...if you need a larger number of grafts, consider going elsewhere.

Obviously for me, I went from Katz to True to Hasson. If I was going to do it all over again, and this is no offense to Katz or True, I would have probably started with Hasson, simply because he seems to be able to get the greatest number of grafts and still create a small thin scar. That way, just maybe I could have done everything in one or two sessions.

Bill

• Administrators

Bill,

Just to set the record straight, I have not yet been to Dr. Katz's office to see him do surgery. I tried to visit his clinic last fall when I was in his area but we did not connect. So you have more heads on experience with him than me :-)

But I agree with your assesment - he provides solid follicular unit grafting but his session sizes are limited.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not like my experience with Dr. Gallagher. I have 2 stretched scars after 3 scar reductions from another Dr., none of them could really close as too much was taken out by Dr. Gallagher.

I was misinformed and overcharged. There were many discrepencies between what Tom (salesperson) said and then what Dr. Gallagher had told me.

He does coupled fue's and they do not look as natural as an ultra refined session.