Really down & need hair transplant advice. (incl. pics of my balding head)

I am thirty-six and have been losing hair steadily since I was about eighteen. I am a single guy who is otherwise in good physical shape but I am really self conscious now that my hairline is this far gone. These pics are in completely unflattering light of course, but it shows just how diffuse my straight brown hair really is across the whole top.

There seems to be a lot of good advice here. What do you experts think about my prospects for a decent result with a modern hair transplant? I am based in South FL and I know from reading the forum that there are at least one or more top notch ht doctors in the area.

Has anyone else has a satisfactory result with a ht with a hairline like this? How many grafts might it take and what kind of investment am I looking at?

Here are links to the pics:

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL1.JPG

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL2.JPG

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL3.JPG

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL4.JPG

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL5.JPG

I am thirty-six and have been losing hair steadily since I was about eighteen. I am a single guy who is otherwise in good physical shape but I am really self conscious now that my hairline is this far gone. These pics are in completely unflattering light of course, but it shows just how diffuse my straight brown hair really is across the whole top.

There seems to be a lot of good advice here. What do you experts think about my prospects for a decent result with a modern hair transplant? I am based in South FL and I know from reading the forum that there are at least one or more top notch ht doctors in the area.

Has anyone else has a satisfactory result with a ht with a hairline like this? How many grafts might it take and what kind of investment am I looking at?

Here are links to the pics:

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL1.JPG

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL2.JPG

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL3.JPG

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL4.JPG

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/10977/HL5.JPG

welcome to the forum. check out Pat the publishers "Visits to Leading Hair Transplant Clinics" thread. he visited a whole bunch of clinics in FL, you can see some of the work goin on in that part of the country.

by looking at your loss, i would saw you need about 3500 grafts or so. perhaps more but i think that would provide decent coverage...you need to make decisions on what you want to accomplish. are you interested in total coverage, hairline only, a mix. costs these days are about $3.50-$5.00 a graft, but there is usually overage so the effective cost is a bit lower. Id say the investment will be about 5-9 grand, depending. i would also say dont go in for less than 2,000 grafts as you need more and it will just leave you wanting more. getting a good HT is addicting... im starting to realize that myself.

do your research, study these forums and ask as many questions as you need to in order to make an informed decision.

good luck,

cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

in FL, you can see some of the work goin on in that part of the country.

..you need to make decisions on what you want to accomplish. are you interested in total coverage, hairline only, a mix.

Yeahh good info. in the other thread. I was impressed by Dr. Jeffrey Epstein's clinic nearby in Miami. I pretty much am interested in coverage across the top of my head, not just in the front of my hairline.

Originally posted by JacobS:

hope you are on propecia.

I never took Propecia because it wasn't previously available and now I would be scared of the much publicized side effects on my libido, which is working phenomenally now that I am taking a daily application of 10% testosterone gel. And I figured I am kind of far gone now to get much out of it.

Hi

I've been on Propecia for 5 years now and there are no side effects. Most drugs list Sexual side effects due to a psychological effect it can have on people ... Personally, I don't believe in that ..

I had a great HT In NY with Dr. True. at almost 7 months I could not be happier and looking forward to the next 5 months of growth!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

HL_sufferer -

Since you're new to the forum, let me give you some pointers.

- Get on propecia. Side affects occurs in very few people. I have been on it for more than 4 years without any side effects.

- Use Rogaine ONLY if you're going to commit for the rest of your life. Rogaine is pain in ass to use it. It works, but if you stop using it, you will suffer more hair loss. (Most people stop using it eventually and then regret being on it in first place.... like myself)

- Don't try any of the other stuff like lotions and tablets and shampoos and stuff.. It will NOT regrown any hair.

I agree Dr. Epstein's work is amazing.

I hope this helps.

KG

Originally posted by kg007:

HL_sufferer -

- Get on propecia. Side affects occurs in very few people. I have been on it for more than 4 years without any side effects.

KG

I am really afraid of the potential side effects of Propecia, even though many people report no side effects. I already had intermittant libido & sexual performance problems in the recent past before I got on testosterone replacement therapy (for my health and libido, unrelated to hair loss) and I don't want to chance it. And the rogaine I tried in my 20's made my feel bloated and gave me heart palpitations when I laid down so I stopped in after a few months..

You look like a great candidate for surgery. The reason to at least try finasteride is to prevent further loss, meaning you ideally want to prevent the back and sides from receding downward.

How many grafts you need is a difficult question. Personally I think the estimates you have received so far are too conservative. About 3,000 will fill in the hairline to midscalp nicely. You would need another 2,000 to 2,500 to deal with the rest. Best bet is to talk to some of the top docs to plan a strategy. Since you're already in FLA, you do have some excellent choices so start there and keep researching until you're confident.

Originally posted by tymman:

HL- what's the 10%testosterone gel???

It's a hormone therapy I started on recently to fix my somewhat low natural testosterone level. It's most serious effect is that it has so far greatly enhanced my libido and sexual function, which makes me happy.

At least call Dr Paul Rose in Tampa. I am also 36 ane just had 1205 FU done by him-- very happy with the results. I live in Nashville TN (yes I drove 700 miles to see him). I searched serveral places and he was dead on the mark with his analysis. He treated a 30 square cm area with around 30-40 fu per cm2. I am not saying go with him, it is just that he will call you back and give you real numbers. Use the graft calculator on his site under animations. You can play with the number yourself.

HL-- Dude dont get down-- your lucky in the fact that you have donor available and there are natural looking options available. yes many have had hairlines like yours and look Great after surgery with a TOP notch surgeon. I would recommend keeping your spirits up-- take Propecia and rogain 5% with MSM now while your decide which surgeon-- make a good decision and go for it-- in 6 months your be loving yourself (look at the best surgeons for natural hairline results-- Dr. Shapiro did awesome job for me)

Dont know how many grafts given your pics but looks like you have the donor for 4-5K

HL_sufferer,

You have been getting some really outstanding advice from other forum members already, but I wanted to give you some links for your perusal:

Visits to leading hair transplant clinics - Pat, publisher of this community recently toured leading hair restoration clinics in South Florida and reported his findings.

Hair Transplant Network Multimedia Center - The graft calculator mentioned by rpm is located here along with videos and other interactive educational tools to help you in your research on surgical hair restoration.

Recommended physicians in Florida

Welcome to the forums and best of luck to you in your research.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I'm amazed at the people here telling you to take Propecia. The cost of taking the drug for the rest of your life would pay for several HTs. I agree with the folks who say that it looks like you have great donor hair. You appear to be a great candidate for a procedure. That's just my opinion. HL, if I were in your position, I would plan for 2 procedures - 1st do the hairline and forelock area with as many grafts as you can afford. Then plan for HT #2 a year later for the crown.

There are some great docs in Fla - read lots of posts here and you should get a good feeling for who they are. Also, if you do go through with a procedure (and I hope you do) keep us up to date with pictures. It will be great to see the awesome results that I feel you will get.

Ok let's drop the trade names. We're telling him that finasteride is a good idea for many reasons (dutasteride is the other option but I'd be talking to a doctor before I got on that). Propecia itself (1mg finasteride per tablet) might be expensive (nowhere near expensive enough to pay for several HT's) but Proscar (5mg finasteride per tablet) is cheap and a pill cutter is even cheaper. I cut my Proscar into fifths so a box with 30 tablets lasts me 150 days (box of 30 tablets is somewhere around $50 depending on your currency). I actually buy the real stuff, too, and I know guys get generic finasteride online for less.

Originally posted by JohnH:

I'm amazed at the people here telling you to take Propecia.

And I'm amazed at those who start their fight against hairloss without taking it. Finasteride should be an ESSENTIAL part of any long-term plan to keep your hair. Don't take it and continue to watch your original hair fall, whatever the size or the number of HTs.

Originally posted by spoon:

I cut my Proscar into fifths

Man, you know, I've never managed to do that. Cutting it into 4 equal pieces is hard enough, forget 5. You must be a cut grandmaster icon_wink.gif

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Originally posted by hairworthy:

And I'm amazed at those who start their fight against hairloss without taking it. Finasteride should be an ESSENTIAL part of any long-term plan to keep your hair. Don't take it and continue to watch your original hair fall, whatever the size or the number of HTs.

I agree 100%. I won't say that finasteride, dutasteride, minoxidil, or any other medication is the only answer, but they all have their strong points and each one has helped thousands of men keep and/or regrow hair. That is a fact. SOme have reservations about side effects, and that is a personal decision and one that should not be taken lightly. However, the decision belongs to you and only you.

If posters were not advocating the use of finasteride or other medication or at least mentioning it then some important stress that the issue deserves may pass this fellow by. Point out the cons as well as the pros but don't simply imply that taking the medication is a waste of time.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Spoon, you're right - Proscar is a cheaper way to go. I just don't like the thought of taking a drug for the rest of my life. Also knowing that if you ever stop for more than a few weeks - there goes all of the results. For HL - he has already lost most of his hair on top. His baldness is taking a toll on his personal life as he sounds quite discouraged. With his excellant looking donor area - a 3000 FU or so procedure will do wonders for his self confidence.