using nizoral daily

I use it daily as well. I agree with how I like the fact that it makes my head feel clean and it seems to give my hair volume. As for whether it is bad to use daily, I would not know. However, I don't think there would be an issue other than burning through some rather expensive shampoo faster than usual.

• Moderators

I also use it everyday.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Chris,

I don't see a harm using it every day as long as you don't find that your scalp and hair is getting overly dry. Personally for me, I could only really use it 3 times a week and even then my scalp and hair were drying out.

The study for 2% ketoconazole (active ingredient in Nizoral) was between 2-4 times weekly. I am not positive whether or not using it every day will have any additional benefit.

Bill

I used to use it but now I use Revita which is much gentler and has other good ingredients in it as well.

As long as it has the ketoconazole I am ok with it ..

Give it a try

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I use nizoral 3 times a week, and nioxin cleansing shampoo (says it gets rid of DHT, but who knows) or a dandruff shampoo alternating inbetween, and then a moisturizing/volumizing shampoo for the rest of the days. we get 2% nizoral relatively cheap here in canada and without prescription.

• 4 years later...

The reason the bottle indicates to not use this shampoo daily is because the fungus it is trying to control can build a resistance to it as well as more of the active ingredient will be absorbed with more use. This was originally a prescription product and their original testing likely found that a higher dosage concentration was needed to kill the fungus, but daily use meant too much was absorbed into the body where it is not wanted. Furthermore, their testing has probably shown that you simply do not need to use this product daily. And at $15 a bottle.....

Keep in mind that the mechanism of action for this drug in relation to hair loss is not 100% known. Although it might have an anti-androgen property, it is more likely the drug's anti-fungal property that helps with hair loss.

Yeast fungus called Malassezia globosa is present on everyone's scalp. The by product of these organisms is an acid which penetrates the scalp causing an inflammatory reaction. In some people this reaction causes a massive increase in skin shedding called dandruff. In others.... hair loss.

You don't want to do anything that will reduce the anti-fungal efficacy of this product. Therefore, it is suggested to periodically kill any fungus that is resistant to ketoconazole by using a different product if you plan on using Nizoral daily.