Hts and women

Julius

The closest I could come to answering this question would be something that happened to me ~1year post-op:

I had just moved, and ended up dating a girl from a new circle of friends. She was (and unfortunately still is icon_smile.gif) the most gorgeous girl I had ever actually known, let alone dated.

We were out one night going to a club and I was ID'd; both a bit tipsy, I dropped my wallet, the contents scattered onto the ground. The girl goes to pick everything up, stumbling through the contents, haphazardly ending up with my driver's liscense at the top of the heap (I wear my wallet extra-bulky, a'la George Costanza).

She holds my drivers liscense up in the air, and of course I simply ask for my liscense so as to go in. In an absolute tone of absolute incredulity and disbelief, she asks me where my "real liscense" is, and after a minute of unraveling the confusion in the air she said she honestly didn't recognize me and thought it was a fake/joke card.

I told her it was darker than it really was and that I actually don't look that different in the picture. I made sure to never have my wallet within a mile radius of her eyesight again.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Great story thana, the fact that she never cottoned on gives me real hope. I think I would probably die from embarrassment if I had to admit to having a ht as there is a real social stigma attached to them.

Thx, I mean, the one plus to the social stigma that still exists about HTs, is that the public's ignorance as to the true nature of things, and the quality a HT can have makes it difficult for people to really detect a HT for being a HT as they suspect a HT must look like some monstrosity, let alone something natural and pleasing.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Thana, you know now it's possible that she thinks you wear a hairpiece. That's probably the go-to position for someone who notices that a guy has vastly improved hair.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

lol, I'd prefer her to think I had a transplant than wore a piece icon_smile.gif

I succeeded in keeping my H/T a secret, but it's hard work in the first couple of months, wearing a hat etc..

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

This thread has gotten me thinking. No one except a few family members know I got a HT. Since I see my friends and co-workers all the time and the hair growth has been just gradual and not dramatic all at once (although it has been very dramatic over 7 mos), they really haven't noticed. However, some friends who haven't seen me in awhile were totally blown away by my hair (this happened when I didn't think much was changing by the way - shows how little we can tell about our own progress without photos to compare). What do I say in these situations? So far, I've just kind of quietly chalked it up to clean living and quickly changed the subject. However, that ain't gonna work long, especially if I go back and get some crown coverage. I go from pretty much completely balding to having a big head of hair? People notice that (and ain't that the point?). I know when I go home to family this Thanksgiving, my other family members that don't know are going to be shocked. So I'm just going to have to start telling people yeah, I got some work done. What the hell, I'm a young 42 and have a lot of living left to do. What would they do if they were going bald and had a chance to do something about it? Wouldn't they jump at the chance? The great majority sure as hell would if they could.

As for gals, will I tell future girlfriends? If I got close to one, yeah, I would without any worries. If she had any problems with it, she's not someone I would want to end up with anyway. But I'd rather not yell it from the mountaintops that I got a HT (or two). At least not yet. Down the road, hell, I'm sure I'm just not going to care who knows. At my age, things start falling off everyone.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery (and a woman)...

It may be less of a stigma than you guys think. I am pretty open minded, but I do believe that a lot of women would not bat an eyelash if you told them that you had a hair transplant (the cool ones at least)--and that's how I'd felt long before working in the industry.

I feel that being open with someone is better than trying to cower away from a decision you've made with absolute conviction. Not that it should be brought up on a first date or in everyday conversation, but it shouldn't be something that you fear.

I know not everyone will be comfortable admitting their cosmetic surgery to others, but from my perspective, it wouldn't make any difference at all.

Employed by Dr. Bernard Arocha.

Dr. Arocha is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Ambrose,

It's nice to get a woman's opinion on this, so thanks for offering your opinion on the matter.

I'll be honest, in the beginning, I was very secretive about my hair transplants. And although I still don't shout it out on the mountain tops, I'm a lot more open with telling people. Those I've told (including women) have been quite intrigued and impressed with out natural it looks.

Obviously, everyone has their own way of coping, but anyone who gets a hair transplant should expect someone to notice something different about them. So you'll either have to come up with a good lie, or tell the truth :-)

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. Ambrose, it's nice to finally put a face to the name. But watch out...I think you're going to attract a lot more attention :-)

Hey Julius--

That was actually something I tweeted to someone else, not someone saying they'd be "crossed" if they found out about someone having a hair transplant. Just to clarify (it was referring to crossing my fingers for someone). Hope that helps.

I did an immediate survey of some of my gal pals and they all said it wouldn't be a big deal to them, and if it made the guy happy and he looked and felt good, it was a non-issue. So, that's good news, right?

Dr. Arocha is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

No worries Julius,

It took me several months to learn how to navigate twitter icon_wink.gif

Still learning how to get around this forum properly...

Cheers right back at ya!

You guys be proud of your hair in whatever capacity you have it and shame on those who would say anything else.

Thx for the cool perspective, for sure! I think you're fundamnetally right -- that if we as men get a HT and consequently look *and* feel good/confident about it.....it shouldn't be a problem at all for any woman worth anyone's time.

-----------