Justifying The Price of a HT?

I know everyones income is differnt and everyone has different needs, but I was wondering if most people evaluate the costs up front or if people jump into surgery out of desperation.

If I had the money 10 years ago it probably would have ended badly because I probably would have ended up with minigrafts and would be chasing hairloss through many surgeries, scraping loose change together and saving for the next operation. (Or worse paying off loans) Thats no way to live IMO.

Now that Im older, I can "afford" this, but I'm asking myself what this money would buy in other things: gadgets, hobbies, vacations, cars, women, bigger house, you name it.

While I dont like the way I look, and I'm pretty sure other people dont like the way I look ( based upon how much more friendly they are when I wear a hat), I've built up a resistance to being ugly. I miss constant attention and eye contact from the opposite sex. I suppose thats part of what I'd be paying money for.

The other side of it is my career. I genuinely believe that hairloss makes me look disheveled and like I dont have my act together. I'm less secure about interviewing and advancing my career by networking with strangers. What I do is a young man's game and I have this feeling that hair would help my career advancement.

So there it is: I am considering spending a large amount of money so that I get more attention from the opposite sex and so that I am more confident and successful in my career.

I dont think these notions are in my head. When I wear a hat out in public, people are nicer to me, they make eye contact. Young women "see" me and make eye contact again. (I'm very insecure about socializing with younger women for fear of being perceived as a "cradle robber" or some such. I dont feel I can pull off dating younger women in my current state of repair and most older women my age are married, bitter, or divorcees.) Bald I am largely invisible. Surprisingly, young men acknowledge me and are more relaxed when they dont realize I am bald. So this is not just about attracting women, but having people be nicer to me in general.

Is this crazy? Does anyone here have any evidence that HT has helped them in this kind of way?

I know everyones income is differnt and everyone has different needs, but I was wondering if most people evaluate the costs up front or if people jump into surgery out of desperation.

If I had the money 10 years ago it probably would have ended badly because I probably would have ended up with minigrafts and would be chasing hairloss through many surgeries, scraping loose change together and saving for the next operation. (Or worse paying off loans) Thats no way to live IMO.

Now that Im older, I can "afford" this, but I'm asking myself what this money would buy in other things: gadgets, hobbies, vacations, cars, women, bigger house, you name it.

While I dont like the way I look, and I'm pretty sure other people dont like the way I look ( based upon how much more friendly they are when I wear a hat), I've built up a resistance to being ugly. I miss constant attention and eye contact from the opposite sex. I suppose thats part of what I'd be paying money for.

The other side of it is my career. I genuinely believe that hairloss makes me look disheveled and like I dont have my act together. I'm less secure about interviewing and advancing my career by networking with strangers. What I do is a young man's game and I have this feeling that hair would help my career advancement.

So there it is: I am considering spending a large amount of money so that I get more attention from the opposite sex and so that I am more confident and successful in my career.

I dont think these notions are in my head. When I wear a hat out in public, people are nicer to me, they make eye contact. Young women "see" me and make eye contact again. (I'm very insecure about socializing with younger women for fear of being perceived as a "cradle robber" or some such. I dont feel I can pull off dating younger women in my current state of repair and most older women my age are married, bitter, or divorcees.) Bald I am largely invisible. Surprisingly, young men acknowledge me and are more relaxed when they dont realize I am bald. So this is not just about attracting women, but having people be nicer to me in general.

Is this crazy? Does anyone here have any evidence that HT has helped them in this kind of way?

Your Majesty

I hear what you are saying. I shelled out about 20K total including flights, hotels, and surgeries.That is a lot of money..

Almost 3 years later it was the best money I EVER spent no doubt!! It has impacted my life in several ways.BUT at the end of the day, I am soo much happier which just creates a snowball effect as well. It's really a synergistic effect :

1- You look better with hair so , people treat you in a more positive way

2 - You feel better so you feel more confident so you convey a positive effect on people.

No doubt this has been the single most positive action I have taken to improve my life. What's more important than your state of mind. Of course this is my opinion & there are many happy bald people. I was not one of them

I'd pay double if I had to do it again.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Your Majesty

I hear what you are saying. I shelled out about 20K total including flights, hotels, and surgeries.That is a lot of money..

Almost 3 years later it was the best money I EVER spent no doubt!! It has impacted my life in several ways.BUT at the end of the day, I am soo much happier which just creates a snowball effect as well. It's really a synergistic effect :

1- You look better with hair so , people treat you in a more positive way

2 - You feel better so you feel more confident so you convey a positive effect on people.

No doubt this has been the single most positive action I have taken to improve my life. What's more important than your state of mind. Of course this is my opinion & there are many happy bald people. I was not one of them

I'd pay double if I had to do it again.

Mrjb,

Thanks for your wisdom.

I have learned how to live looking this way, but I have a feeling like I've got a complex (that Ive gotten use to having.)

I never look at my reflection in public. I always turn to face people so I dont "feel" their eyes on my scalp. I dont actively socialize with young women for fear of being rejected outright.

I guess if the results come out good, then its worth the money, but if they dont come out good it would be a nightmare.

Worst case scenario: Hair is growing in funny, constant need to add product and style it to make it look "normal", cant buzz down to a #4 because theres a large scar on the back, poor growth and multiple follow up procedures as hair arond it recedes. And adding insult to injury, out a significant amount of money.

I've seen the bad as well as the good on these forums. Mostly good, but a few results have left me wondering.

Emperor

We have all done that. Not looking in the mirror, thinking about people looking at our thin hair, spending hours using concealer... that USED to be me too!

As far as IF the results come out good?? Well, go to a top surgeon and you won't have to worry about that. The outcome will be when you look good and not if ..

Trust me, I never thought i would feel as good as I do about my hair today.. No way..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

TheEmperor,

You worded that just perfect. I had a HT in July so it isn't nearly completed yet. I have worn a lace hair replacement for years and it looks very natural, however it is HIGH maintenance to keep it that way. On days when I might be too busy to fuss over it I have caught people looking at it so I know they suspect something is going on. I have told many people and all but one swore they had no idea. Anyway the stress of wondering if people are looking at me and thinking "look at that bad rug" and the upkeep is more than I wanted to continue with so I went in for a HT.

I totally agree with you I believe people perceive and treat you differently with hair than without. It is a hell a lot of money for most of us and that was a consideration but I thought about not only the freedom of not fussing with a hair piece but the expense. In a few years this will pay for itself because I won't have to have the expensive services and purchase the hair pieces. I probably shouldn't have ever gotten a hair piece but I'm glad I did for a couple of reasons. First if I'd have had a HT 15 years ago the technology hadn't progressed to where it is now and also I'd probably still have been losing hair but now it has stabilized.

The waiting game is killing me. I try not to think about it or look in the mirror too much. I had 2520 grafts in the front 1/3. The only thing I hope for is a nice density so my scalp can't be seen when light hits it. I will be going in for the second procedure as soon as it is permissible.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Yes,

The waiting game is difficult, indeed.. But we all go through it.

Hang in there!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

TheEmperor,

Clearly you are wrestling with all of the same things many of us wrestled with before we decided to (or decided not to in some cases) undergo hair transplantation surgery.

Ultimately this is a decision that is yours and yours alone.

I strongly believe that in the hands of the right hair restoration physician, (assuming you are a good hair transplant candidate) that you can recieve a natural looking and cosmetically pleasing look.

For me, it significantly boosted my confidence and I finally feel like I can go out without a hat and be myself.

I no longer feel like the phantom of the opera (charming with the mask - equivolent - the hat, and a beast without the mask - equivolent - the hat comes off).

But certainly hair loss impacts people differently. Some have chosen to shave their head and grow a goatee - and the look works for them. Others like myself were not satisfied with any of these options and have chosen hair transplantation.

Whatever you decide, don't do it with haste, but instead, evaluating the long term benefits, limitations, risks, and costs associated with it.

Best wishes,

Bill

I like the way you presented your thoughts in this thread. I think it covers what most guys go through when considering this procedure. I think had you gone through with a procedure ten years ago you most definitely would have had a higher chance of having a result that you would have regretted but not because the procedure involved mini-micro grafting. Mini/micros are not necessarily a bad thing because I've seen many results from mini/micros that are quite good and would still pass inspection to this day. But the chances would have been much higher that you would not have found a good doc to perform your procedure because a good doc will make all the difference for your result.

I unfortunately was not in the same position 5.5 years ago that you are in now because I HAD to do something because as you might already know I had micro grafts that were NOT performed by a competent doc and I was not on meds after the fact. Had I been a patient of a good doc in the early nineties and had I been on meds "Jotronic" may never have been born (please hold your applauseicon_smile.gif ).

Looking back now, I can honestly say that my procedures with Dr. Wong were the best thing that I could ever have done for myself, professionally an personally. You said something that is very important in your initial post about spending the money on gadgets or things. The truth is, if you have this done with a good doc that will give you a natural result then it is forever while gadgets and things are not. I could have spent my money on a down payment for a house or a nicer car or whatever but they all fade over time or must make way for a newer and better model. With a hair transplant that is natural and has been properly planned you will always have the newest model that will continue to give a great return on your investment over the years.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

One of the ways I justified it to myself is that the average American spends about $30,000 on a new car every 5 years. I figured if I keep my car for 10 years and spend about $27,000 on 7550 grafts (as I have done), then I've spent no more than the average American and made a lifelong investment icon_smile.gif.

Bill

In my case, my hairline is a bit stuffed, i think the rest of my hair is alright.

I will go on medication to hopefully slow down the hairloss process.

I fear getting a small HT, then getting some permanent shock loss from the HT, and then chasing my hairline all the way to the back of my head until im either completely bald or broke.

Alot of people seem to get a second HT within 1 year after the first, is that from shock loss? or its usually planned that way in advance?

Bill, did you plan to get 3 hts from the beginning or after the first u were disappointed with the results?

Sydney,

It's nigh impossible to get 7000+ grafts in one session - you need to go in for several. They just can't get that many hairs out at once and still manage to staple your head shut afterwards icon_smile.gif There are exceptions, but they're real rare.

Emperor - get a HT man. It works, and it's worth it. Just choose a good doctor, one recommended by this site, and you will not regret it.

I know the feeling. When you decide to buy a thing and then wonder if it is worth the money you are paying. Do you even really need it? Can you get a better deal? Is the salesman a good pokerplayer?

Then I give up. I wait for another day, when all the stars are lined up and I will know I have to take it.

Originally posted by YoungGuy:

Sydney,

It's nigh impossible to get 7000+ grafts in one session - you need to go in for several. They just can't get that many hairs out at once and still manage to staple your head shut afterwards icon_smile.gif There are exceptions, but they're real rare.

Emperor - get a HT man. It works, and it's worth it. Just choose a good doctor, one recommended by this site, and you will not regret it.

If he has good laxity, good density, I have heard 4500 - 5000 is possible for most by strip, the remaining 2000 by fue from around the strip or some even the beard, under the chin.

Let's face it, a $10,000 item is a big purchase for most people. I think folks have a hard time justifying it. But the bottom line is that hair restoration is a quality of life thing. There are a lot of patients that have a fuller life after surgery. They feel better in social situations, more carefree, and generally happier to see a framed face in the mirror. By no means will HT remedy depression or anything like that (!), but it can and often does enhance everyday living.

I like the way Bill justified his recent HT expenses. You will not get in the hole from surgery if you find a way to increase you income or decrease you spending accordingly. I know a patient that was trying to stop smoking, and also wanted to do a HT surgery. He felt guilty spending the money for the procedure, but rationalized it by setting aside money he would have spent on cigarettes. For everyday that passed smoke-free he added another $5-$10 to his HT fund. What a great motivation to stop smoking too!

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by TheHairLossCure:

Let's face it, a $10,000 item is a big purchase for most people. I think folks have a hard time justifying it. But the bottom line is that hair restoration is a quality of life thing. There are a lot of patients that have a fuller life after surgery. They feel better in social situations, more carefree, and generally happier to see a framed face in the mirror. By no means will HT remedy depression or anything like that (!), but it can and often does enhance everyday living.

I like the way Bill justified his recent HT expenses. You will not get in the hole from surgery if you find a way to increase you income or decrease you spending accordingly. I know a patient that was trying to stop smoking, and also wanted to do a HT surgery. He felt guilty spending the money for the procedure, but rationalized it by setting aside money he would have spent on cigarettes. For everyday that passed smoke-free he added another $5-$10 to his HT fund. What a great motivation to stop smoking too!

I feel guilty spending money on other things too! The only way I've been able to rationalize HT is that it will set back my retirement an amount equal to how long it takes me to save for the procedure.

So the question then becomes, is delaying retirement worth it if I feel better about myself for the next 20 years? Early retirement is a big goal of mine.

What good is money if you are not happy. I can honestly say my hairloss was preventing me from really being happy. It sounds superfisical but that's reality.

What's 18K over the course of 10 years? Nothing.. If you can afford it, then you have a choice. I'd rather have my hair than a new car.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

TheEmperor,

If early retirement is a big goal for you, I would not give that up for a HT. But, if you think HT surgery will raise the quality of your life (and you are at least an adequate candidate), I think you can do both.

The point I made about the patient who gave up smoking was more about using your hair restoration as a motivator to do other healthy or positive things. If you can alter your health or "consumer" habits in a way that saves money it is sort of a win/win. Things like walking/biking instead of driving, not smoking, raw fruits and vegetables for breakfast or lunch versus drive-thru windows etc. You can save money, sometimes a lot of it (!), on a daily basis by revising unhealthy habits.

Obviously, not everybody is going to go for that idea, but I thought it was interesting enough to bring up in this thread.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

People talk all day long about how important looks have become in this society. And when it comes to most issues in the first 2/3 of your life, I think looks are AT LEAST as important as people think they are if not more.

I agree that the issue is not just with young women. It's relevant to ALL people of both genders. I think the most important improvement is to go from having more hair loss than average for your age, and then get HT'd down to a more average level of loss appearance.

IMHO if you're under age 50, and you can afford to live in a $100,000 house, and you can afford to drive cars/trucks that you paid at least $10-15K for, then HTs are totally justifiable costs.

That's not aiming very high on the income scale; I'm basically just saying you can justify HTs if you can do any unnessecary multi-thousand-dollar spending at all.