Propecia Time

Ty

Hey all,

I read recently on this forum that Propecia will block DHT for 36 hours... If this is the case, why do doctors say take it once every 24? IS this just to make sure we remember it?(As if we could forget our hairloss)... Anyway, if the 36 hour thing is true, I may switch from taking Propecia once a day to once every 2 days (I've had some bad sexual side-effects).

Peace out, Ty

Hey all,

I read recently on this forum that Propecia will block DHT for 36 hours... If this is the case, why do doctors say take it once every 24? IS this just to make sure we remember it?(As if we could forget our hairloss)... Anyway, if the 36 hour thing is true, I may switch from taking Propecia once a day to once every 2 days (I've had some bad sexual side-effects).

Peace out, Ty

I was advised by Dr. Wong after my 2nd HT (and have confirmed this) that finasteride inhibits DHT for a period of 72 hours thus I take it ever other day. I can definitely say I've had a little regrowth in front of my old hairline...........tough to tell on the rest as my recent HT was in the crown.

Hope this helps,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I've read that the original subjects that tested Propecia used 1mg once per day. So this is what the positive results were based on, which is why many doctors suggest taking it once every 24 hours regardless of how long it's supposed to inhibit DHT. They want you to mimic the actual studies.

I would be careful about deviating from the recommended finasteride dosage used in the clinical studies. From this chart:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/hairlosspage/dutas_analysis.jpg

You can see that the amount of DHT that is inhibited by Avodart is depended upon the dosage, I have tried to find a similar chart for Propeica but cant, although Dr Rasman gives his recommendation that indicates that the half-life or Propecia is only 5-6 hours so you may be affected on the days you do not take Propecia:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/07/14/appropriate-propecia-dosage/

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

i too had sexual side effects from propecia. I had changed my regime (as advised by my doctor) to take it 3-4x a week. i've been doing this for about a year and see no loss of progress and am still happy with the results.

as far as the original studies, we all know that the longer a drug is on the market, the more we learn about it. Good and bad...