Smoking just a little after a HT, is it really a big deal?

Well first off I got my HT done by Shapiro yesterday, 1800 graphs!! Hairline looks kick ass, I'll get pics up soon.... Anyways, my reason for the post is about smoking. I don't really smoke cig's maybe one here and there, however I do like to smoke a small capone filtered cigar about once a day (i do inhale a little). My question is if I must stop I will, but I didn't stop before surgery because I wasn't told to because it came up so quick, so it would mainly be for after. Will a smoke a day or even every other day make THAT much of a difference in my graphs healing properly if I am doing everything else perfect? It just seems to me like more of a extensive precaution than anything. Again keep in mind I don't smoke a pack of cigs a day. I'm talking maybe one filterd cigar a day or every other day and maybe a cig or two a week tops. Give me your feedback here brothers. I would really like to hear from experiance.

Well first off I got my HT done by Shapiro yesterday, 1800 graphs!! Hairline looks kick ass, I'll get pics up soon.... Anyways, my reason for the post is about smoking. I don't really smoke cig's maybe one here and there, however I do like to smoke a small capone filtered cigar about once a day (i do inhale a little). My question is if I must stop I will, but I didn't stop before surgery because I wasn't told to because it came up so quick, so it would mainly be for after. Will a smoke a day or even every other day make THAT much of a difference in my graphs healing properly if I am doing everything else perfect? It just seems to me like more of a extensive precaution than anything. Again keep in mind I don't smoke a pack of cigs a day. I'm talking maybe one filterd cigar a day or every other day and maybe a cig or two a week tops. Give me your feedback here brothers. I would really like to hear from experiance.

Influencer,

congratulations on your surgery with Dr. Shapiro. Was it Dr. Ron or Dr. Paul that performed it?

I agree with beachair. It is better to give your hair transplant time to heal before smoking however, from what I have read from physicians, it is more important not to restrain from smoking before surgery than after. But I would check with your physician to see what he says.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey Bill, it was with Ron..He is a great guy and so is Matt Z. And the secretary is even Hot, lol. Very comfortable and it went well. I would try to post pics but I have such a damn hard time doing it. I have some pretty good before and afters if you want I can send them to you if you can shrink them and put them up, otherwise no big deal. With the smoking, unfortionately, I did smoke about 1 a day up until surgery so I hope that doesn't hinder anything. I will keep it very minimal to none for the next month or so. Thanks bro's, hit me up if you have any questions...Joe

Influencer,

I'm glad to hear everything went well with your surgery.

The easiest way to post photos is to create a hair loss blog and then post a link to it in your signature. Detailed instructions can be found by clicking here.

Feel free to send me a private message if you are still having trouble.

Thanks,

Bill

I am glad I saw this post, I actually smoked during and after my HT I am hoping that I have not done any damage at this point. Is there anyone out there that did smoke after their HT and did they have any stunted growth?

I'm sure there are many people that smoked before and afterwards and everything is fine. It's just a precaution that may have some play, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most people just beleive why even take the risk when you spent so much money, you want to get 100% growth and not take any chance. That's kind of my take on it. But I too am interested in hearing from people who have smoked before and after surgery and everything grew in just dandy.

Gentlemen:

I have done several threads on the effect of smoking on wound healing and agree with the sentiment of those of you who feel that if you are spending a bunch of money and smoking might compromise your result, don't smoke for 10 days BEFORE and after your procedure.

Several studies, and malpractice insurance carriers, have documented PREOP smoking's effect on wound repair.

In practice, it is not easy to infect the scalp of a healthy person with clean, not even sterile, surgical technique. For that matter it isn't easy to infect the face either as long as clean technique is followed.

But, wound infection is just one end of a spectrum of poor healing. The other end is decreased blood supply and probably decreased oxygen supply at the wound edges. That wound can be either the strip itself, or each receiving slit. I say probably as I don't know if its ever been studied in hair cases.

I can tell you as a doctor that I warn patients about all of this preop, have them sign a smoking acknowledgement form, and when I see them standing outside the office after their procedure smoking, I want to pull MY hair out.

I have not smoked and I understand its powerful addictive qualities as both of my parents smoked until their premature deaths; but if at all possible, patients really should not smoke before and after surgical procedures.

Its hard enough to go through the procedure and spend the money, give yourself every option possible for the best results!

Dr. Lindsey www.lindseymedical.com Reston, VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians