Stress and a transplant

My hairloss has been rather rapid, since being diagnosed with a stress disorder earlier this year.

I have noticed significant shedding, my hair has less density and my hair line has receeded maybe up to a quarter or half an inch.

Do you think, Propecia, would still give me some benefits?

Do you think rogaine would be a better option?

Or is there another product i should consider?

I think I might get a HT ASAP.

I know its not an exact science, but does anyone have an opinion as to whether a transplant may still be successful bearing in mind my circumstances?

I know the HT wont stop my hairloss, but do you still think some hairs will grow?

Is it possible, that if i get a ht, the grafts will lie dormant for a while, until im less stressed and then sprout?

Or is it more likely that they will all just die off - YOUR EDUCATED GUESSES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

ThankS.

My hairloss has been rather rapid, since being diagnosed with a stress disorder earlier this year.

I have noticed significant shedding, my hair has less density and my hair line has receeded maybe up to a quarter or half an inch.

I know its not an exact science, but does anyone have an opinion as to whether a transplant may still be successful bearing in mind my circumstances?

I know the HT wont stop my hairloss, but do you still think some hairs will grow?

Is it possible, that if i get a ht, the grafts will lie dormant for a while, until im less stressed and then sprout?

Or is it more likely that they will all just die off - YOUR EDUCATED GUESSES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

ThankS.

Guy

Gernerally, stress does not cause hairloss. There are plenty of stressed out people with full heads of hair. I would talk to your doc about meds mainly propecia.. Do some ground work before jumping into a HT

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

has anyone heard of a situation of someone having a HT and getting zero yield?

No hairs at all?

Can the transplanted grafts lay dorment for years? like little seeds and then one day just spring to life?

Has anyone experienced a patch of hair like that?

What can you do to increase the yield of your HT?

guyfromsydney,

Yes, I have heard of people getting a hair transplant with virtually no yield. This can happen in the hands of a sub-par hair restoration physician and sadly enough - I have seen a few cases like this with FUE - even in the hands of a quality hair restoration physician.

Research your options carefully!

Stress does not cause genetic hair loss - but traumatic or extreme stress can cause diffuse alopecia - a nongenetic type of hair loss which can be caused by other things as well.

Bill

Originally posted by guyfromsydney:

<span class="ev_code_RED">Who diagnosed you.......was it a dermotologist? If not, you may want to see one to find out if the hairloss could be related somewhat or if it could be something else.</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">Propecia can ALWAYS provide benefit, you just have to try and see. It has been shown to be more effective in the crown than in the hairline. I have taken for about 1 1/2 yrs now though and have noticed mild growth in the hairline, pretty thin really, more softens the existing hairline than adds to it.</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">I didnt' like Rogaine (Minoxidil) because of the messy regimen but it can help you, yes.</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">Are you sure you're ready for a HT? How old are you and do you have an established loss pattern, or are you just starting to experience loss. If it may be something other than MPB I'd do mega research before considering</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">No way to tell for sure. Again, check with a derm if you haven't already</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">No way to tell...........a lot of money to spend on a "maybe", be sure you don't have other issues causing loss before jumping in the HT chair</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">No way to tell...........this is a better question for a derm or HT doc who can consult with you personally</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED"> I wish I felt comfortable advising you one way or the other............if you just had MPB and that was it, it would be a different story. YOu may have something else in the mix causing loss which could greatly affect any attempt to restore your hair. Again, if you haven't, check with a derm to be sure. You're looking for fairly specific advice and while there are many knowledgable individuals here who know tons about loss, IMO your situation is different and you should consult with a professional.</span>

ThankS.

<span class="ev_code_RED"> Best of luck to you</span>

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Moderators

Are you taking any medication for the stress disorder? If you are then perhaps that's what is causing the hair loss.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.