DOCTORS--- Topical Propecia?

Ceasar08

I always appreciate it when the doctors on here are kind enough to offer their opinions.

I have posted in the past about my terrible experience with getting side effects from Propecia. Since having to quit the drug years ago, I've searched for alternatives.

There are a couple of doctors on the internet right now who are selling topical formulations with finasteride in them, one doctor is Richard Lee, the other is someone named Dr. Klein.

I e-mailed one of these doctors and asked whether he felt I would get side effects systemically from using Finasteride topically. The doctor said that the drug would be absorbed and could theoretically give me side effects, but that my chances were better with a topical, where the effect would be more localized.

My question: Do any of the doctors on this board think this might be worth a shot? I'm hoping it might give me some small benefit of the drug without sides, or very minimal sides.

I would really appreciate any input on this before I order. The formulations are not cheap. Thanks in advance everyone.

Ceasar08-

Actually propecia/finasteride is NOT the DHT blocker alluded to in most discussions- as per Dr Lindsey, propecia/finasteride would not have an effect topically. A drug currently available for use in Europe which is a topical agent which blocks DHT is Fluridil .

It has shown promise, but for me the jury is still out.

Another link of well respected journal that published the findings:

Dermatologic Surgery.

Finally, it appears on our forum here.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

• 1 year later...

Check this out:

Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2009 Jan-Feb;75(1):47-51.

Comparing the therapeutic effects of finasteride gel and tablet in treatment of the androgenetic alopecia.

Hajheydari Z, Akbari J, Saeedi M, Shokoohi L.

Department of Dermatology, Boo Ali Sina (Avicenna) Hospital, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran. zhajheydari@yahoo.com

BACKGROUND: Finasteride, a type II-selective 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, as a causative agent of decreasing dihydroxy testosterone (DHT) level, is effective in the treatment of male androgenic alopecia. AIM: We compared the local and oral finasteride in the treatment of androgenic alopecia. METHOD: This is a double blind, randomized clinical trial study of 45 male patients, who were referred with alopecia to the private clinics and departments in Boo-Ali Sina Hospital, in Sari. Patients with male androgenic alopecia were selected according to the history and physical examinations. The patients were randomly divided into two: topical finasteride (A) and oral finasteride (B) groups. Topical finasteride group (A) received a topical gel of 1% finasteride and placebo tablets, while the oral finasteride group (B) received finasteride tablets (1 mg) and gel base (without drug) as placebo for 6 months. The patients were followed by clinical observation and recording of side effects prior to the treatment and at the end of first week, and then by a monthly follow-up. The size of bald area, total hair count, and terminal hair were studied. Data were analyzed by descriptive and Chi-square statistical test. RESULTS: The mean duration of hair loss was 18.8+/-23.10 months. Each month the terminal hair, size of bald area and hair count between the two groups were compared. There were no significant differences between the two groups as a viewpoint of hair thickness, hair counts and the size of bald area. Serial measurements indicated a significant increase in hair counts and terminal hair counts between the two groups. CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study showed that the therapeutic effects of both finasteride gel and finasteride tablet were relatively similar to each other.

PMID: 19172031 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Publication Types, MeSH Terms, SubstancesPublication Types:

Comparative Study

Randomized Controlled Trial

Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH Terms:

Administration, Topical

Adult

Alopecia/drug therapy*

Alopecia/pathology*

Chemistry, Pharmaceutical

Double-Blind Method

Finasteride/administration & dosage*

Gels

Humans

Male

Tablets

Treatment Outcome

Young Adult

Substances:

Gels

Tablets

Finasteride

LinkOut - more resourcesFull Text Sources:

Medknow Publications Pvt Ltd

EBSCO

ProQuest Information and Learning

Swets Information Services

Medical:

Genetics Home Reference - androgenetic alopecia - Genetics Home Reference

Hair Loss - MedlinePlus Health Information

Hair Problems - MedlinePlus Health Information

Molecular Biology Databases:

FINASTERIDE - HSDB

• 3 years later...

Kevers,

A company in Italy is actually working on a topical anti-androgen that has shown some promise and efficacy in androgenic alopecia. Unfortunately (for hair loss sufferers), the company is going through FDA trials to have the drug approved for use as an acne medication before it completes research and trials for its use as a hair loss drug. This means it will likely be another 3-5 years before a commercial anti-androgen could be available.

Regardless, it does offer the promise of increased efficacy and lowers the chances of systemic side effects, so topical anti-androgens will likely be a useful tool when they are ready.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Kevers,

A company in Italy is actually working on a topical anti-androgen that has shown some promise and efficacy in androgenic alopecia. Unfortunately (for hair loss sufferers), the company is going through FDA trials to have the drug approved for use as an acne medication before it completes research and trials for its use as a hair loss drug. This means it will likely be another 3-5 years before a commercial anti-androgen could be available.

Regardless, it does offer the promise of increased efficacy and lowers the chances of systemic side effects, so topical anti-androgens will likely be a useful tool when they are ready.

I'm really hoping that some of these drugs come out soon, before I lose the rest of my native hair!! I would like to hold onto as many as I humanly can.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily