hairline question

first post. thinking about a ht w shapiro. i'm 40 years old and i'm closer to a 2 than a 3 on the norwood scale. no thinning of the crown, just a progressively receding hairline since my early to mid 20s. i've been on rogaine for the last 15 yrs.

What i'm considering is around 1500 grafts to actually lower my existing hairline.

Can i really expect to have a good non-detectable result by lowering my hairline? will it be of the same density?

also won't it be obvious for at least a month that i had some work done up there since it will be front and center? should i just be thankful for the hair i got and quit being the vain guy?

any comments appreciated.

first post. thinking about a ht w shapiro. i'm 40 years old and i'm closer to a 2 than a 3 on the norwood scale. no thinning of the crown, just a progressively receding hairline since my early to mid 20s. i've been on rogaine for the last 15 yrs.

What i'm considering is around 1500 grafts to actually lower my existing hairline.

Can i really expect to have a good non-detectable result by lowering my hairline? will it be of the same density?

also won't it be obvious for at least a month that i had some work done up there since it will be front and center? should i just be thankful for the hair i got and quit being the vain guy?

any comments appreciated.

Hello bretfavrah and welcome,

Firstly, have you had any consultations with any doctors? Has your hairloss stabilized or are you still losing hair?

As long as you select a quality top doctor, you will be able to get results I think you'd be happy with. Depending on your current density, you may or may not be able to get the exact density of the rest of your head, but what they say is, you don't even start noticing that you are losing your hair until you lose about 50% of your original density. Since the average density of hair is typically 90 FUs per sq cm, if you could achieve 45 FUs per sq cm, you'd have a pretty decent result. However, as long as you have the donor hair and your hairloss has stabilized, you'd probably be able to get a greater density than even that with a top coalition doctor.

Yes, it will be obvious for at least 7-10 days that you got something done up there, however, there are products you can use that can help mask it after that point.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Jeez, I wish I had your problem!!!!!

Anyway, Shapiro will take care of you.

1500 grafts will be noticeable for 7-10, like Bill said, and you can disguise by combing your hair forward, wearing a hat, taking off from work, etc...

You could also just act like nothing is different, and people will probably not notice icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, obviously this bothers you, so go check it out and have it done. At your age, there are minimal risks, and your session will be considered a small one.

There is one thing for certain--- Shapiro will give you a natural, undetectable hairline, ESPECIALLY because you probably have a nice receding hairline to work around.

Anyway, good luck, spend some time looking around, and ask as many questions as you need to!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 2 weeks later...

My hairloss has greatly slowed the last 10 years or so.

again i'm very concerned since i'm considering hairline work, that unless i conceal it with a combover that the work will be obvious:

first, until the new graft hairs all fall out

and

then, until all the hairs have fully grown in, that swath of new hair abutting my original hairline will not blend in naturally and look bad for 8 months. Or even worse it will be obvious for 8 months that i've had some work done.

In the words of eric clapton: someone ease my worried mind.

Hey Bret-

I'll give you my $.02 as fellow 40-year old icon_wink.gif.....

You're really in a pretty good position compared to most here. I was a NW 4+ two years ago before my first HT. As Bill mentioned, you should be able to achieve the density you're looking for that will naturally blend with the rest of your hair. Shapiro is top-notch for any HT, especially hairlines so you'll be in good hands if you decide to do it.

As for recovery and evidence of your HT, it's a little difficult to determine the outcome. If I were you.........since the work is pretty much hairline only, I'd start adopting a new hairstyle 3-4 months before the HT allowing it to grow out to 3" or so......maybe start letting it fall forward, comb to the side, part in the middle......the goal being to start natural coverage of your widows peaks and remaining hairline. Sounds like you have pretty good density everywhere with no diffused thinning so you should be able to pull this off. Then, after the HT, take a couple weeks off.....by then you will have no scabbing left and the grafts will likely start to fall out. Keep your hair longer while the grafts shed (before they start growing again in a few months). Then, as your HT hair starts growing after a few months, clip the hair shorter for a couple of months.....maybe 1/2" or so until the HT hair really starts to take off............does this make sense? I hope so.

Anyway, since your loss has been gradual, as long as Shapiro agrees with your plan, I'd say go for it if it's something you think you'd like. You may want to consider starting to take Propecia (Finasteride) to stave off any further loss.........something to think about anyway.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by bretfavrah:

What i'm considering is around 1500 grafts

Just make sure this is enough to get you the results that you want. If not, then you'll be unsatisfied and want to go for HT #2. Try to get it done in one shot.

Originally posted by hairbank:

Hey Bret-

I'll give you my $.02 as fellow 40-year old icon_wink.gif.....

You're really in a pretty good position compared to most here. I was a NW 4+ two years ago before my first HT. As Bill mentioned, you should be able to achieve the density you're looking for that will naturally blend with the rest of your hair. Shapiro is top-notch for any HT, especially hairlines so you'll be in good hands if you decide to do it.

As for recovery and evidence of your HT, it's a little difficult to determine the outcome. If I were you.........since the work is pretty much hairline only, I'd start adopting a new hairstyle 3-4 months before the HT allowing it to grow out to 3" or so......maybe start letting it fall forward, comb to the side, part in the middle......the goal being to start natural coverage of your widows peaks and remaining hairline. Sounds like you have pretty good density everywhere with no diffused thinning so you should be able to pull this off. Then, after the HT, take a couple weeks off.....by then you will have no scabbing left and the grafts will likely start to fall out. Keep your hair longer while the grafts shed (before they start growing again in a few months). Then, as your HT hair starts growing after a few months, clip the hair shorter for a couple of months.....maybe 1/2" or so until the HT hair really starts to take off............does this make sense? I hope so.

Anyway, since your loss has been gradual, as long as Shapiro agrees with your plan, I'd say go for it if it's something you think you'd like. You may want to consider starting to take Propecia (Finasteride) to stave off any further loss.........something to think about anyway.

Hairbank, your advice here is worth more than just $.02. icon_wink.gif You should be a paid consultant! Great advice and this is what this forum is all about.

NoBuzz