I use anabolic steroids, how does this effect getting a transplant?

Okay, I admit that I use anabolic steroids. Before anyone flames me on how bad this is for me, I will let you know that I have done tons of research and belong to many steroid forums that help me do it safely and correctly. I will most likely NOT stop doing steroids, but have noticed that may hair has been falling off from the testosterone to DHT conversion. I have heard of many professional body builders that get hair transplants, but wanted to ask the pros and vets here if it would effect anything else. I'm currently 23, and still have a fairly good head of hair, but I would expect my balding to become more noticable in the next 3-5 years. I know I have plenty of time, but wanted to do as much research as possible until the time comes.

Okay, I admit that I use anabolic steroids. Before anyone flames me on how bad this is for me, I will let you know that I have done tons of research and belong to many steroid forums that help me do it safely and correctly. I will most likely NOT stop doing steroids, but have noticed that may hair has been falling off from the testosterone to DHT conversion. I have heard of many professional body builders that get hair transplants, but wanted to ask the pros and vets here if it would effect anything else. I'm currently 23, and still have a fairly good head of hair, but I would expect my balding to become more noticable in the next 3-5 years. I know I have plenty of time, but wanted to do as much research as possible until the time comes.

Having a hair transplant will have no

negative effect if you use steroids.

I had a couple of transplants and

have used steroids myself.

If you still have a lot of hair,

DO NOT get a hair transplant.

Start with Propecia, Minoxidil,

and wash your hair with Nizoral

shampoo. This trio should help

you hold on to your hair while

allowing you to use your gear.

Maybe add topical spironolactone.

I'm sure your aware that certain roids

will expedite your hairloss.

Be safe,

John

Steroids will not interfere with a transplant. However, transplants do not create any new hair, they just move a little from the back to the front. It's just not nearly as good as having a decent head of your own natural hair. Guys like you (with a good amount of hair left) should consider transplants as a last resort, and do whatever you can to halt your hair loss with Propecia and Minoxidil.

The bottom line is that it is far better to not lose hair in the first place. Hair transplants are an imperfect solution. If you do decide to get a hair transplant, be careful. Only a few doctors are doing excellent work, with the vast majority of HT being mediocre to poor. Hence the need for websites like this one.

I don't know what forums you read, but you might want to address hairloss questions to the steroid forum at www.testosterone.net I believe there may be some interactivity issues with Propecia and certain steroids. I would trust opinions on that site, regarding steroid issues.

For guys not into steroids but into weight training, it's a good website for training and nutrition information, including drug-free issues and concerns.

Steroids,

It seems steroid use is a vote towards phsysic, understandibly widespread in a society such as ours, But it seems you may need to make a choice here.

Perhaps a Dr. could sound off on this one, Will Finastiride still be effective with steroid use? It seems a parallel would be taking a sleeping pill to counteract 2 thermos fulls of coffee ?? or a "back and forth" scenario in your system. I bring up finastiride because HT is not really a long term solution at a young age but merely a patch.

After 2 transplants I agree HT is not something anyone would hope for..especially not where you can correct the problem ?? and Steroids "IS" definately going to hurt your natural hair from what I have read, some guys may genetically get lucky, but it certainly cant help..

Any Dr's care to comment ??

Thanks for your replies, and NW, I have also heard that Propecia stops the conversion of DHT and that would not work well when I am on a cycle because it will counteract the steroid. Most others recommend topical solutions, but I just wanted to ask on this forum to see your comments compared to just body builders.

Dizzle,

You brought up a very great question

re: steroids and hair loss solutions,

So Finastiride does interupt the steroid activity ??

I am very much a fan of great HT work, but really down the road you will run out of hair if your hairloss is accelerating. I am 42, and for me the loss has stopped, (but with Propecia), in fact I am able to take (effectively) .5 mg a day as oppossed to 1 mg daily.

If you hear of method to help other guys in your situation, let us know. Perhaps with the help of a physician you can find a nice balance. Maybe we need to develop a topical Propecia ? if there isnt one already. BTW for "me", topical Minox was a complete waste of time, gave it 2 years...and...absolutely nothing.

Good Luck !!!

NW

• 2 weeks later...

Is this maybe a "hidden" benefit of finasteride?

If you read the documentation on finasteride that comes with Propecia or Proscar, you will find that in Merck's own clinical studies that free testosterone levels in people on finasteride increased 15% because a lower percentage of testosterone is being converted to bad DHT.

So, with that info, is in fact finasteride a very mild steroid judging ONLY by its effects and not its chemical composition?

Testosterone levels are associated with happiness and muscular levels. If finasteride is in fact increasing testosterone levels in your blood mildly, well, I think it is another benefit to be a bit stronger and more optimistic.

This may be a stretch on my part, but still.