ScalpMed and "Sherida Devine"

olivix

I recently saw the infomercial for ScalpMed and decided to "google" it to see if anyone had actually used it. That led me to this site, where I saw that someone claiming to be "Sherida Devine", the "crying woman" from the infomercial, had posted a couple of messages. So I looked her up and found out that "she" has a website showing pictures of her "results" and has posted on blogs and other places, "praising Jesus" for her miracularous hair regrowth. So I decided to look her up.

In the infomercial she says that she was "Ms. Black Nevada". I can't find any mention of her ever having this title (other than "her" own website). In fact, I can only find two other instances where the title has been mentioned - I suspect they meant to say "Miss Black Nevada", or at least imply it.

However, I did find several websites that mention a Sherida Devine who lives in Nevada who is involved in the theater, including one which lists her occupation as "actress". I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to these websites (they aren't promotional), but if you look up "sherida devine" nevada (with the name in quotes) on Google, you'll see them. There are definite shades of "Miss Cleo" here. (She was [and still is] a professional actress.) The website that mentioned an actress named Sherida Devine was posted to in April 2006, around the same time "Sherida Devine" was claiming to be a "single mother of five with no child support" on her "blog".

I decided to post this here because a lot of people seemed to be interested in the product. I have no clue if it works or not, and the fact that this woman may be an actress doesn't necessarily mean she was lying (many former beauty pageant contestants become actors). I just thought this was something people considering purchasing the product might want to be aware of. There are certainly many other reasons to be skeptical.

I apologize if this has been discussed before - I searched the forum and couldn't find anything about it.

EDIT: I forgot to add something. In the commercial, the "crying woman" didn't mention why she had lost her hair. Although I don't know if the person posting on the internet claiming to be "Sherida Devine" was actually her, that person posted on another website that it was due to wearing her hair in tight braids for many years (eg traction alopecia).

Thanks for reminding everyone that this stuff is useless and that the people who sell it are liars. However, the people that frequent this forum are smart enough to know that. They know that finasteride and minoxidil are the only two proven FDA-approved agents that help with hair loss. But hey, we all appreciate the reminder! icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi

Scalpmed is crap.

about 6 months ago miss "Devine" posted and basically got her butt slammed as she had no credability to back her claims...Yuo may be able to find the posts under that name or mine

It's all BS.. Cmon guys... A name like miss Devine...

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by kamin:

However, the people that frequent this forum are smart enough to know that. They know that finasteride and minoxidil are the only two proven FDA-approved agents that help with hair loss. But hey, we all appreciate the reminder! icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually, my post was primarily for people who don't frequent this forum. This board was one of the first links that came up when I looked up the product name on Google, so I imagine many people who are researching it will find this forum as well and will look through the messages for threads about it. In posting here, I thought those people might find my thread and be able to make a more informed decision about the product.

I'm sorry to have annoyed you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes

and we will deliver the facts as well icon_smile.gif

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 months later...
Guest tiffany_07

I have tried Scalpmed for more than 2 months and it didn't do a thing for me. It costs nearly $200 for a 2-month supply and it did nothing.

Hi tiffany_07,

You may want to note that this thread was last active 1/29/07 as evidenced by the "posted" date in the upper left corner of each post. You may know this, but since it was your 2nd post I'm guessing you didn't icon_smile.gif.

At any rate..........yes, I agree, Scalpmed is pure snake oil. I actually saw a commercial for it the other night and thought "man, I feel for the poor souls who order this stuff". If it sounds to good to be true, it likely is.

At any rate......welcome to the forum!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 4 months later...

Ok, I have been on a quest of sorts. I have not bothered much with my hair lately, but for various resons I have decided to investigate the matter further, and the catalist was the Scalpmed infomercial. Resurching its ligitemacy led me to this site. Any way, to my imeadieate point, as I am tired from all my resurch:

Sherida Devine: Who is she? The problem of coroberating her claims has proven more bizzare then even Olivix's statment in January suggests. For some reason, the "Miss Black Nevada" pagentry association has never bothered to put together a website listing all their past winners! Given how popular pagentrys in general are, and racialy empowering pagents in particular, I find this a great annomoly.

Instead, when I typed "Miss Black Nevada", I went to a site showing ONLY the 2006 holder, Melissa Arian???© Beevers. So I typed 2005 and got J????neen Rene???© Phelps, however, since the infomercial appeared that year, and she claimed to have struggled with her hair for years, and since it is obvious that she had had no hair problems at the time of her aleged pagent, the pagent in question must have occured at least ten years ago, and I think she claimed she had struggled for 15 years, though she does not look that old, never the less, I can find no names at the top 50 listings regareding "Miss Black Nevada" before 2004! The girl who won that year is the very famous Miss Elizabeth Muto, a little TOO famous for our purpouses. I Can Not find a singel "Miss Black Nevada" winner before her, which means either that pagent began that year or, Elizabeth Muto's truly tragic success story has utterly overwhelmed all preveious online references to earlier winners! Just look her name up, her rags to riches story has artical, after artical, after artical! At any rate, the easy trail grows cold at that point, as typing in each year at a time no longer got me anywhare; Muto's name always took presidence with the words "Black", and "Nevada", over earlyer dates, every time! And there is no official online info on the pagent's imeadiat organization, just tangents to other black and ebony sites that list nothing on Nevada itself, or leading me to the regular Miss Nevada Pagent that is not Racaly Specific.

Some how, this Pagentry organization has fallen threw the internet cracks and over whelmed by other thing, or was never given its own website to begine with! Nothing short of going to Nevada in person and going throw the grapevine will help at this point.

Pretty conviniant how Sherida's history is totally obscured, Huh? If I was an old pagent winner, I would go to any leangths to make sure I was publicly remembered.

It, makes me wonder if some clever ass of an advertising agent working for scalpmed was aware of how obscure the "Miss Black Nevada Pagent" is, apart from Miss Muto's success.

Little King Tailor,

Welcome to our community.

You've really hit some of the key issues in unethical marketing.

Advertising at it's best typically overreaches while at its worst sells lies and deceit for a hefty price!

I just wrote a Hair Loss Q&A Blog on this recently that I will be posting shortly.

Here is a preview:

------------

Scalp Med infomercials among many others are one of the infamous examples of unethical marketing hard at work. Pictures, videos, testimonies all show hair loss sufferers regrowing a full head of hair even if these people were practically bald. Is this really what to expect from such a product? Is Scalp Med indeed a miracle cure for hair loss?

One has to keep in mind that advertising at it's best, typically overreaches in order to sell a product. At its worst however, it sells lies and deceit for a hefty price! Scalp Med is one such example of the latter.

"Success" stories aside, there are a few things everyone should understand about Scalp Med.

1. ScalpMed is said to be FDA approved and this is because it contains Minoxodil - one of the two FDA approved treatments for hair loss both for safety and efficacy. The inactive ingredients only act as a volumizing shampoo!

Here is a quote directly from Scalp Med's website:

"Scalp Med consists of several products. Vitadil-5A and Vitadil-2A which contain FDA-approved formulas for hair growth. The ACTIVE ingredient in both of these products is MINOXODIL. The other products in the Scalp Med system will provide you with thicker, cleaner, healthier, and more beautiful hair."

Please notice that "the other products in Scalp Med" do not say anything about regrowing miniaturized hair. It only acts as a volumizer to make hair appear thicker and a shampoo to make hair cleaner. The other words used "healthier" and "more beautiful hair" were unnecessary as that can be summed up in "thicker" and "cleaner". Perhaps Scalp Med gives extra shine. In fact, all of the inactive ingredients in scalp med can compare to Pantene shampoo and conditioner for a much cheaper price!

2. There are proven success stories about minoxodil out there - however, don't believe the miracle results you see on the ScalpMed commercial.

In the bottom right hand corner of the screen during the Scalp Med informercial that can only be seen with a magnifying glass reads "Results seen are NOT typical". I guess that is how they can get away with promotion of their product without being accused of downright lies!

3. ScalpMed is much more expensive than minoxodil.

A 2 month supply of Scalp Med is $159.80. Of course if you buy in BULK for a 6 month supply, you only pay $385.77.

In other words, their VERY BEST DEAL offers you Minoxodil and a volumizing shampoo at $64.30 per month.

Rogaine containing minoxodil can be purchased at a price between $20-$25 per month whereas generic minoxodil is between $10-$15 per month. Generic minoxodil is just as effective as Rogaine and Scalp Med.

My conclusion therefore is: Save your money and purchase the active ingredient which is minoxodil which can be bought in generic form or as Rogaine.

Best Wishes,

Bill

• 2 months later...

hello...hopefully you will get this response.

to answer your question, yes Sherida Devine is a former Miss Black Nevada. I know this because I know her personally. I am 25 years of age and I have been know her since I was a child. She was an extended family member (close friends with one of my family members). What she said about her hair loss I believe to be true because I do have memories of her wearing her hair in braids and extentions. Hopefully this will put those who believe that she is "just and actress" at ease. icon_wink.gif