alcohol

Guest brent

What is the effect on alcohol before a surgery? Some clinics say dont drink a week before, others say two. I know it thins the blood but im wondering if a few beers in the final week before a procedure affect it that much. Or if one or two drinks can make a huge difference?

What is the effect on alcohol before a surgery? Some clinics say dont drink a week before, others say two. I know it thins the blood but im wondering if a few beers in the final week before a procedure affect it that much. Or if one or two drinks can make a huge difference?

I'd have to look at my pre op instructions. It seems to me alcohol was restricted 48 hours rather than a week. I'll double check.

I'm surprised that alcohol, which dehydrates would have the effect of thinning the blood.

Certainly all blood thinners are to be avoided. I went off of fish oil several weeks before surgery.

mark h

I agree with the rest: you are taking a major chance and spending lots of money, so holding drinks for a week is a small sacrifice. I think it has to do with blood thinning which can stop the surgery earlier if it becomes a problem.

One week before and open week after (helps in healing) I think are good enough, but each doc has his own suggestions.

The physicians I have worked with have always restricted alcohol 24 hours prior to surgery. Aspirin was always the most important one to remember, as it has always been restricted one-week prior to surgery.

I am the patient coordinator for Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Alexander's Coalition Membership Profile

If your taking MSM stop that aswell. I kept taking it and when i had my HT i was a bit of a bleeder and the procedure took a bit longer as they had to spray my head with water to clear the blood. They said it didnt affect anything tho.