Do FUE grafts into scar tissue grow? You bet! Ultra-mega closeup photos

Some patient's skin are very flexible. This is great for obtaining large amounts of grafts via strip, but the down side is their scars tend to stretch out. A common and well known phenomenon, but until FUE came around, there really wasn't much that could be done.

The person in these photos is such a patient, so we placed 300 FUE grafts right into his scar. When he came back at 6 months I was very pleasantly surprised with how much growth and coverage he achieved. It really doesn't take alot of hair to break up a scar. While the scar area may not be as thick as the surrounding area in terms of coverage, he doesn't LOOK like he has a scar anymore.

From a standard distance you wouldn't even know he had a scar, so I took very close up pictures to show that indeed FUE grafts can and do grow in scar tissue.

WARNING: *** This doesn't mean it will work everytime on everybody.*** But we've had enough success at this point that we are offering FUE into scar widely as an effective treatement for stretch scars or otherwise obvious scarring.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Looks MUCH better to say the least. Any chance that you have an example that shows the result with a shaved head? Just curious on how the scar looks with FUE implanted when the hair is buzzed down. If acceptable it could potentially sway those of us who are leaning towards all FUE procedures that fear they will eventually progress to such an advanced stage of baldness that the best hairstyle option is to just buzz down. Thanks

Unfortunately, few HT patients are willing to shave their hair transplants after they grow, but I know what you are all angling toward but suspect it wouldn't work.

That is, I wouldn't think that one could shave the head to the skin and make it look as if there were never a linear scar just because of the FUE grafts. Once scar tissue is there, it's there for good. Using some grafts to break it up will be effective, but really if only the hair is allowed to grow to a cosmetically signficant length.

I wouldn't want people to think that they can do a strip surgery and then make the scar disappear to the point they could shave the head down to the skin by simply doing a second surgery FUE into scar.

For breaking up a widened scar with some length to the hair then yep, that will work. Beyond that, probably not in most cases.

Dr. F