HT with Dr. Bernstien? Infection issues?

Hi All,

I am going to get HT done by Dr. Bernstien next week. I have heard a lot of good things about him. I am in CA and I am flying to NY. I am 36 and NW6 and he recommended 2500 grafts. But stragely, I am less worried about my hairline and more about other things.

1. What are the chances of one getting serious infection from the procedure ( Dr. Bernstien's clinic). Hepities? HIV? any other?

2. What does Dr. Bernstien does to control the infection during and after the procedure.

3. What do you think about his staff. Do they take all the needed precautions against infections?

Even though I went ahead and made all the arrangements, leave from job, flight and hotel etc. I am having second thoughts on account of the above concerns. So if people can tell me their experiences with Dr. Bernstien and his staff I would appreciate it.

Hi All,

I am going to get HT done by Dr. Bernstien next week. I have heard a lot of good things about him. I am in CA and I am flying to NY. I am 36 and NW6 and he recommended 2500 grafts. But stragely, I am less worried about my hairline and more about other things.

1. What are the chances of one getting serious infection from the procedure ( Dr. Bernstien's clinic). Hepities? HIV? any other?

2. What does Dr. Bernstien does to control the infection during and after the procedure.

3. What do you think about his staff. Do they take all the needed precautions against infections?

Even though I went ahead and made all the arrangements, leave from job, flight and hotel etc. I am having second thoughts on account of the above concerns. So if people can tell me their experiences with Dr. Bernstien and his staff I would appreciate it.

Nick,

Welcome to our forum community.

I do see that you asked your questions and received many answers on this thread, but I thought I'd offer you some of my thoughts as well:

1. There are risks with any surgery including infection, however, the particular ailments you mention (HIV, hepatitis, etc) should be nonexistent since elite clinics will always use sterilized and/or new tools. You will not have to worry about this with Dr. Bernstein.

2. Infection is such a broad term however, using sterile and/or new tools, wearing surgical gloves, keeping the environment clean, not overtaxing the donor, etc are all things done during surgery to eliminate some and minimize other risks of infection.

3. I never met his staff personally, but Pat, our Publisher has visited and reviewed in detail Dr. Bernstein and his staff and live surgery. See Pat's visitation and review of Dr. Bernstein's clinic.

I know that you will be in wonderful and clean hands with Dr. Bernstein and his staff icon_smile.gif

Bill

Nick, I know what you are thinking but you need to relax and look forward to the process. You are not going to a hole in the wall dive with strangers working on you. I have had 2 repairs and a large session with Dr. B. They are pros and do everything possible to make sure things are done correctly. They wouldn't be in buisness if they had the type of problems you are worried about. I would be more worried about the lady I get my teeth cleaned from which is minor, than Dr. Bernstein and his staff. The staff is all cool as is Dr. B who is real mellow. They listen to you and get you anything you need. You go in, get numbed up, watch a movie or two or take a snooze, have lunch and then your done! Every time I was finished, even with the repairs I felt fine. I even walked each time back to Grand Central. YOU ARE IN GOOD HANDS. It's ok to be a little nervous that's normal but you should realax and be glad you are doing something about your hair loss. I am going to have another session in Jan 2009. Can't wait, wish it were tommorow!

Hi Nick,

Take a deep breath and relax. His office is spotless and so is his staff. I was in the chair the whole day during my procedure and there were no problems at all. I talked with his staff during the surgery and they are really sharp and know what they're doing and Dr. B's one of the best.

WilliamB:

You pics look awesome for just 5 months out! What a difference.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Also, I agree with NYBOY. I'm sure it's the same with Dr. Bernstein, but I found my doctors operating room to be a much better envioronment than my local small town hospital.

I'd say you're as likely to get something at the Arby's down the street than from his clinic.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I had my first HT with Dr. Bernstein in late Feb 08. I was really impressed with his attitude about HTs (not a chop-shop procedure; very against marketing). Also, his staff was really great. Some of the techs have worked with Dr. B for over 12 years.

If people stay with him that long, he must be a cool boss to work for. Also, the clinic is comfortably furnished and just gives an impression that they care about where they work, so it is SO unlikely that there would ever be any hygiene issues.

By now you probably went through with your procedure and are on your way to recovery. Grow! Grow!