Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

Are you talking strip or fue? $3.50 -5 strip $6-14 fue

hm... im not really sure what the difference between the two is. i havent been researching very long.

Sounds like you've been quoted for 'mini-grafts'. If so, don't do it. Post some pics of your head and you'll get an estimate.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Hair-Loss-Treatmen...transplant-costs.asp

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

How old are you Nikan?

Who quoted you 500 grafts?

Given your level of recession, I can hardly imagine you would see much a benefit.

I would continue to ask questions before committing to any surgery.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I would send those pics to Shapiro, Feller, and Alexander to get their opinion. If you're 30 or so, I'd go for about 2000 at about $8k or so.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Start Propecia and rogaine now and save yourself some heartache. Wait a year or two and see what your progress is. 22 is to young for a HT. Look at alot of photos and do tons of research and in the mean time the hair loss should slow down or stop for long enough for you to be lucky to start the process when hair cloning is available. We're all waiting for that.

i think 2500 may be alittle much, 3500 is way to much. you have more recession than me, but ur still a class 2 like me. depending on how thick you want your transplanted hair to be, 1,200-2,000 grafts is probably what your looking at. at least thats my opinion after looking at your pictures.

nikan,

Welcome to our hair loss forum. You have come to the right place to begin your research.

At 22 years old and no real signs of loss (other than your receded hairline you say you've had since you remember), I would suggest that you are not a hair transplant candidate at this time. You are young and hair loss may still be in your future. Using up 2500 grafts to lower your hairline at such a young age when hair loss may still be in your future may not be the best idea.

See What should I consider when researching hair transplantation?

Best wishes,

Bill

i respectfully disagree that he is not a candidate for a hair transplant. i agree that 2000 grafts would probably be to many, but 1,000-1,200 is not out of the question. Its really a personal choice, if he doesnt want to have a receding hairline then get the procedure done. yes he may need more surgeries in the future, but he will have enough donor hair left over. plus if he starts propecia, it will only help. im kinda in the same boat, im alittle older and have slightly less hair loss, but i am going to go through with it simply because i dont want to have a receding hairline anymore. its just my personal choice. if your gonna go through with it, make sure you find a good surgeon who understands what you want.

22 might not be the best time ,but when is ? When you go through your 20s insecure, and miserable.

Its obviously really bothers him . Yeah you could put 1200 grafts to try and fill in the recession WITHOUT lowering the hairline but to have the normal 7-8 cm hairline that matches the surronding hair hes going to need over 2000 grafts easy.

His hairline not only is receded its very high.

Meds and transplant by a great doctor is his way out. Meds alone is not going to lower anything. It sucks to be in his situation .I was exactly like him at 22 and had 900 grafts to try and fix it and it was thin and ridiculous

If your going to get it done ,try and get it finished in one pass . You dont want to go super aggressive but a thin transplant is WORSE then what your dealing with now. If your ok with the hairline height then obviously youll need less grafts but for lowering and filling in the temples 1200 grafts will just piss you off.

If you have NO family history of hairloss and your pattern has been like that for as long as you can remember then using a higher number of grafts is not only safer but the only way to lower and match the rest of your hair.

Yes 3500 is high but knowing what I know now If I had no family history of hairloss I would go for a higher number of grafts to try and aviod a second procedure.

Go look at your entire family of men both sides and see how they look.

I can see making a case for a smaller session to maybe slightly lower the hairline (keeping it conservative) to give him a boost of confidence, but a larger ultra dense packed session at such a young age might be problematic in the event he experiences a lot of future hair loss.

Just some things to consider.

Bill

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by mochi:

anyone have an idea of what the average cost would be for about 1500 grafts? Does it vary by state, I live in CA.

Also, what are some other costs that are tacked onto the procedure. Do estimates include any kits or medications?

mochi,

I'm certain it varies, but I would estimate a 1500 graft session, which nowadays would be considered small to medium I suppose, would be about $6 - 8,000. As you go up in graft count, the "price per graft" will tend to go down.

Keep in mind a clinic might do one procedure a day, so you could get a better value by stepping up to 2500 or so, probably. There was a recent post from Dr. Reed and Dr. Carman detailing their price structure so that might help. They are in LaJolla, CA.

Some do charge extra for other parts of the process, but I think most just charge a flat fee.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Mochi at SMG our rates are 5.00 per graft up to 2000 ---3.00 per graft thereafter.

For a 1500 graft procedure is 7500.00---there is a travel discount I believe, but you will have to call Matt Zupan for that.

I believe our pricing is in the middle as far as what other clinics are charging.

I would expect to pay 6500-8000 for 1500 grafts at most clinics.

Take Care and Good Luck!!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.