My second with Dr. Ron Shapiro

johnnie69

so, youre not gonna take propecia either bezane?

What Are you doing instead...I been reading alot about the natural way..although unproven, Im still leaning towards it over finasteride.....

Where do I find the regeimn you mentioned??

Hey Johnnie....I'm not on Propecia because I don't think there's much to save. So why be on the drugs? Dr. said it could prevent thinning on the sides so I don't have to go lower but I don't think so at this point. I'm going for a pretty full look now. I was never bald when I started. But a lot of hair keeps falling out. Some guys think it's shock loss, but a lot of is just continuing balding. Yeah, it might happen faster but, I have the feeling we're in denial just like our initial balding. We just don't want to admit it. I've actually had compliments from people before my procedure the other day. Slicked back thinning look. Some people thought it looked cool. So I'll continue the style, just less thinning.

If you think you have a lot of hair worth saving, get on Propecia. But the quality of your diet and skin has to figure in it. Stay tan without too much sun. It makes a world of difference. Stay in shape. Doesn't have to be thin and muscular. could be stocky, but whatever it is, look good in it and be confident.

The regimen I'm talking about is Nicholas Perricone's diet. I wouldn't sign up for his program, just read one book and get the idea. Fish oil, bright green vegetables and antioxidant berries. If you cut out the sugar and eat just that for a week you'll be amazed how good you look. I imagine it helps your head and scalp the same. Add a little bit of vitamin D (sunlight) and your off to the races.

No way I'm going through all this crap and not getting stylish. Got to have the look. As shallow as it sounds, we all look like or resemble someone famous. Look at the magazines. It's often said the only difference between you and them is a damn good stylist. Hair, teeth, skin, body, clothes that fit and make you look good. It's a package. We're all so hellbent beaten to death by our heads that we forget everything else. Be confident. Get it together. If you're going to be out of shape, then be out of shape like James Gandolfini. Look at the style. He's got something going on besides just being famous. Some girls go nuts over that look. Some don't. But they all respect it.

Just my take on it. Learn to walk in every room like you own the place. And if you have bad teeth and you think the hair is expensive, forget it. But I'm told that people notice your smile/mouth/teeth more than anything. Then shoes man, remeber the shoes.

Good luck all. There's so much more we can do while we're waiting for the hair to fill out. And if you're addicted to the hat, look good in it. Try different hats. Some cool stuff out there that happens to be in style. You don't have to be looking like a pig because you're uptight about the hair and put on some ugly baseball cap.

Everyone here knows the torment we've all suffered brought on by a cruel social way. Concentrate on feeling great. We're here, so we can take care of the hair, we know that, positively. Let's get back all that wasted time and grab a few brass rings.

Johnny69:

I had my procedure done in January and had planned everything so that I would be free for at least 10 days. First thing that happens is my partner's mother gets sick in Oklahoma. He leaves town and I have to get legal papers redone that were done before I did the HT-not once but twice. Next up my daughter who lives in LA is being stalked and I have to get her out of her apartment and get all her stuff and her car shipped to an un disclosed location.

Even with what I had to deal with I think my worst fear would be an untimely death-going to my church with a hat on would take some balls.

Johnnie69-

Just wanted to say thank you for being so candid with all your posts. I'm relatively new to this site and I'm really glad I found it. I went through three transplant surgeries from the age of 18 or 19 to the age of 23, I'm currently 25, and the results from the surgeries are not good. The surgeries were performed by Dr. Elliot and he was really aggressive, really low hairline, and used over three thousand graft. Well I'm 25 and my hair loss has continued, my hairline doesn't look natural, just started taking Propecia, and hoping for a miracle. I've been wearing a hat non-stop for six plus years and I haven't taken it off at all. I know all about the hat and worrying about social situations, your number one concern becomes the hat. No one knows why I wear the hat. I just tell people i like it and just let me be. You know you're a true hat wearer when you see some of these Muslims wearing whatever it is they wear on there heads, and you realize that it's perfectly accepted for them to wear there head covering in all situations and social functions, and you begin to wish that you could wear that head covering to. I pretty much avoid all situations where wearing a hat is not normally accepted. I just starting to gather the resolve to see if something else can be done. I'm going to try and visit a few doctors to see what they think. I really got to get some good opinions to see if my situation can be improved. I'm so amazingly sick of dealing with the whole thing and the it really has effected my life in a very negative way. Anyways, keep up the postings and please share with me any recommendations or anything that might help.

sure34...I get what youre saying about the hat thing...there are some good repair docs out there today....I dont wanna sound cliche, but Dr Shapiro is pretty regarded in the area....

I didnt need repair work, so I didnt really research it......a safe start is Dr Shapiro, read some good thigs about him in this regard....but get more than one opinion....

I think Mud said somethin above about the danger of my post and a guy reading it and not going to see anyone else other that Shapiro....although I think that you/one would be safe if you only went to see Doc, I would recommend at least 3 consultations .... personally, before my 1st surgery, I consulted with at least 5 before deciding on Shapiro...and took over a year to to it......

Good luck in resolving the situation and getting on with life.....consider starting your own thread asking for positive experiences with repair work...and, sorry Pat, dont limit yourself to just this forum....

• Administrators

Sure34,

I appreciate you bringing your surgical experience with Dr. Elliott to my attention and to those reading this forum. I also appreciate your time on the telephone yesterday.

Given your experience I have suspended Dr. Elliot's recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network.

While I know that Dr. Elliot has many satisfied patients with natural looking follicular unit results - a physician/clinic needs to show a consistant and proven track record of excellent results to remain recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. This includes good judgement in patient selection and planning for long term hair loss.

Perhaps I'm making an error in removing his recommendation. But when it comes to life long surgical results I feel it is neccisary to error on the side of being overly conservative.

I do intend to again visit clinics in California this year. Perhaps this will include Dr. Elliot's clinic. If I can re-establish confidence in the quality of his work then perhaps his recommendation will be reactivated.

Sure34, the physicians we discussed for refining your hairline (Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Keene, Dr. Hasson etc) all have the capability of giving you a subtle and natural hairline.

I'm sorry about your experience to date. I do expect that in the hands of the surgeons you are considering you will be able resolve your issue. I'm also glad to hear that you have gotten on Propecia to slow or halt your hair loss.

Best wishes and please keep us all posted.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Johnnie 69 - thanks for your candidness! Keep it up and I look forward to your updates. I will do likewise when my procedure is on.

Pat - you continue to impress me!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Got my staples out today..some of them came out easy, some hurt like a bitch....funny, I told someone to save a pain pill for the removal and I didnt...Read a tip on another forum about staple removal...soak a towel in hot water and place it on the staples and then remove them...had the girl do it, about 4 times, and it helped alot...

I didnt goto Shapiros office for the removal, 1000 miles away, so they set me up locally...thanks. The office I went to didnt have a digital camera, hence no photos from there today, and nothing to measure in mm, so no measurements....they did take some polaroids for me though....made lots of comments about how nice the suture was...feels alot better since I got the staples out...they had to ask where my graphs were placed and asked how far out I was...even washed my hair for me...They got on me about my hat, so I switched back to my bandana for a while...not like its anything out of the ordinary for me..and, shockingly enough, they advised me to take Propecia...Anyway, cool of them to do what they did for me, so, if they are reading this....Thanks.

Numbness has started to subside, mostly in the donor region now, and Im starting to itch...using Scarzone am/pm and Mederma in the day....Emu really calms the itch in combo with the aloe...

Switced out the Spectral for Dr lees Xandrox 5% for now...no testing when its the sole product...applying the Xan pm only until the 4 week mark, then I will add the Spectral am. Still using the emu oil and pure aloe vera on the crown, not the hairline...and ocassionaly emu on the suture line..Used the last of the Graphcyte shampoo/conditioner today, back to amer crew shampoo/conditioner...

Was gonna get a haircut, but im gonna wait and see how many graphs shed and how many stay, also, got some shock loss in the donor, so it has to be hidden for a while...seems that the shed is slowing now, hopefully it is done in regards to shock loss...maybe ill get lucky and most of the graphs wont shed...

Ill try and photograph the donor myself and post some pics later....really have no way of measuring the scar width though....

• 4 weeks later...

tomorrow will be 6 weeks post-op for me...just had a haircut this past weekend, had to leave the front longer and still no way Id be in public w/o my hat...

the shed seems to be over, and the donor numbness is slowly fading, most prominent in the area where the scar was revised/excised.

Using scar-zone 2x daily on the donor....I wait till it dries and add emu oil on top of it and usually one other time daily by itself....the redness is fading, more distinct in the revised area....

Using Spectral DNC 2x daily.....and also emu oil 2-3x daily....when I apply the emu, I always add some aloe to it....

I started taking a refrigerated EFA and vitiman silica...continue with a multi, msm and biotin...

I also got a laser comb, but Im not very consistent with it....

Thats about it...the waiting SUCKS!!!!!

I definatly recommend the scarzone and the emu...for not only the healing and dermis strenghtening properties, but the anti-itch....especially in the donor...

AS for growth, the lateral alleys are starting to grow, but I dont know if its native or transplanted...same with the crown...

Johnnie69 - Thanks keeping us posted. I just had my staples out yesterday and - similar to yours - some hurt and some were barely even noticeable. You used up all of your pain medication? I only took two the night of the procedure and that was it (mind you - I only had 1662 FU's).

What is the Scar Zone that you take? I've also never heard of using Emu Oil?

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

MM--I dont take Scar Zone, its a topical to reduce the appearance of the scar...I liked the ingredients better than Mederma, and it helps to contol the itch....

Im sure you have heard of using Vit E oil....emu has superior characteristics, and to me, should be used by all post-op....

I get mine here..... www.allaboutemu.com....you can read about it there....I use the pure emu oil....worked wonders on the donor and receipt, and ill probably continue to use it....

And as for the pain pills, my donor area is hypersensitive, I could have used more...