4+months...still waiting

Im starting to get more and more concerned. Im about 4.5 mts post op from a 1200 grafts procedure. I have been waiting patiently, but looking at some of the pictures, after 4mts, most people are already growing their hair. I have not had any growth yet. Ive been touching and feeling my scalp all the time, and still nothing. About a week ago, I went back to the clinic to get more propecia, and at the restroom I bumped into my doctor. I was wearing a cap, of course, like I always do, so he didnt take a look at my head. But I mentioned that it hasnt grown yet. He told me it should sprout any moment now, and ill start seeing results very soon. They did tell me that the sleeping phase for the transplanted hairs was about 4mts. However, ive heard 3mts from other sources. Either way, Im now close to 5.

Also, I want to get a 2nd procedure soon, maybe another 1000 grafts or so, just the hairline for density. After reviewing pictures and doing research, I realized that even if my transplanted hairs do grow,after its all set and done, for the results I want, im going to need more grafts. This time ill go somewhere else, because even though these people are extremely professional and courteous, I seriously spent way too much. I probably could have spent about half elsewhere. Before I undergo another procedure, I want to make sure that i got my money's worth for the first one, and make sure that the hairs do grow. I want the 2nd one to enhance the 1st, not to replace it. Am I just a late bloomer, or is this abnormal? They did promise to replace grafts if they didnt grow, but im hoping that they do start growing so that i can get my 2nd one done. Also, does anyone know of any good ht surgeons in the L.A,CA and surrounding areas? Ill travel to central CA or AZ if theyre worth it. Any useful info would be greatly appreciated.

Im starting to get more and more concerned. Im about 4.5 mts post op from a 1200 grafts procedure. I have been waiting patiently, but looking at some of the pictures, after 4mts, most people are already growing their hair. I have not had any growth yet. Ive been touching and feeling my scalp all the time, and still nothing. About a week ago, I went back to the clinic to get more propecia, and at the restroom I bumped into my doctor. I was wearing a cap, of course, like I always do, so he didnt take a look at my head. But I mentioned that it hasnt grown yet. He told me it should sprout any moment now, and ill start seeing results very soon. They did tell me that the sleeping phase for the transplanted hairs was about 4mts. However, ive heard 3mts from other sources. Either way, Im now close to 5.

Also, I want to get a 2nd procedure soon, maybe another 1000 grafts or so, just the hairline for density. After reviewing pictures and doing research, I realized that even if my transplanted hairs do grow,after its all set and done, for the results I want, im going to need more grafts. This time ill go somewhere else, because even though these people are extremely professional and courteous, I seriously spent way too much. I probably could have spent about half elsewhere. Before I undergo another procedure, I want to make sure that i got my money's worth for the first one, and make sure that the hairs do grow. I want the 2nd one to enhance the 1st, not to replace it. Am I just a late bloomer, or is this abnormal? They did promise to replace grafts if they didnt grow, but im hoping that they do start growing so that i can get my 2nd one done. Also, does anyone know of any good ht surgeons in the L.A,CA and surrounding areas? Ill travel to central CA or AZ if theyre worth it. Any useful info would be greatly appreciated.

goingbaldn20s,

I second JacobS, e-mail or go to Tuscon to see Dr. keene. She did my 2000+ in March and I've no regrets. On the 10th of July, I'll post the 4 month pics update- Bonzo

Thanks, I have heard a lot of good things about this Dr. Keene. It seems like she's one of the best in the business according to a lot of testimonies. Does anybody know her clinic's web site, phone number, or email address? Id like to do my 2nd procedure no later than mid-August, depending on my finances. Also, Bonzo, if you dont mind me asking, how much was your procedure, or do you have any idea how much 1000 grafts would cost me? Thanks again

goingbaldn20s,

Here is the link to Dr. Keene's Coalition page which contains her profile, previous patient photos, interviews, and her contact details.

Here is her virtual consultation form.

Good luck in your search. You will find that Dr. Keene is a compassionate, yet very no-nonsense physician with impeccable skill and very concerned with patient satisfaction.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 5 weeks later...

Tymman,

I apologize for my VERY late reply, I havent visited the site since I was on vacation for the last few weeks...I actually have a lot more Qs, I really need some help. I made a terrible choice when I got my ht. I got it done @Bosley Beverly Hills...I know now that w/them its all about the money and Ill never EVER go back again, I just didnt know any better then.

Granted I overspent and messed up, I figured my ht's should still grow. Im now 5.5 mths out and very confused. Still tiny stubble(no growth), same way its been for last few mts.

I still lose hair, but now Im shedding like crazy especially from the back and sides(not just the scar region)This started worsening about 3wks ago since I started using minox5%but has been happening for a while,I know minox wouldnt cause that since its topical and not applied to sides and back, but who knows, Could this be shock loss such a long time after, or related to propecia, or what the heck is going on? Ive held back on my 2nd ht until I can control the loss...I need some help, does anyone have advice?Drugs dont seem to work, but Ill stick w/minox 5% and Propecia. Im determined to have more hair, I dont care what it takes...but at the same time Im very depressed and discouraged. Need advise please.

Stick with the meds.

The problem you are describing sounds like shock loss, also sounds like what happens when some people try new meds. they say it causes a little shedding but that it evetually grows back.

Shiny Side Up!!

Tymman,

Is doctor Deyarman in So Cal? I heard he is located in San Diego, where I wouldnt mind driving to. Can you give me his contact info?

Ive been thinking of contacting Dr Keene in AZ who is highly regarded, but if I can find a reputable doc in SoCal, Id rather stay local.

Thanks

I have to say, I'm very concerned for goingbaldn20s. I haven't done any individual research on Bosley, but I've heard just about everybody say how awful they are. That being said, I'm not sure I understand why your hairs aren't growing in...and I'd be concerned about going for a second HT before the first ones start to sprout. I have more questions than answers for you I guess...but I'm with you. I don't know how wise it would be to go get a second HT in case the 1st HT hairs start growing in at some point. Does anyone know...what are the chances that the first HT hairs will still grow in at 5.5 months post op if no growth has started yet? Anyone know? This really hasn't been addressed by anyone here...but it definately seems that this is absolutely abnormal and a devastation especially being that you put out a lot of money for this and now have a scar to prove you've gotten an HT, but no results. Can anyone address if the HT he had may still grow? Any other cases like his where the grafts haven't grown in even a little bit by this point? Thanks.

Bill

3 months for the dormant phase is average, so that means some guys a little less time, some guys a little more time.

Remember that your hair only grows about a half-inch per month, too. So it gets off to a slow start.

This fellow should stay on Propecia and Minoxidil (just follow the directions). It doesn't help to stop and start on your treatments, just stick with it. Ideally, you have stablized your hair loss BEFORE any surgery, because otherwise after surgery you could be hit harder with shock loss. This fellow sounds like he is going through a shed. It could be shock loss, it could be a shed from Propecia, it could be that his hair loss is just going full speed ahead (it could be all 3 combined). If it's a shed from the meds, then ideally all that hair will come back strong. Quitting the meds now will probably just kill any hope of that happening.

The best thing is to stick with the meds, take care of your grafted scalp, stay healthy (no smoking for example) and hopefully he will pull through.

Oh yeah, you can get better results than Bosley if you shop around, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking alot of this loss is probably from starting the meds and stress. I know I had alot of sheding when I first started my meds but it grew back shortly. As far as the grafts, I'm not sure. Seems as if there would be some stubble at least by now. I know it takes a great deal of skill under a high power microscope to disect the strip into individual folicular units. I'm wondering if it's possible that whoever did the strip disection actually damaged the grafts. I guess only time will tell. Definately talk to a different Doctor with a good reputation about where to go from here. Also I would not even consider a second HT until I knew what happened to the first one or see if it is indeed going to grow. I really did not have much growth at 4 months but did have some stubble.

Whatever the result, please keep everyone here up on what you find out and best of luck.

• 1 month later...

Hey Goingbaldn20s

Who did you end up consulting with? I hope you checked out dr. Keene. She has an excellent reputation.

I had a HT with Dr. Deyarman about 11 months ago. Results were medicore. There is a reason why there is a short list of HIGHLY recomended doctors. Do your research at multiple locations on the internet!

Good luck.

hey spock,

I'm curious, you said you only got mediore results with Dr. Deyarman. I'm just over 2 months post op & I had my procedure with Dr. Deyarman. I had 1200 FUT. Everything seems ok, but it's my first HT so I don't know what to really expect. I guess I'll have to wait and see around month 6 for noticable results. I've only heard positive feed back on Dr. Deyarman on this site.