Second thoughts?

An active member of these forums for a while now, and like most, a frequent viewer for much time before that. Always felt so excited about the prospect of my HT. Researched intensely, asked question, viewed results. Dont get me wrong, the art of the HT undeniably has great results. Confirmed my date maybe 12 months ago, would be coming up this November but had to change the date until next year due to work commitments.

But, as I wait, particularly lately Im having a lot of second thoughts regarding how good a candidate I genuinly am. I would say that I am a Norwood 4, with diffuse thinning, and am 25 years old. Started noticing hairloss at 16/17 and despite meds since 19/20, I dont believe that they are working so well for me. Lately, Ive seen a few cases where all donor grafts are used, and patients pattern evolves, and an unnatural result occurs. Ive voiced my concerns with my Dr, awaiting further replys. What do you guys think? Heres me pics:

http://hair-restoration-info.c...66060861/m/574102131

Thanks all!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Everyone should try the shaved/buzzed look (if you can) before doing a HT. Because once you start down the HT path, that option is gone forever.

It's quite common these days to go shaved. Many guys with full heads of hair do it and it is really a style now.

Rememeber, it's not the bald scalp that get people looking at you. It's the contrast between the existing hair and bald scalp, esecially if you are trying to coneal it.

Raphael, interesting points.

I believe each patient is different in terms of how they might gain from a HT.

I've seen pictures of some people who had extraordinarily positive transformations after a HT, and these are the profiles that gave me the encouragement to proceed with a HT surgery. On the other hand, I have seen pictures of some HT patients who I think might have been better off instead with a shaved head or something. Finally, some had really scary outcomes.

I guess like most things in life, it depends on several uncontrollable variables(like hair characteristics, etc.) and other uncertainties. So in many cases, it's very difficult to judge if someone is a good patient for HT or not.

I think you have taken the right step in talking to your doctor about this.

Raphael84,

I completely understand your concerns because I share them. I would strongly consider having FUE instead of strip. That way, if you do continue to lose a lot more hair, you can buzz down and still look really nice. Ultimately you will have to weigh the pros and cons of strip v. FUE v. nothing at all, and make the decision.

Originally posted by Raphael84:

Lately, Ive seen a few cases where all donor grafts are used, and patients pattern evolves, and an unnatural result occurs.

Where are these results? A lot of younger (and older) patients could probably benefit from seeing them.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

As Severn suggested, it's a good idea to try the shaved/buzzed look before taking the plunge, as many guys look great that way (especially with light-colored hair like yours).

I'll also second Sparky's advice: don't do an HT until your doubts are resolved and you're certain that's the best path, as there's no turning back once you head down that road.

Mattj - Here is one recent case example

http://hair-restoration-info.c...21087683/m/653105724

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Raphael,

It's very normal to be reluctant and have doubts prior to your hair transplant procedure - especially now that the date is approaching.

It's normal to have doubts and still go through with the procedure. But it also important that you are comfortable with the plan of action.

From what I can tell in the photos, you appear to be a good candidate for a hair transplant, in particular FUT.

There appears to be a new trend where many are suggesting FUE in patients whom I think would not make good candidates. This of course, is strictly my opinion, but I want to add some serious word of caution.

The only real advantages of FUE are no linear scar and faster healing time. In optimal cases, both a FUT linear scarring and FUE scarring are minimal and can be concealed even with a short haircut. FUT is still far cheaper, goals can often be met in one or two procedures, and has a much longer history of success and consistency.

Contrary to views some may have, I still believe FUE is better in patients with minimal hair loss and have minimal risk to experience extensive baldness.

Some have stated that FUE is a good solution for young patients because it gives patients the option to shave their head later if they choose. Personally, I think that's a terrible plan since you might as well throw your hard earned money in the trashcan. In my opinion, any hair transplant procedure should be considered permanent and long term goals (not just immediate gratification) should be considered. For more information, read what recommended physician Dr. Cam Simmons says by viewing "Is FUE the Solution for Young Hair Loss Sufferers?.

I had a hair loss sufferer tell me in an email the other day that he's concerned that he hasn't been able to find any FUE results on the internet that look nearly as good as the same number of grafts via strip. And he's right. Reputable surgeons performing FUE will even admit that consistency with this procedure needs to increase. Thus, though I wouldn't go as far as considering FUE an experimental procedure, it still appears to have more room for failure than strip - a procedure that's been successful and consistent for many years in the hands of an elite surgeon.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

Thank you for the response. I was kind of hoping that you would contribute here with words of reassurance. It does help, so thank you.

I do honestly believe that in going ahead with my HT, I am doing the right thing. I didnt confirm a date lightly without years of research and decision making. Obviously, its natural to have some concerns or reservations regarding a decision as big as this. I think I just needed that nod of reassurance and to hear that it is normal to go through these emotions.

I will be forwarding some fresh pics over to my Dr tomorrow, and with a positive response, I shall return back to my previously more settled and positive frame of mind!

I feel that the doubts involved, are not necessarily doubts that can be resolved. I would imagine that pretty much all HT patients who have undergone "strip surgery", are surely concerned about their scar and how this may effect them in the future. It would be irresponsible not to consider this. Eventually, you make a calculated decision I suppose.

Originally posted by Raphael84:

I feel that the doubts involved, are not necessarily doubts that can be resolved. I would imagine that pretty much all HT patients who have undergone "strip surgery", are surely concerned about their scar and how this may effect them in the future. It would be irresponsible not to consider this. Eventually, you make a calculated decision I suppose.

I had the same sort of doubts before my surgery. If you're a cautious person who likes to analyse all possible outcomes then this can be even more intense.

It's not doubts about the procedure or doctor as such - those can be resolved through research - it's more the feeling that you don't know what will happen in the future, but you somehow hope everything will work out in your favour.

I think that every HT patient hopes for a bit of luck regarding future loss etc, but not everyone can be lucky.

No amount of research can fully resolve this - you can only prepare yourself by choosing a doctor that meets your needs.

After surgery you may continue to have the same worries and may even have moments when you regret the decision. These should go away once you start to see the new hair grow (I assume), but it's a difficult wait.

I agree with much of what has been said. And I agree with Bill that FUT seems best suited for you. *Unless*....

You intend to do but 1 FUE session in the forseeable future, and you use this FUE session to artistically construct a hairline, which you then buzz down and just forget about hair. You'd essentially be looking to achieve a very attractive shaved look, best defined by that which still has the constructs of a strong, pleasing hairline. Then, going forward you can always play things by ear and have more options as to whether you get a HT, and whether you continue with FUE or switch to strip down the road and blast things.

That said, I think a HT with Dr. Rahal could do you wonders. You remind me a lot of myself. We have different types of MPB, of course, but the bones of our cases are quite similiar, and I think we share/have shared similiar expectations and reservations.

One thing to keep in mind is that the HT is essentially an investment that can cary different risk-reward ratios depending on which route of the HT you take. And no matter what, it is possible to think up a scenario that is unfavorable -- the question is how that objectively stacks up to the potential, and almost certain positives.

There are risks to getting a HT, there are also risks in not getting a HT. How deeply does your current loss affect you? Only you truly know, and can comprehend and appreciate the ramifications for not doing anything.

My personal take is that Dr. Rahal will do you a huge solid and you will get a "wow" result. How huge having a nice head of hair vs. having what you currently have is really something that only you can ultimately know.

If you go this route, I would saying that being prepared (financially and emotionally) for going in for another HT to combat continued loss is the biggest thing.

And the worst case scenario truly isn't horrible, and I'm not sure I'd even call it "worse" than the alternative. If over the next several decades, and assuming no new advances, if you have a below-average donor and you end up being someone very unlucky who rapidly ends up progressing to some NW7+ you might not have enough donor to get a full look of coverage. With a great doctor and great gameplanning this scenario's force can be blunted considerably.

Again, even if this happens, you are essentially juxtaposing it with simply being bald without a doubt and going all of those years/decades as such.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thana,

Thanks for your post, which I have read and re-read. It makes a lot of sense to me. I believe that we have similar philosophies of HT??s. The point of this post was to hopefully receive the reassurance and agreeance that these thoughts are the norm.

My pattern is quite progressed and in my opinion and that of my Dr??s cannot be fully addressed in one procedure alone. Therefore, I have planned both finacially and mentally to undertake the 2nd procedure more or less a year after my first. I am not naive enough to believe that one procedure can meet my goals, however realistic they and I prove to be. I just hope that my progressive pattern and donor are on my side when considering the future.

But, like you said. My hopefully "wow" result will be a much improved situation. Time will tell!

Thanks again!

If I knew for a fact that my donor would never thin, I would undergo a strip procedure without question. It's cheaper, more consistent, and proven. But, take a look around at men who are 50+ and balding. You will see that quite a few of them have a very thin donor, and that a strip scar would be easily visible on them. Granted, there are a number of older men with great donor, but nobody knows if they will be one of the fortunate ones.

I agree with Bill that choosing FUE if you plan on shaving down in the future is a waste of money. But, if future loss necessitates that you shave down, would you rather have a strip scar or FUE scarring?

I think your fears are well founded, and no amount of research can ever fully assuage them.

Last, if you're experiencing aggressive balding in your 20's (as you are), you stand a great chance of evolving into a 40 year old man with a NW 6 or 7 pattern. Is that a guarantee? Of course not, but the likelihood is higher. For a man who is already 45 and a NW 6 or 7, the conservative hairline and thin crown is a very acceptable look. But, that same look on a 25 year old is not. So what do you do? Do you transplant for what you may become and look bad now, or do you transplant a hairline that is "conservative", but maybe not conservative enough if your balding becomes severe, and look good for the next few years?

I've wrestled with that a million times in my hand, and because of the uncertainty of the future, I believe that having a nice hairline done via FUE is the best way to balance present wants v. future needs. If my baldness does get severe, I can always do the Zidane look, but with a little higher hairline, and a bit more on top.

My dad is pushing 60, and in the past 5 years he has moved towards a definite NW 7 pattern. Just a few years ago he was a 6. I shudder to think what would have happened if he were transplanted just 12 years ago when he was a NW 5 at age 45. His donor is still good, but who knows, that might start going too.

ScottishGuy - I agree, thanks for your input.

TC17 - You explain this very well. This is the issue and the negativity towards the surgery. Obviously with this potentially realistic view, there is still huge scope of intensity. Such as understanding but very hopeful and optimistic on one side, to understanding and the feeling that this will surely happen to you and therefore this is the main motovation toward not continuing down the FUT path. You obviously side on the second. Which could well be the right side eventually, nobody knows.

Feeling a little more positive myself today, and I feel I have surpassed this most recent feeling of negativity and worry over my HT. Therefore, I can today say that despite possible concerns of thinning in my donor at 50 or 60 (very possible given my age and aggresive pattern), is this genuinly a worse situation than facing "baldness" in my everyday life from 25. At an age that I believe to be the peak of my life. With that viewpoint, there can be no arguement. I would rather live in freedom and with peace of mind for 25 years, than with reserve and unhappily, not being the true real me for the rest of my days. Hopefully, with time, a positive attitude and good/better genetics, this will prove to be the right decision. And hopefully (just a hope, I am not naive enough to think that this will be), as I reach 50/60, the age and situation in question, I will have matured enough, and learnt to handle such things better, in a way that I can be more relaxed and show more acceptance with my situation. Maybe then I can really feel, the way I probably should, but right now, just cant. That there is much more to life than hair.

But until then, I post, research, wait and hope!

Any man who hasn't at some stage doubted whether he wants to go through with transplant surgery hasn't given the subject enough thought. There are inherent risks and uncertainties that demand careful consideration and which will trigger second thoughts in people who have done their research.

It sounds like you've done your reading and your thinking, so you're well prepared. Now it's up to Dr. Rahal to deliver. I reckon you're in good hands.

How many grafts are you set to receive? I imagine you aren't going to go too low with your hairline.

-------------------------

Hey Matt,

Good response. What you write rings true. Regarding graft numbers with Dr Rahal. We have estimated 3000. Hoping for more on the day but with a 2nd procedure already planned mentally, its the "final" results collectively that are of more importantance.

My feelings regarding hairline, are to be as conservative as possible. As Ive experienced hairloss from a young age, it feels that I have never had a particularly low or young hairline, so a mature hairline will be my wishes. I think this will be the best way to go, regarding my age and level of hairloss.

So Matt, I see you are currently employed by Rahal. Is this a recent development or have you been working more behind the scenes? Does this mean that you have undergone a HT? Your experiences?

It's a very recent development. It's a very modest role, just keeping tabs on the forums and helping out where I can. No pushing, no sales BS. My activity won't even be weighted towards Dr Rahal threads.

I used to post mainly at hairlosshelp going back to 2005, but that place seems to have become less active of late.

I haven't yet gone through with a transplant, but I spent years researching and picked up a thing or two, so I feel I have words of advice to offer if not yet the experience of surgery itself. I nearly pulled the trigger and went for it two years ago, going as far as to save up the money and meet Dr Rahal at Heathrow airport for a consultation of sorts, but I decided to wait a while longer. Luckily my hair isn't too bad. The main thing (and I'm sure you can relate) is to have a solid and definite hairline. It doesn't matter if it's 'mature' (In fact a bit of recession is best, in my opinion) or even noticeably thinner than full density, as long as it's shaped well and has no gaps. I'm 29 now and I see plenty of mature hairlines in my age group which reinforce my opinion that it isn't necessary to 'go low'.

With realistic expectations I think there's a very good chance that you'll be happy with your results.