Itchy Scalp

Hey guys,

I have a problem in that I just can't seem to rid myself of this scalp itch. I have tried Nizoral 2% T-Gel H&S and a selenium sulfide based presciption shampoo and none of them seem to work. In fact othe SS and T-Gel made it worse.

I am thinking of giving Nioxin, Revita, and Revivogen a try but I was wondering if anyone has had success with controlling their itch with these products. I do have a bit of dandruff but it is more powder like than flakey if that makes sense. I also find that my forehead near the hairline in particular can seem oily and greasy. what would help with this?

I have heard of a few people saying that once they started propecia it got rid of their scalp itch as well. I have noticed that where my scalpi tiches, hair loss is at its greatest as well.

I guess I'm just looking for a few answers and or suggestions. Thanks!

mix glycerin with water works a treat

%100ml water and 2 tablespoons glycerin in an empty spray bottle shake well.

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

would it be wise to get bloodwork done? and what would i test for? I have read out of whack hormone levels or thyroid problems can be a cause of itchy scalp as well. any advice?

hdude46,

I had EXACTLY the same problems you are having right now. I did try many shampoos etc but they all didn't help to get rid of scalp itch. I know three things that works for me very well. Might not work for everyone.

1. Scalpicin - This takes care of the itch in minutes. But does not last very long. Will have to use it very often.

2. Propecia - Propecia definitely helps scalp itch. But it is not instant though. It takes few hours to show its effect on me. Sometimes even a day. Lasts for few days for me.

3. Chocolate - I am not kidding. I don't know why but drinking chocolate helps a lot (i dont use much sugar). Maybe because it helps in NO production?? I don't know. But I know that it has worked for me many time. I will have to use about two tea spoons of cocoa power for it to show its effect on me.

I do have oily forehead like you have. Propecia has sort of decreased it. But I am still not able to get rid of it completely.

There are many reasons for an itchy scalp. Generally speaking if you are having dandruff like symptoms this is usually the culprit. If the above measures do not work, I typically prescribe for my patients topical steroid shampoos , lotions or sprays. If you are also using generic rogaine, the propylene glycol can cause scalp irritation and itching. Scalpicin has I believe hydrocortisone 1% steroid and this can help. If it does not, you will likely need a stronger prescription strength. Your local dermatologist can help. You can also try t gel shampoo as well.

Dr. Meja,

Thanks for responding. Here is the thing, I have tried T-gel and it just made symptoms worse. I also have tried a topical steroid and while it does help, it barely lasts a day. Plus I heard that using that daily is not good at all for your scalp.

I have read more than a few people say propecia got rid of their itch so maybe I will try that. I was just wondering if it could be a thyroid or a skin condition. Dandruff really isnt that pronounced so I doubt its from that. Any other advice?

what sides did you experience and did they go away? Any regrowth you notice? Did you experience an initial shed? Has your existing hair gotten any stronger and or healthier? Thanks 3v

There were some sides initially. But its was not all that bad for me and it also seems to be going away. I started taking propecia about couple of months after my HT. I did experience some shed and I don't know if its because of the HT or propecia. The shed was massive...so its probably due to HT. I havent seen any regrowth with propecia. It sure has stopped hair loss significantly. I take only 0.5mg every other day. If I had taken larger doses, it might probably have led to growth.

I've been having this lately and do not know exactly what to make of it.

The itching sensation is accompanied by a very subtle pulling sensation. Again, do not know exactly what to make of it. It does occur where I am losing hair.

Does anyone know exactly what this is ?

• 2 months later...