Why do most people seem to be luke warm about their HT results????

I am still trying to decide whether to move forward with my procedure with one of the top docs on this site. I have had my consultation and his sample results look great. However, I can't help feeling that it seems many people who have had a HT (Even with top docs on this site) either regret it or more often just feel like their results are 'ok, no big deal'. I do not read many people who are truly ecstatic about their results. Maybe it's simply people forgetting about what they looked like without hair and expecting too much but I do not want to go through all of this if I am just going to feel 'OK" about it afterwords.

Thanks as Always

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I am still trying to decide whether to move forward with my procedure with one of the top docs on this site. I have had my consultation and his sample results look great. However, I can't help feeling that it seems many people who have had a HT (Even with top docs on this site) either regret it or more often just feel like their results are 'ok, no big deal'. I do not read many people who are truly ecstatic about their results. Maybe it's simply people forgetting about what they looked like without hair and expecting too much but I do not want to go through all of this if I am just going to feel 'OK" about it afterwords.

Thanks as Always

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

your obviously not looking hard enough icon_smile.gif

but you make a good point,you certainly do quickly forget how you used to look and start wanting more...and more.

this is what's known as hairgreed,do a search for it,theres a lot of it about! icon_biggrin.gif

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

I was once where you are now. I had my first consultations in the early 90's when I was in my early 20's with two docs who (thankfully) told me I was not yet a candidate and to come back in ten years. I spent the next 10 or so years not loving my hairline but having enough that it looked ok. During that time, my hair was always on my mind and I was always thinking about getting an HT. At the age of 35 or so, I had lost enough that there was nothing I could do with it anymore. I just buzzed it short and tried to get comfortable being "the bald guy." To make a long story short, I could never get comfortable with that look on me even though people would say positive things to me like, "you've got a good head shape for that look", etc. I really struggled with the HT decision and spent hours going over posts, results, opinions. I was on a roller coaster. One day I was definitely doing it and the next there was no way I was doing it. We've all seen the pics of the guys with the bird's nests on their heads. The deciding factor for me was that I knew I would never be happy with what I had, period! At the age of 40, I decided to just do it because I knew that in the hands of a good doctor, I wouldn't end up looking any worse than I already did and the chances were very good that I would see a significant imrovement. No matter what happened, I knew I wouldn't spend another minute wondering "what if?" Don't get me wrong, on the day of my procedure, minutes before the doc started cutting me up I almost bolted for the door! I'm glad I didn't. I'm only two months post-op so I don't know what my results will be, but I'm so glad it's behind me and now I look in the mirror each day in anticipation of good things to come instead of that old sinking feeling that all is lost. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I agree with balody--what a lot of folks need to do is take a pre-pic and place it next to a 1-year pic to truly appreciate the difference.

TakingthePlunge- we sound like we both went through the same roller coaster ride. Congrats on finally going through with it.

I think most of us are cautiously optimistic when we are going through this journey. But most people I have read and spoken to are ecstatic about their results. I, for the first time in a while, can say that I am no longer the bald guy. So am I happy, yes. Am I wanting more, yes. I still have six plus months of more growth and maturation and I love my new hair more and more each day.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Can't Decide,

You need to be 100% sure if you are going to go through with a HT. I was like you for over a year and finally after a lot of research and unhappiness over my appearance I decided to go for it. I'm only 2 weeks post op but so far everything is going as planned and i feel great about the whole thing.

I am an nw6 so I know even if I can get some decent coverage with this first procedure I will be much happier than I was before.

It is a long process and a life changing decision so just make sure you're ready for it. I don't agree that many people are unhappy with their results. From my reserach I have seen 95% happy people after their HT has fully matured. Good luck with everything.

Hey CD,

I was in a similar boat to you recently enough. After having a close call with a less than reputable doctor (who I thankfully didn't go to in the end), I was wondering if hair transplantation was all it was cracked up to be. Thanks to this forum and the patients I have spoken to, I have decided to go ahead with it. It's all down to researching and being confident and comfortable with the doctor you choose. If you choose a top doctor, from the testimony of patients I have spoken to, you will have no regrets in the end. I have chosen to go with Dr. Feller by the way. But you must do your own research and decide for yourself. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Can't decide:

Do lots of research. The more you do it, the more you will be more comfortable with your decision whether it is to go for HT or not.

Note that you can never be 100% sure of a decision and should you go for HT, there will always be risk of unsatisfactory result. However, the more informed you are, the lower will be that risk. Even though surgeries always have risks, and even though i am only at the 4 months mark, the odds that i will look better after HT is HIGHER than that I will look worse. And for that reason, i took the plunge.

As for the satisfaction of patients, i am not sure how you base your comment, but i do believe that most patients of Coalition doctors are happy with their result.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I think most people are luke warm at best about everything, ranging from their cars, to their spouse, to cosmetic surgery. Our society is full of "glass half empty" folks. On the other hand, there are a significant number of "glass almost full" folks out there who are excited about circumstances that others may find not so great, including cars, spouses and results of surgery.

Now speaking of surgery in particular, having done LOTS of cosmetic surgery...I have found that most people have very little memory of what they looked like preop. Even with noses, and double chins, in which results are seen in a matter of days, not months(like hair), I have had lots of patients come in for a 3 month check and initially be fairly perturbed that they didn't get "any change". Well for those of you who have been to my office, you will note that one door is painted blue, and everytime you walk in after a procedure, you get a picture taken BEFORE we even talk.

I can say that once I started doing that, back in 2001, and putting up before and after pics before starting any discussion, that that has eliminated 98% of patient dissatisfaction. Uniformly, whether it is hair, facelifts, or noses, I constantly hear 2 statements when I put up those pics. First, "wow, I don't remember looking like that" and "I see why you take those pictures Doc".

So, in summary, I think most folks need to be reminded of where they started and to compare that to a current result. That applies to men and women, hair and other surgeries, and probably to many other things in life too.

And, while a nice result can usually be obtained with hair restoration surgery, that doesn't necessarily correlate to a happy patient. We "try" to make sure that the patient has a good expectation of likely results prior to surgery and a good and frank doctor-patient communication is key; but even the best results by the best doctors don't guarantee happiness with outcome.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr Lindsey thanks for your informative input.

Can't decide - It is worthwhile for you to look at lots of before and after pics and honestly try to imagine if you would be happy with the results you are seeing. If you can find guys of similar age and characteristics to you that will obviously give you a better guideline. Just because someone was or was not pleased with their results may not effect whether you would or would not be pleased with certain results.

Having said that it is worth remembering the point Balody was making: People often want more and you may find yourself in that situation in 18 months if you go ahead with the surgery. As other people have said don't rush into it.

Dr. Lindsey and those who advocate objective, impartial photo-documentation will always hold the superior ground.

Luke-warm sentiments are just that...subjective emotions not objective scientific data gathering.

take care...

Thanks guys. That was very helpful. I have been researching HT for 10 years now. I must have looked at hundreds of photos and read thousands of posts, atricles, etc. The problem is the inherent inconsistency associated with HT. That is 3000 grafts on one patient may make a huge cosmetic difference while in another patent, it does not make much of an impact. In addition, the inconsistent size of scar, post op healing, etc. I know it has to do with hair characteristics, skin tone, personal physiology etc. I am apprehensive going for a HT because the results and other issues are just too unpredictable to give me the level of confidence that I need. While I have very realistic expectations, I do not want to go through a HT, recovery, cost, if the outcome will not make a significant difference. I know there are no guarantees in life but I guess I am looking for as close to one as possible. For the last ten years, I have gone from "I am definitely doing it" to "There is no way I would get a HT" and everything in between. All within a matter of 24 hours!!! I read a positive write up and pics and I feel like booking a procedure. Then, I read a negative piece of information, and I change my mind. This indecision is a major problem for me. I just don't know how to make a decision one way or another. I have tried to accept my hairless and I simply cannot.

By the way, I have recently had a consulation with a top doc who has told me that I am an ideal candidate for a HT. He is confident that with about 2800 grafts, he can achieve a considerable consmetic result.

Thanks as always

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

There are a lot of people who've had great results. But since they're satisfied with their results they don't usually hang out on HT forums.

I had one HT almost 4 years ago with Dr Wong and I'm still happy with my results. I have no plans to have another HT, 4411 grafts has given me a nice head of hair. I pop in to forums just to check my PMs, see what's new, and help out when I can.

I took lots of photos throughout the process, they really help me remember where I started and I recommend that everyone document their HT and share it with others. Photo documentation helps the patient and other potential HT candidates.

My sig has a link to my gallery.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

Hi Biscuit - not seen your pictures before, and just wanted to say "WOW!!"

Can't decide - you can see why some people, happy with such results, simply move on (with a big grin). It's great that some like Biscuit come back once in a while.

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

Originally posted by biscuit:

There are a lot of people who've had great results. But since they're satisfied with their results they don't usually hang out on HT forums.

I had one HT almost 4 years ago with Dr Wong and I'm still happy with my results. I have no plans to have another HT, 4411 grafts has given me a nice head of hair. I pop in to forums just to check my PMs, see what's new, and help out when I can.

I took lots of photos throughout the process, they really help me remember where I started and I recommend that everyone document their HT and share it with others. Photo documentation helps the patient and other potential HT candidates.

My sig has a link to my gallery.

Nice to see such an experienced poster around. What is great about Biscuit's results is he did it with 1 ht and no drugs if my memory is correct. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Hey Can't decide.

Do it when YOU are ready. We hair docs aren't going away. Make sure the doc you choose seems to have the same philosophy you have and want to work with.

I am a pretty frank guy at work and at home with my kids. Its my attitude towards life in general. But, some patients perceive that as gruff or even cocky. Its neither, I just call it like I see it so that I don't have to remember what I lied to you, or my kids, or my wife, etc. about.

On the other hand, some folks like doctors with a different approach and there are plenty of excellent docs who have a different (note that I am not saying better) personality.

Pick the one that you think you can deal well with. Its a big day in the chair, and you will be seeing that doc for followups too.

Good luck,

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

Hey Can't decide.

Do it when YOU are ready. We hair docs aren't going away. Make sure the doc you choose seems to have the same philosophy you have and want to work with.

I am a pretty frank guy at work and at home with my kids. Its my attitude towards life in general. But, some patients perceive that as gruff or even cocky. Its neither, I just call it like I see it so that I don't have to remember what I lied to you, or my kids, or my wife, etc. about.

On the other hand, some folks like doctors with a different approach and there are plenty of excellent docs who have a different (note that I am not saying better) personality.

Pick the one that you think you can deal well with. Its a big day in the chair, and you will be seeing that doc for followups too.

Good luck,

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

dr. Lindsey:

I like your frankness. Doctors should say it like it is to all patients. Enough about all those political bs.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

if you ask me , i am over the moon that i have some hair on my head then none, once you know what u look like with no hair, then have HT done and see your whole personality change, then thats the time you will realise how happy u r!! icon_smile.gif

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) Sept 1996

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com'>https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) February 1998

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

2475 grafts FUT Dr Mohammed Humayun Mohmand (Pakistan)

27th January 2009

http://www.hti.com.pk

3550 Total Grafts (3000 rear donor area & 400 from beard and 150 breast area) FUE & PRP Treatment with Dr Emrah Cinik (ISHRS), Istanbul, Turkey. 10th October 2017

http://www.emrahcinik.com/

My Blog & Hair loss website story:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1123