Laxity - How Can You Tell?

Hi All,

After a couple years of research and deliberation (and saving), I've decided to take the HT plunge: I'm scheduled with Dr. Hasson for 4000-4500 grafts in late July!

I've started doing laxity exercises, of course (as illustrated by Joe on the H&W website), but it feels like I'm not getting a ton of up-down movement during each repetition. Specifically, my hands at the top of the "up" motion are only about 1 inch higher than they are at the bottom of the "down" motion.

Does anyone know if this is good, bad, or otherwise? It seems like the scalp is a tad looser than it was a few weeks ago when I began the exercises in earnest, but I'd love to get some feedback about this!

Thanks in advance,

Sparse

Hi All,

After a couple years of research and deliberation (and saving), I've decided to take the HT plunge: I'm scheduled with Dr. Hasson for 4000-4500 grafts in late July!

I've started doing laxity exercises, of course (as illustrated by Joe on the H&W website), but it feels like I'm not getting a ton of up-down movement during each repetition. Specifically, my hands at the top of the "up" motion are only about 1 inch higher than they are at the bottom of the "down" motion.

Does anyone know if this is good, bad, or otherwise? It seems like the scalp is a tad looser than it was a few weeks ago when I began the exercises in earnest, but I'd love to get some feedback about this!

Thanks in advance,

Sparse

4500 and a tight scalp could possibly lead to a super wide scar.

Keep doing them as much as possible .

Im sure when you get there they will determine if your scalp will allow 4500 or possibly 3000 or so.

More then likely if you scalp is tight Hasson will take a strip across the entire back and sides of your head.

All you can do now is keep doing the exercises

Been doing the exercises every day for the last 2 months! I was told during one of the consults that if you can pinch a good amount of skin in the donor area then you most likely have good laxity.. does that sound accurate?

World Class HT-Dr. Ron Shapiro 6/29/2009 4792 FU Total Hairs-9731

Originally posted by Tos7581:

Been doing the exercises every day for the last 2 months! I was told during one of the consults that if you can pinch and good amount of skin in the areas then you most likely have good laxity.. does that sound accurate?

It certainly makes sense that if you can pinch lots of skin in the area then you have good laxity, but I have no idea what qualifies as "lots" of skin? When I pinch in the area I get a vertical bulge away from the scalp of less than 1/2 inch.

Also, how far (in inches) do your hands travel from the top of the upstroke to the bottom of the downstroke during your laxity exercises? For me, it's about an inch.

Is there a point where too much scalp exercising to increase the laxity becomes damaging? In other words, is there a potential unintended consequence?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Your doctor should've evaluated your laxity before surgery, i assume he did, your exercise are more of a precaution than a necessity, the peace of mind that you made all efforts to be ready is the main benefit of your stretches.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Hi Sparse

I know I'm new on here but have researched this issue for months as I was very concerned about it. I litterally searched every hair loss forum and found every single post on this issue. Jotronic made one post and I'm pretty sure he said that if you can move an inch that is very good laxity and 1/2 inch may not be so good (hope Jo will put me right if I've misquoted him). I also heard other guys say that if you can pinch 'any' skin then that is good laxity and they had been told this by surgeons(pinch at the back where the strip is and not at the sides where most people can pinch). I also heard some consultants say only a surgeon can determine this as there are so many variables. I don't remember that much about this and I've never be assessed on my laxity. However, litterally do a search on all the hair loss forums. Just do a subject search and type in the word 'laxity'. This word is very specific and you'll get a great idea from guys who have been asssessed

Originally posted by asasas:

Hi Sparse

I know I'm new on here but have researched this issue for months as I was very concerned about it. I litterally searched every hair loss forum and found every single post on this issue. Jotronic made one post and I'm pretty sure he said that if you can move an inch that is very good laxity and 1/2 inch may not be so good (hope Jo will put me right if I've misquoted him). I also heard other guys say that if you can pinch 'any' skin then that is good laxity and they had been told this by surgeons(pinch at the back where the strip is and not at the sides where most people can pinch). I also heard some consultants say only a surgeon can determine this as there are so many variables. I don't remember that much about this and I've never be assessed on my laxity. However, litterally do a search on all the hair loss forums. Just do a subject search and type in the word 'laxity'. This word is very specific and you'll get a great idea from guys who have been asssessed

Thanks, asasas. This is incredibly helpful.

Sparse,

I know you will really enjoy the procedure w/ H&W! They are great people and really have been great to me......

I did scalp exercises for two months before my procedure. I think that it helped a ton! Both w/ the amount of graphs and the closure of the cut.....

Time will tell on my results, but thus far I feel great about my choice of H&W!

Best of luck and shoot me an e-mail if I can ever answer any questions.

Originally posted by Business Teacher:

Sparse,

I know you will really enjoy the procedure w/ H&W! They are great people and really have been great to me......

I did scalp exercises for two months before my procedure. I think that it helped a ton! Both w/ the amount of graphs and the closure of the cut.....

Time will tell on my results, but thus far I feel great about my choice of H&W!

Best of luck and shoot me an e-mail if I can ever answer any questions.

Thanks so much! I'll be taking you up on the kind offer . . .