Do doctors charge for putting more grafts in?

I was not charged for extra grafts (a few hundred over estimated). depends on your doctor but definitely discuss it beforehand.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

i too was not charged for my last 275..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Our policy is that we make the best guess we can to get a strip with the right number of grafts. If I am more than 50 short, we will either go back for another cube of scalp tissue, or give the patient a small discount. If I am up to 200 over, we don't charge anymore. It is rare for us to be way off except in "as much as possible cases" where we take the biggest strip that I can safely remove, expecting to get a nice scar, and we use the entire strip. That is all clearly outlined preop.

I hate surprises as much as patients do.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by Rachmunas4life:

I wonder if it's more times than less that they put more grafts in? Can they determine how many grafts they took with a strip or are they just estimating?

I think they have to estimate. I dont see how they could be exact. As far as the extra grafts go I think it would be a very bad idea to waste them whether a client has to pay for them or not. Some doctors do implant all the extra grafts for free. Some do some extra grafts for free and the rest of the extra grafts you pay for.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I got an extra 100 grafts at no charge. However, if the doctor were to charge, I don't see any problem as he has to do more work.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I usually have a fixed fee price for a range of grafts. I give my patients a not to exceed price. Even if I put more grafts in above and beyond the range, there is no extra charge. SOme clinics charge by the graft. It is not unreasonable to understand all your finances ahead of time and ask these questions and findout if you will have to pay more for any grafts above 500. Most reputable clinics will always transplant the hair in excess of the planned amount. I have one clinic in my area that has told patients in the middle of surgery, Gee we got an exta 500 grafts, you can pay for these or we can throw them away. Know how your surgeon will deal with excess grafts above and beyond your plan. If it is on a per graft basis, then you should know what your potential maximum cost is so you will not be surprised.

I have heard exactly the same thing Dr. Mejia heard regarding a clinic down the street a ways charging a premium for extra grafts---or throwing them away.

If the doc is 500 grafts "off" his estimate, there is a problem. Occasionally we get more than we expect, up to 200 on one occasion that I recall. But 500 is a lot of hair.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians