Working out after hair transplant

Hey guys...I'm new to this forum and have just recently had a hair trasplant roughly 2 weeks ago....I'm also an avid weightlifter and I've heard/read many different theories on when, in what ways and how to work out after an HT. I started exercising again one week after my HT and have about every other day since then. I don't do anything that pulls my neck, really just bodyweight exercises like pushups, chinups, abs (no situps though) and lat pulldowns and isolated leg exercises like leg press, leg curls and things of that nature. I haven't noticed any pulling or tension in my donor area but I'm wondering if you guys think its ok for me to continue working out like this with it bein so soon after my HT. All advice is welcome! Thanks!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Hey guys...I'm new to this forum and have just recently had a hair trasplant roughly 2 weeks ago....I'm also an avid weightlifter and I've heard/read many different theories on when, in what ways and how to work out after an HT. I started exercising again one week after my HT and have about every other day since then. I don't do anything that pulls my neck, really just bodyweight exercises like pushups, chinups, abs (no situps though) and lat pulldowns and isolated leg exercises like leg press, leg curls and things of that nature. I haven't noticed any pulling or tension in my donor area but I'm wondering if you guys think its ok for me to continue working out like this with it bein so soon after my HT. All advice is welcome! Thanks!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

HairIsThere,

I am also an avid weight lifter and I had some of the same concerns. I went to a top doc and he stated that I could go back to my normal routine after 4 weeks. I started walking on a treadmill on week three and after week four I started lifting light weights. I resumed heavy lifting at about the 7 week mark. I have no visible stretching of my scar currently. Obviously if you feel any tension, stop the eexcercise immediately. That being said, you should follow your Drs post operative instructions to a T. Clint

Alright thanks for the feedback Clint! I think I'm fine in terms of not doing things that pulls my neck because I haven't felt any tension back in that area so far....its just when I work out I go pretty hard and I'm just hopin it's not too hard too quick. My doc said about 2 weeks and be careful of straining the donor area like with squats, deadlift, holding heavy DBs in my hands, things like that. My initial consult to get an HT was with Bosley (tho I did not get it done by Bosley) and one of the things I mentioned was when I could work out again....they said 1 week and made no mention at all of stretching the donor scar.....I found that somewhat odd

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

I am day 24 and have not done anything and I play lots of soccer and do weights.

I read lots of stuff and one month was my take on the subject, then light weights and lots of reps, heavy weights after 2/3 months.

As usual opinions vary.

If you spent the time and money on a HT, giving your body a break for a couple of weeks (even a month) will do no harm to your workouts.

I speak from experience as I am an avid weightlifter and enjoy basketball twice a week. It was hard, but it can be done and I actually made more gains from letting my body rest.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I agree with Eman, you spent $$ and time on this procedure, why risk it? I had a second procedure and am giving myself a month off, I lift weights moderately, run, and practice boxing at least 3 times a week, I was told by my doc I could resume all my normal activities within 2 weeks, but I feel better to play it safe, anyhow good luck to you and be safe.

Yeah I agree that breaks from working out are definitely good cuz it gives your body time to heal and things like that..but a month to me seems a little overkill..as long as your cautious i guess i dont see what it can hurt

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

I would think that some down time is in order, but after a couple of weeks you should be able to get back to working out. I wouldn't do any heavy weights for some time (1 1/2 months)...

If you feel a pull or tension its probably a good sign to back down....

Just my thoughts.

I agree with Eman too.. I am an avid weight lifter too and my doc advised me to resume my physical activities after 3 weeks but i am gonna resume it after a 4 weeks with first using really light weight and then followed by light weight for a couple of weeks and then finally to heavy weight.. So i am gonna take the heavy weight after 2 and a half or 3 months just to be on a safer side...

Javy.

Done done.. Check out my blog..

2785 grafts by Dr. Humayun Mohammad

My Hair Loss WebLog

Has anyone ever experienced some really bad stretching of the donor scar by working out too hard or doing too many of the "wrong" exercises and would like to share? And if so what exercises you did?

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Originally posted by HairIsThere:

Would yall say that bench (either barbell or dumbbell) pulls the neck region?

Hairisthere, I would say be careful which bench pressing, where your resting you're head on the bench, any slight movement of the body up or down the bench could put a force on the back of the head and incline defitely no. Dumbells for biceps, I wouldn't see a problem with as theres no direct force on the back of the head, but I'd still restrict it to low weights for the first couple of weeks that your getting back into it

One of my concerns I had was that, after about a month of doing scalp excersises while sitting watching the tv, they sort of became second nature to me. Since the op I have had a slight concern that I might at some stage start doing them again while relaxing and not thinking icon_eek.gif

I'm planning on having a HT this coming fall and I am an avid weightlifter / former competitive bodybuilder. I was worried about the fact that I wouldn't be able to workout for about a month after the procedure but if you maintain a fairly high protein diet (1 gram per pound of bodyweight) and supplement with about 20-25 BCAA's (branch chain amino acids) per day you'll more than likely maintain the muscle that you already have. Just fyi

Yeah I usually am able to eat enough grams of protein a day to get close to or equal my bodyweight..but I've noticed that now that I haven't been working out as often and intense as I did before my HT I have lost some of my appetite icon_frown.gif ....but I'm still tryin to eat as much as I can..I've been taking creatine for a while now and I know creatine has been discussed on this forum before and some believe it accelerates hair loss..I don't have any clue on how it could do that but does anyone else have a take on that?

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Is there any ideas on whether or not lat pulldowns would stretch the donor scar? I can't see it putting any tension back there since the resistance is "pulling up" instead of pulling down...anyways I was just going to see what you guys thought.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

s forum and have just recently had a hair trasplant roughly 2 weeks ago....I'm also an avid weightlifter and I've heard/read many different theories on when, in what ways and how to work out after an HT. I started exercising again one week after my HT and have about every other day since then. I don't do anything that pulls my neck, really just bodyweight exercises like pushups, chinups, abs (no situps though) and lat pulldowns and isolated leg exercises like leg press, leg curls and things of that nature. I haven't noticed any pulling or tension in my donor area but I'm wondering if you guys think its ok for me to continue working out like this with it bein so soon after my HT. All advice is welcome! Thanks!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

you should avoid your workout in the first week and then start it gradually that wull be beneficial.

I started weight lifting at month 2 (not very hard) and didn't really feel my scar.

Now 3 months+1week and i started with heavy weight lifting.

The only time i felt something was in the 2month mark doing crunches, so i stopped.

Best thing is to ask YOUR doc what they prefer. I seem to be a lot more liberal in telling guys they can exercise asap. So far it hasn't been a problem as long as they are not stretching the scar. Part of it may be luck, part our 2 layer suture, and part is we do a longer skinnier flap. So ask your doc, you may be surprised that you can resume earlier than you expect.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Alright thanks doc! Yeah I had a 2 layer suture done and the width of my strip was only 1.2 cm....maybe that's why my doc said just 2 weeks that I needed to hold off on weights (other than exercises that directly pull my neck).

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily