Which is better for restoring some slight temple recession?

Hi everyone, I'd like your opinion on which method is most ideal for someone (i.e. me) that has overall thinning and some slight recession in the temple areas. Maybe 1 inch on both sides.

I've read about FUE and it seems as though that is the least invasive and most undetectable. What would you recommend for me? I can post pictures if you'd like.

Some more info on me...

I had a pretty thick head of hair until about 25 when I took accutane for my acne. After accutane, my hair began falling out rapidly all over and started receeding in my temples for about 6 months. Then the thinning slowed a bit. Over the past 3 years it's slowly thinned and recessed to the point I am at now.

What other info do you guys need to give me a good opinion on what you would do, and know that it definitely is on my mind every single day and bugs me. I believe I would be much happier if I could restore my pre-accutane hairline, but will admit I'm wary of the uncommon problems and/or a poor result that would leave me worse off than I am now.

Would appreciate your sincere advice. Thanks.

Pics would be helpful. Are you on Finasteride? That's always a good start.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I had a pretty thick head of hair until about 25 when I took accutane for my acne. After accutane, my hair began falling out rapidly all over and started receeding in my temples for about 6 months.

I remember reading about Accutane being suspect as some cause of hairloss. However, I remember reading that someone had to consume vast quantities of Retin-A in order to have any negative effects.

Please post some pics, so that posters can see what it (your hairloss) looks like.

take care...

I've taken accutane 3 times (yes, it's a lot), and the last time I took it (6 months ago), there was a disclaimer that there could be hair shedding. I spoke with my dermatologist about this since it was a "new" side effect, and he said after being off accutane hair should come back.

What I suspect here is that it is "possible" that accutane probably kick started your hair loss.

Again, I started Accutane when I was 16 and 21, and I had a full head of hair until age 24, so I personally dont think accutane is the direct reason for this.

I want to warn you and I'm sure seasoned dermatologist can agree with me (since I am such and expert on the drug now, haha)

BE VERY CAREFUL when doing any HT after being on accutane. Accutane due to causing your oil glands to stop producing...oil, there is a high chance that if you get "cut" or have surgery, the scar will not heal correctly

if you do FUT, be very careful with the donor strip scar, but also be very careful with the recipient area, the small incisions may not heal correctly.

if you do FUE, it'll be the same situation as FUT

I just got off accutane, so I wont be getting any major surgery that requires "cutting" for at least 8-12 months

ps: there are those that say that accutane did not cause any abnormal healing, but I personally would NOT take a chance

Slight temple recession might seem like a big deal to you at the moment but it is totally natural and there are plenty of guys on here who wish that was the worst hair problem they faced.

If you go ahead with surgery then you will be tied in to needing more surgery as the hair loss continues and there may be phases where it looks unnatural (which is much worse than natural hair loss) as hair recedes behind the transplanted hair. It is a huge emotional (and financial) life-long committment if you do go ahead.

Hey, ok, to answer some questions:

1. I stopped accutane treatment a long time ago. Roughly 4 years ago.

2. I am not on finasteride, as I've heard of lots of negative side effects and after dealing with the side effects from accutane, they scare me.

3. Is there a good way to guestimate how far hair will likely receed? The reason I ask is, it seems to me like a strong hairline with some slight thin spots behind it would be better than a receeding hairline. What am I missing here?

4. I am thinking that in 5 years time, we may have a solution to cloning hair, in which case, we'd have an unlimited donor supply, right?

Thanks much

I am thinking that in 5 years time, we may have a solution to cloning hair, in which case, we'd have an unlimited donor supply, right?

People have been saying 5 years for at least... 5 years now... Obviously this would solve most hair loss problems for people who could afford it but it would be most unwise to bank on an uncertain future outcome.

The reason I ask is, it seems to me like a strong hairline with some slight thin spots behind it would be better than a receeding hairline. What am I missing here?

If you look at pictures of the different levels of hair loss in the Norwood pattern you will see that hair loss follows identifiable patterns. If you put in strong temples then the hair behind the temples dissappears then it will not conform to any natural hair loss pattern and people will notice. This is especially likely to be a problem if you are not taking finasteride.

The hairline is a little different as some men are naturally left with a tuft front and centre which is an island but you were asking about temples.

I do hope you end up with a satisfactory situation but I just want to make sure you do not have unrealistic expectations as this is a recipe for disappointment.

Regardless of the situation, for a virgin scalp, any minor work is 100% perfect for FUE---there is simply no reason to use another method, with the exception of cost.

The idea is simple: less invasive, less healing time, ability to choose necessary grafts to target the hairline, and behind.

This is not to be taken as an anti-strip post--I am 100% behind strip---but for these type of issues, FUE is perfect.

Whether notsosure is a candidate for any HT is another issue altogether.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.