Starting a new Regimen... Opinions???

A B

Hey guys- I first noticed I was thining about two years ago, @ 22, although I suspect that it has been going on since I was about 18 or 19. I didnt notice until the loss was pretty significant, because my hair was so thick as a teenager, and I dyed it a lot which is what I attributed the loss to.

So at 22, when I finally accepted what was happening, I was BEYOND crushed. I had been in denial for a few monthes because I knew what was going to happen if I let myself accept the reality of the situation - I had a total nervous breakdown. I probably didnt leave the house for a few weeks, seriously. What followed this was severe depression, quite litterally.

I started on Rogain in the month following, and experienced the initial shedding, which made things worse (mentally speaking). Several monthes later, I started on Propecia and quit Rogain (just as it probably started to work, but what can I say, I got discourged).

I never really experienced anything significant with Propecia, honestly. Maybe it slowed down the loss that would have happened anyway. My dermatologist said that it's impossible to know where you'd be without it, so you really odnt know if it ever worked or not. In either case, about 14monthes in, I started to suffer the "side effects". I dealt with it, hoping it would get better on it's own. The end of July, my urologist suggested I stop taking it. I did, and I dont feel comfortable going back on it.

I had a consultation with Dr. Feller who seemed like world-class HT doctor. Very nice guy, very down to Earth. He said I'm not ready for a HT, and that he noticed some difused thinning but overall my hair seemed strong and healthy. He said other Dr's may operate on me to "thicken up" my hair, but they are frauds. His opinion is that I am growing into my "adult hairline" and I may never need a HT. But on the same token, he noted that his "crystal ball was in the shop" and you never know what genetics have in store for you. He then showed me his own transplant, which, honestly, I wasnt crazy about ... but he also said that he wasnt done, and was going to get the back filled in. He said he wasnt on anything else (propecia, rogain, etc), and you dont need to be (contrary to a LOT of opinions in this forum). Finally, he said I have good donor hair for when or if the time comes.

I'm not convinced that this is just my "adult hair line" as I've seen the degeration over the last two years.

So, as of right now I'm doing 5% Kirkland Brand Minoxidil (2x daily), Revivogen (1x daily), Nioxin Actives Cleanser, Scalp Therapy and Cytonutrient, Nizoral 1% (2-3 times a week), and MSM (daily.... Im not too sure about the hair benefits, but I have joint problems too, so maybe I can kill two birds).

As of today, I am dumping the Revivogen.. putting on THREE topicals daily is just too much, I would dump Revivogen over Minoxidil, obviously.

Here is my new regimin, Please let me know what you all think!

Kirkland Minoxidil (1x daily, @ morning)

Xandrox 5% (1x daily, @ night, available @ minoxidil.com)

Spironolactone lotion 5% (1x daily, @ night, available @ minoxidil.com)

Hairmax Lasercomb (3x weekly, I just bought this, it hasnt even arrived yet)

Nizoral 1% (man, I bought the 1% totally accidently! I'll switch to 2% when I'm done with it, 3x weekly)

Nioxin Products Daily

MSM (1 teaspoon daily)

---

So, what do you guys think? Especially on the Dr. Lee's products (the Xandrox, and the Spiro)? I'm hoping the combination of the azelaic acid in the Xandrox, and the Spiro are enough to block the DHT and the Lasercomb, minixodil, and Nizoral can stimulate growth/regrowth. Of course, Im skeptical.

Any opinions would be greatly appriciated !

A

Hey guys- I first noticed I was thining about two years ago, @ 22, although I suspect that it has been going on since I was about 18 or 19. I didnt notice until the loss was pretty significant, because my hair was so thick as a teenager, and I dyed it a lot which is what I attributed the loss to.

So at 22, when I finally accepted what was happening, I was BEYOND crushed. I had been in denial for a few monthes because I knew what was going to happen if I let myself accept the reality of the situation - I had a total nervous breakdown. I probably didnt leave the house for a few weeks, seriously. What followed this was severe depression, quite litterally.

I started on Rogain in the month following, and experienced the initial shedding, which made things worse (mentally speaking). Several monthes later, I started on Propecia and quit Rogain (just as it probably started to work, but what can I say, I got discourged).

I never really experienced anything significant with Propecia, honestly. Maybe it slowed down the loss that would have happened anyway. My dermatologist said that it's impossible to know where you'd be without it, so you really odnt know if it ever worked or not. In either case, about 14monthes in, I started to suffer the "side effects". I dealt with it, hoping it would get better on it's own. The end of July, my urologist suggested I stop taking it. I did, and I dont feel comfortable going back on it.

I had a consultation with Dr. Feller who seemed like world-class HT doctor. Very nice guy, very down to Earth. He said I'm not ready for a HT, and that he noticed some difused thinning but overall my hair seemed strong and healthy. He said other Dr's may operate on me to "thicken up" my hair, but they are frauds. His opinion is that I am growing into my "adult hairline" and I may never need a HT. But on the same token, he noted that his "crystal ball was in the shop" and you never know what genetics have in store for you. He then showed me his own transplant, which, honestly, I wasnt crazy about ... but he also said that he wasnt done, and was going to get the back filled in. He said he wasnt on anything else (propecia, rogain, etc), and you dont need to be (contrary to a LOT of opinions in this forum). Finally, he said I have good donor hair for when or if the time comes.

I'm not convinced that this is just my "adult hair line" as I've seen the degeration over the last two years.

So, as of right now I'm doing 5% Kirkland Brand Minoxidil (2x daily), Revivogen (1x daily), Nioxin Actives Cleanser, Scalp Therapy and Cytonutrient, Nizoral 1% (2-3 times a week), and MSM (daily.... Im not too sure about the hair benefits, but I have joint problems too, so maybe I can kill two birds).

As of today, I am dumping the Revivogen.. putting on THREE topicals daily is just too much, I would dump Revivogen over Minoxidil, obviously.

Here is my new regimin, Please let me know what you all think!

Kirkland Minoxidil (1x daily, @ morning)

Xandrox 5% (1x daily, @ night, available @ minoxidil.com)

Spironolactone lotion 5% (1x daily, @ night, available @ minoxidil.com)

Hairmax Lasercomb (3x weekly, I just bought this, it hasnt even arrived yet)

Nizoral 1% (man, I bought the 1% totally accidently! I'll switch to 2% when I'm done with it, 3x weekly)

Nioxin Products Daily

MSM (1 teaspoon daily)

---

So, what do you guys think? Especially on the Dr. Lee's products (the Xandrox, and the Spiro)? I'm hoping the combination of the azelaic acid in the Xandrox, and the Spiro are enough to block the DHT and the Lasercomb, minixodil, and Nizoral can stimulate growth/regrowth. Of course, Im skeptical.

Any opinions would be greatly appriciated !

A

In my opinion, a DHT blocker like Propecia or Avodart is the cornerstone of a regimine. Everything else is secondary to that.

Everyone is different, so maybe that explains it, but ususally if someone is unlucky enough to have sexual side effects from Propecia, they won't take over a year to first show up.

There's evidence that as little as .25 mg of Propecia (a quarter tab of propecia... not proscar by the way) is effective. I might have recommended cutting way back on your dose, or taking it every other day (or both) rather than quitting completely.

My 2 cents...

Sorry to read about the side effects, actually you're one of the few here to experience them. Could you be more specific though? What was the problem? In any case, you were lucky not to experience any shedding after 14 months of use.

Re: your hair lotions, basically you use everything I would NOT use so I can't really comment. I sure hope the hassle of taking all that will be worth it. Remember that once you start on Minoxidil, there's no turning back!

MSM works well for me, and crystals are definitely the best way to take it. Thanks again to Futzyhead for being the 1st to mention MSM on this site and others.

As for the lasercomb, well don't get me started icon_rolleyes.gif

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Hairworthy- I believe I did experience shedding after I discontinued use of the Propecia.. I figured I basicly lost the hair I would have anyway if I had never taken Propecia to begin with... is that true, or does stopping Propecia induce even MORE shedding (like stopping minoxidil) ?

Essentially, what I'm trying to do is put off having a HT for as long as I can. I know the topicals arent going to "save" my hair, and argueabally neither would Propecia. The DR I had a consultation with said that with a HT, I never have to take Propecia anyway, and I have no problem every so often getting a "touch up".

As far as experiencing Propecia's side effects, I agree I'm in the minority, however, I'm not alone... I've read on this site, and a few others, people who have also experienced side effects - it's not as rare as you'd think.

I have also read that people, like myself, have experienced said effects over a year into their treatment.

Finally, I've only been off of Propecia for about six monthes... if I get back on, albeit a recuced dosage, think it would be possible to get back the hair I've shedded in my off time ?

A B

Looks like your covering all the basis. I do know much about Spiro or Xandrox-- but when it first came out I heard positive news around both of them, but last couple of year I havent heard anything positive or negative. So it might work in some, might not in others-- just like not all meds work for everyone.

But I like your regiment, and your doing everything you can do to prevent/slow down the process. I would strongly urge you to take Propecia and if you have side effects cut back to every other day like some doctors recommend. This is the only thing I would add and stay on. Make sure your getting your daily intake of essential fatty acids which are found in fish etc. If your dieting or taking in a lot of protein-- you can buy fatty acid vitamins to subsitute. Make sure your also taking a multi vitiamin with zinc, saw pallmetto, B6, vitE and vitC in it--- all promote healthy cell generation.

• 5 weeks later...