Keeps vs hims vs xyon

Hello Everyone,

i am looking into using topical finasteride, after using minoxidil foam for years.  I saw Keeps, Hims, andXyon were well known providers.  It seem slike i will need a prescription from them.  My question is which of these providers would you say is best for topical finasteride for hair loss?  Anyone able to share their thoughts and experiences?  Thank you in advance!

as topical fin goes systemic, i think the cheapest option would be to get a script for generic fin, and see if you can tolerate oral fin. if you can tolerate it, aka be side effect free, then i would consider topicals. that would be the most cost effective approach before you buy more expensive topicals. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

thanks for the response.  I have been on oral finasteride for several years on and off.   and didnt have issues with the generic finasteride if the pills were cut.  When i first took propecia i felt a little odd ao went the generic route.  In fact, I was on a topical finasteride for a short time, but haD stopped that for a few years.   Has there been many issues with topical finasteride?

Edited by Billdet6

7 hours ago, Billdet6 said:

Hi there,

thanks for the response.  I have been on oral finasteride for several years on and off.   and didnt have issues with the generic finasteride if the pills were cut.  When i first took propecia i felt a little odd ao went the generic route.  In fact, I was on a topical finasteride for a short time, but haD stopped that for a few years.   Has there been many issues with topical finasteride?

in that case, you can go with any of the options listed. all the best.

anagenica.com does not require a prescription. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

If you can take oral finasteride without side effects, keep using the oral version, its more effective. I have only tried one topical (Xyon). For me, it has worked really well. It's more expensive than the others, but that's because it has a higher concentration of finasteride and dutasteride. If you were worried about side effects, I would recommend topical dutasteride. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks everyone for your reply.  The propecia and proscar froma few years ago I had mixed results, better with generic proscar cut. When I was on topical finasteride, it was before the hims and keeps existed, and fromm out of the US, but I felt it did a good for me.  The fear is always going systemic ☹️ i will look into dustateride if the topical finasteride has side effects.  I am going to try to really follow if there are side effects so keeping my fingers crossed!

• Valued Contributor

@Billdet6 I would take a 'try as you go' approach. If say oral finasteride gives you side effects then take a micro dose approach (ie 1mg EOD). If you still experience side effects then lower the dosage to say 0.5mg or 0.25mg EOD. If this still gives you side effects then try topical finasteride. If the topical dose is too high then you could try lowering the topical dose. This is why it is always best to do this with a good dermatologist and not via a bro science approach as everyone is different. I would also have a wash out period between doses so that you are starting from baseline again and not with any build up of finasteride still in your system. This is a time consuming approach but well worth it so that at the end of the day you will know that you can rule one drug out completely and then look at the next treatment option. Too often people throw the baby out with the bath water before exhausting one drug completely as a treatment modality. Everything in regards to hair restoration seems to require patience for optimum results. All the best!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 3:06 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

If you can take oral finasteride without side effects, keep using the oral version, its more effective. I have only tried one topical (Xyon). For me, it has worked really well. It's more expensive than the others, but that's because it has a higher concentration of finasteride and dutasteride. If you were worried about side effects, I would recommend topical dutasteride. 

Does the efficacy matter where you get oral finasteride? I get mine from Kaiser. I heard it doesn’t matter where you get minoxidil tho. Just curious 

Edited by Smacias15

Thanks for all your insights everyone.  I just wanted to update that after speaking tO my Dr, we decided to not go back on oral finasteride due to past side effects.  I went with keeps topical finasteride after i suggested it.  I hope i dont have side effects but lets see.  I have it used it once Wednesday, and already feel my libido down.  Is this sound like its in my head?  Isnt this too soon to have aide effects?  I plan to apply again today so wish me luck. 🍀