Advice on flying back the night of 2 day surgery

Hey all,

flying in to Delhi on Thursday late night. Surgery scheduled on Friday and Saturday, and I fly out Sunday 2am via business class. 

I know it’s ideal to wait a week, unfortunately, my job is demanding. Can’t take that many days off. I read conflicting data online, so thought I’d ask in here. 

I know the concern is hitting the head, but I was hoping flying business class would make it easier to do so. 

It’s a 9 hr flight, with a 2 hour layover and then an 8 hr flight. 

TIA!

Follow my Hair Transplant experience with Eugenix!

Nov 16, 2022

• Valued Contributor

What is the question, mate? If you're asking whether business class is better than economy in terms of mitigating any head bumping risks... Possibly. I wouldn't personally want to spend any significant amount of money extra to sit in a different seat. What I would recommend is picking a window seat (less likely to have any overhead luggage mishaps or have people brushing past you down the aisles!) and just being very mindful.

Normally a little more time both before and after surgery is appreciated by the patient after long flights and changes in timezone.

Especially in case of any potential delays that can add further stress pre surgery to an already anxious time and we would always encourage patients to try to get a good nights rest prior to surgery in preparation for the long days. If a patient is sleep deprived, generally stress and anxiety levels can be higher.

Personally I would not want to take a 2am flight the morning after surgery. Without knowing anything regarding your surgery, graft count etc. being over 2 days would suggest it is quite a significant graft count and after 2 long surgery days, you will feel like you will need some rest especially after the initial flight just a few days prior.

Why a full week wouldn't be necessary, in most cases at least one full nights sleep without any stress of departure times would be appreciated, especially considering the long haul nature of your return journey.

All the best.

• Like 2

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Valued Contributor
12 hours ago, BaldingEagle1 said:

Hey all,

flying in to Delhi on Thursday late night. Surgery scheduled on Friday and Saturday, and I fly out Sunday 2am via business class. 

I know it’s ideal to wait a week, unfortunately, my job is demanding. Can’t take that many days off. I read conflicting data online, so thought I’d ask in here. 

I know the concern is hitting the head, but I was hoping flying business class would make it easier to do so. 

It’s a 9 hr flight, with a 2 hour layover and then an 8 hr flight. 

TIA!

It’s not ideal but it can be done. I had to fly home the day after six straight days of surgery. Remember to keep spraying the grafts during the return flight and follow all of your surgeon’s immediate post op instructions. Wear a good neck pillow. If you do this you will be fine. 

And maybe get on the plane last when everyone is settled and then wait for everyone else get off first to minimise risk of a bang to head. Good luck 👍 

Since this is your second surgery you are well aware of post op. Just keep spraying the saline and wear a loose bandana. Get a good neck pillow and I think  you will be fine.

It's going to be a hectic return journey so be careful

I was glad i waited 3 full days to fly back out, it felt like i’d got past the worst of it. I had a long trip home. 

This isn’t necessary based on multiple examples though, you’ll be fine mate!