How much of Cuoto's results are due to the insane hair per graft average in many Spanish patients?

Posted (edited)

Looking through his videos, I've seen several patients with ridiculously high hair per graft rates approaching 3. I've seen multiple with 2.7 and one (might have been Dr. Pinto) with 2.9.

These guys get 14-15k hairs from just 5k grafts that also have high caliber. Which would be the equivalent of 20k hair in terms of coverage/density for someone with an average hair caliber.

I still think Cuoto/Pinto etc. are exceptional surgeons, just wondering how much of a factor this is. Seems like that part of the world has the best hair characteristics for transplants by far.

Edited by TakeAction

• Administrators

Hair characteristics play a part, but Dr. Couto is legit for any patient.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

A strong starting point is obviously crucial for the final result.

But I’ve seen enough screw ups for patients with a strong starting point in cheap hairmills.

Posted (edited)

This is a claim I've seen repeated in hair loss fora the last few years, but I'm not aware of any scientific study that shows Iberian patients having superior hair quality compared to other European ethnic groups or compared to other Mediterranean populations. There are better and worse hair transplant candidates among any ethnic group, so if a certain surgeon is biased towards accepting candidates with good hair characteristics they can do that in any country. It's not like every balding guy with northern European ancestry has the same potential for a successful HT. Besides, Couto, Lorenzo, Freitas, Ferreira, Pinto, etc have been operating on non-Iberian patients for years now so I'd imagine if their results with non-Iberians were sub-par we'd have heard something by now, right?

Edited by nasplexa

2 hours ago, Otis james said:

I had surgery with pinto and had a pathetic 2.0 hairs per graft!! Fingers crossed it all works out. Does it make much of a difference? 

Did Dr. Pinto tell you anything about your hairs per graft ratio and your hair thickness/caliber? Any specific observations?

10 hours ago, nasplexa said:

Did Dr. Pinto tell you anything about your hairs per graft ratio and your hair thickness/caliber? Any specific observations?

I didn’t geek out that much but he said I have very fine hair. Said he transplanted at 68 hair per cm2. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

so far, it looks good for 4 months. Will be interesting to see if I need more adding…

IMG_1180.jpeg

IMG_1181.jpeg

IMG_1162.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1