Need help understanding if I will be happy with 2nd upcoming transplant ?

Here is my situation I need help with…

I am in my mid late 20s. I have been diffuse thinning since my early 20s.

In 2022 I was around a Norwood 5/6, my hairline+temples were gone and had really little density in the midscalp area.

I had a FUT transplant in 2022, 2500 to the hairline, temples and slightly back then hairline which covered the frontal third. I would say that transplant was successful, however I had one side of my hairline corner not grow well (you will see in picture).

I wanted to get a 2nd FUT to fill in (add density) to the hairline corner and add density to my diffuse thinning in the midscalp. I found a reputable surgeon in the USA near where I live who agreed that I can get an estimated 2000 grafts for my second procedure. 1000 grafts to beef up the hairline and fix the corner and the other thousand grafts going behind the hairline to midscalp area.

I was scheduled farther out with this surgeon but they had sooner availability recently which was is rare for them based on reading posts from other patients on these sites.

I have attached some pictures of my hairless and wanted to know opinions here of whether 2000 grafts (or close to it) would give me good density that I would be happy with.

I am having a hard time understanding what to expect. My surgeon says I would have very good density in my midscalp since I have lots of existing hair.

Also I wanted to add I have been on 0.5 DUT and 2.5/5mg minoxdill oral for 2 years. I used to do topicals but due to risk with pets I take oral. My current hair has thickened and improved with medication especially my crown but the meds are not helping the midscalp diffuse thinning.

I am wanting a youthful appearance and wear my hair somewhat long as in the pictures. I guess my ask here is will I have good density and most likely be happy with my result if I get close to 2000 grafts, I would also like to know opinions about how many grafts all of you think I need.

Also I did want to mention I understand the risk of shock loss, I am wanting to proceed and plan to keep taking medication.

Thank you I appreciate it.

20240427_200350.jpg

20240427_200144.jpg

20240427_200213.jpg

20240427_200105.jpg

20240427_200217.jpg

20240427_200156.jpg

Edited by sim9

• Valued Contributor
Posted (edited)

In my opinion I think it’s best to work front to back. What does your hairline look like when you style it? If you can camouflage this I would try and hold off on using those precious grafts for a while. If you do have surgery going by your pics I suggest filling any disconnect between your lateral humps. This is again just my opinion and others I’m sure will chime in. All the best! 

Edited by Gatsby

50 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

In my opinion I think it’s best to work front to back. What does your hairline look like when you style it? If you can camouflage this I would try and hold off on using those precious grafts for a while. If you do have surgery going by your pics I suggest filling any disconnect between your lateral humps. This is again just my opinion and others I’m sure will chime in. All the best! 

My hairline corner is exposed and I can't cover/conceal it. I gave a thought about waiting on the transplant but I decided that if I was to wait and use the grafts in the future, I would most likely be getting the grafts in the same locations in the future (i think atleast). I appreciate the advice and I do have loss/thinning at the lateral humps. I will get grafts there, I didn't think of that much before, I will mention it to the surgeon if I proceed.

Thank you.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, sim9 said:

I wanted to get a 2nd FUT to fill in (add density) to the hairline corner and add density to my diffuse thinning in the midscalp. I found a reputable surgeon in the USA near where I live who agreed that I can get an estimated 2000 grafts for my second procedure. 1000 grafts to beef up the hairline and fix the corner and the other thousand grafts going behind the hairline to midscalp area.

After looking at your pictures, the above section I quoted sounds like what I would want to do if it were me. Bulk up the front with 1000 grafts and then spread another 1000 grafts throughout the midscalp to add some density all through there.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 4/28/2024 at 10:00 AM, Al - Moderator said:

After looking at your pictures, the above section I quoted sounds like what I would want to do if it were me. Bulk up the front with 1000 grafts and then spread another 1000 grafts throughout the midscalp to add some density all through there.

Thank you. Just to be sure, you think I would have good density in the midscalp region with around 1000 grafts ? I was having a difficult time understanding what the end result would look like as I couldn't find many other people with a hairloss pattern and transplant like I am mentioning.

I’d suggest uploading better photos mate. Clear shots from the front and sides with brushed back hair. More of a Birds Eye view of the top of your head. Perhaps share the photos you provided to the surgeon. 
2500grafts to the frontal third, the yield does not appear that good… so I think 1000 to the mid scalp in your case would not be suffice.. 

Based on your current condition you are destined for to be high on the norwood scale. You’re crown is already thinned a lot also, you need to be careful here… 

Also you need to have your donor assessed under magnification as you’ve already had previous surgery. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy1991 said:

I’d suggest uploading better photos mate. Clear shots from the front and sides with brushed back hair. More of a Birds Eye view of the top of your head. Perhaps share the photos you provided to the surgeon. 
2500grafts to the frontal third, the yield does not appear that good… so I think 1000 to the mid scalp in your case would not be suffice.. 

Based on your current condition you are destined for to be high on the norwood scale. You’re crown is already thinned a lot also, you need to be careful here… 

Also you need to have your donor assessed under magnification as you’ve already had previous surgery. 

I appreciate the reply, I made a new thread as I did not have many replies on this thread. I uploaded new pictures there. thank you.

I had my donor looked at, I was told I could use a scar reduction in future but I could have this 2nd fut before doing that.

Edited by sim9