No Finasteride or medications

Hi everybody , I know I'm playing with fire, however I'm set that I'm not wanting to take finasteride thats for sure I've seen quite a few cases with insane results with no meds.

@Stewie how long will my hair transplanted hair last ? With nothing

Im having surgery with Dr Arika Bansal in 2weeks.

is there anything else I can take other than finasteride or hormone messing around stuff?

1 hour ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

you cant generally answer that because everyone is genetically destinied to end up at an individually norwood level at a certain age and which a certain percentage of donor thinning

Completely agree, every individual is different. In my case back in 2017-18 when I was around 22-23 years of age that time my progression of baldness was at peak. Over the years it has slowed down. So even if I don't take medications for few months, I think it'll cause any harm. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dba said:

Hi everybody , I know I'm playing with fire, however I'm set that I'm not wanting to take finasteride thats for sure I've seen quite a few cases with insane results with no meds.

is there anything else I can take other than finasteride or hormone messing around stuff?

If you tell that to Eugenix they will book you a return ticket themselves. 

Your donor is also susceptible to baldness. So they take out grafts from the donor and give you scarring, then there is baldness in the donor and the scars start to show, what are you going to do then ? 

Its a tough one, I choose not to carry on with Fin as my baldness stabilised to full NW6 by 23, started aggressively at 17, so when I had my first HT in 2021 up till the latest this year, I have had no worries in the back of my mind that my hair will get worse, I am 46 now and when I look at the family history and my dad etc, their level of baldness stopped at the same NW6 pattern

So if you are unsure where yours might end and depending on age it might be worth considering and trying it out if you dont get sides then it wont be the end of the world as its a cheap generic drug nowadays? Last thing you want is to be chasing baldness with HT's.

Worth considering, I was the same, but I took it for 2 years with no sides and no helping from it either, and I choose to bin it off because of the above and I truly believe I don't need it, but many on the forum take it for the just in case reasons, and also some seem to be super responders and even grow hair back?!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stewie said:

Its a tough one, I choose not to carry on with Fin as my baldness stabilised to full NW6 by 23, started aggressively at 17, so when I had my first HT in 2021 up till the latest this year, I have had no worries in the back of my mind that my hair will get worse, I am 46 now and when I look at the family history and my dad etc, their level of baldness stopped at the same NW6 pattern

So if you are unsure where yours might end and depending on age it might be worth considering and trying it out if you dont get sides then it wont be the end of the world as its a cheap generic drug nowadays? Last thing you want is to be chasing baldness with HT's.

Worth considering, I was the same, but I took it for 2 years with no sides and no helping from it either, and I choose to bin it off because of the above and I truly believe I don't need it, but many on the forum take it for the just in case reasons, and also some seem to be super responders and even grow hair back?!

So even the donor being put on my scalp will just go bald? (That's if it is dht that's doing it... maybe I could have a test done to see if I have high dht levels?)

I'm 38 nw7 almost I'm sure it's stabilised

It is hard to say. Look at Rafael Nadal for example. He had a large transplant and his hair looked great, but thinned over time without finasteride.

It all depends on your individual DHT susceptibility and other factors of your scalp, blood flow, fibrosis, etc.

Finasteride or dutasteride are an extra insurance policy for your transplant. You may not need it, but it is good to have. 

28 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

It is hard to say. Look at Rafael Nadal for example. He had a large transplant and his hair looked great, but thinned over time without finasteride.

It all depends on your individual DHT susceptibility and other factors of your scalp, blood flow, fibrosis, etc.

Finasteride or dutasteride are an extra insurance policy for your transplant. You may not need it, but it is good to have. 

@asterix0 thank you mate

Is there anything else I can take that won't lower sexdrive n all that?

1 hour ago, bigmistake said:

If you tell that to Eugenix they will book you a return ticket themselves. 

Your donor is also susceptible to baldness. So they take out grafts from the donor and give you scarring, then there is baldness in the donor and the scars start to show, what are you going to do then ? 

@bigmistake how bad n where would the scarring come up to?

Thank you by the way 

2 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

you cant generally answer that because everyone is genetically destinied to end up at an individually norwood level at a certain age and which a certain percentage of donor thinning

Completely understand

I'm meaning like... if the DHT did mess with my HT hair ... then how long after will it take to loose it all or atleast shed?

Will it be a slow process just hoe balding over the years is a slow process n not instaneous shed over night... if you get me ?

2 hours ago, Shadman said:

Completely agree, every individual is different. In my case back in 2017-18 when I was around 22-23 years of age that time my progression of baldness was at peak. Over the years it has slowed down. So even if I don't take medications for few months, I think it'll cause any harm. 

So your not taking anything ?

You also had an H/T?

54 minutes ago, dba said:

@bigmistake how bad n where would the scarring come up to?

Thank you by the way 

Scarring depends from person to person and skill of the clinic. 

In this example, there is no visible scarring:

And if you look up Mr Rolandas Microneedling on YouTube, you will see that his scarring is a lot worse although he also went to a really good clinic. 

So even if a doctor does his or her best one may get scarring. 

Don't get an HT if you don't want to touch finastride.

• Thanks 1

There are quite a few people on here who have HTs, and are not on Finasteride.

There's no guarantee that Fin will prevent further loss.  It just potentially slows down your progression (assuming you even respond well to it), and even then, it still loses efficacy over time.

If you have advanced loss and are still hellbent on getting a HT...then it's best to go with FUE and with a good doctor, to minimize scarring (in case you ever need to buzz your hair down in the future).  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dba said:

@asterix0 thank you mate

Is there anything else I can take that won't lower sexdrive n all that?

You can try topical finasteride, supposedly it is less systemic and the side effects are less.

You can also try taking different dosage sizes of finasteride, maybe 0.5mg per day, maybe 0.5mg every other day, or 1mg every other day, etc. 

• Thanks 1

It's worth trying it and see how you feel, tbh I had two years on it and not one side effect, so it might be the same for you? I know others on here have had various sides that put them off being on it, but they wished they could take it for all the points made above.

At the end of the day like mentioned above, if the hair is destined to thin and fall out, it'll do it moved or not, which was essentially my argument in trying to get all my thicker bits moved to weaker areas, as even if they are in whats classed as the unsafe zone, surely it does not matter, as if they fall out and have not been used vs whats been transplanted from safe areas, then it would still leave me with odd bald areas where the HT does not match up, so in my eyes they might as well use everything if its stablised

What is your families baldness like? similar to yours? have you noticed any changes over the last few years at all?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stewie said:

It's worth trying it and see how you feel, tbh I had two years on it and not one side effect, so it might be the same for you? I know others on here have had various sides that put them off being on it, but they wished they could take it for all the points made above.

At the end of the day like mentioned above, if the hair is destined to thin and fall out, it'll do it moved or not, which was essentially my argument in trying to get all my thicker bits moved to weaker areas, as even if they are in whats classed as the unsafe zone, surely it does not matter, as if they fall out and have not been used vs whats been transplanted from safe areas, then it would still leave me with odd bald areas where the HT does not match up, so in my eyes they might as well use everything if its stablised

What is your families baldness like? similar to yours? have you noticed any changes over the last few years at all?

Dads still got a birds nest of hair at 63... his dad is 94 n still has like all donor area but all bald in the middle

Mums dad died at 80 but he had thin hair not fully bald

My hair probably has gotten worse since 3 or 4yrs ago...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2024 at 9:25 PM, Stewie said:

Yeah its very true what your saying...  you don't look like a smoker @Stewie do you know of anybody that is n had a hair transplant?

Also bro whats the scarring like on the side of the head ? Can you see it up close ? Just seeing what my options are if I wanted to razor blend the sides you know.. @Stewie

Nah I don't smoke, but not that I know it should affect a HT? As for Scarring I think it depends on how it all heals, as in for some reason my left hand side never recovered properly from my first surgery in Manchester yet right hand side with same grafts taken recovered fine, and tbh when I shave it short it looks good and does not bother me personally

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stewie said:

Nah I don't smoke, but not that I know it should affect a HT? As for Scarring I think it depends on how it all heals, as in for some reason my left hand side never recovered properly from my first surgery in Manchester yet right hand side with same grafts taken recovered fine, and tbh when I shave it short it looks good and does not bother me personally

Oh really ? So even from yiur recent surgeries the donor areas are left with scarring you can see on say like a 1 buzz cut?

Yeah it will be noticeable to varying degrees from person to person depending how well your skin heals, tbh like I said, my left side never recovered from the first clinic in Manchester on the first 3000 graft surgery, not sure what they did but its slightly over harvested on the left even tho when looking at pics of what they took it should not of been that bad, but then all other surgeries have left if not bad at all, just like its thinned out vs actual noticeable scaring, but seen others when they have not been over harvested but just dont heal great from the FUE technique and you can see lots of thing dots when hair is short, so its hard to tell, but I have never scarred bad from anything tbh

• Valued Contributor
On 4/17/2024 at 6:09 PM, dba said:

This is something you need to be asking Dr Bansal. You really need to be forward and remember that you are the one paying them.

• Thanks 1