Oily scalp almost 2 years after transplant - cause and solution?

I have had an oily scalp for almost 2 years after my transplant.  I did also

start fin right after my transplant so not sure if that could cause an oily scalp.

Is this common? And anyone have any solution?  I only know it’s noticeably oilier because my transplant didn’t go well so I continue to buzz my hair very short and I can feel how oily it is.

I went to a dermatologist who said to use nizoral every day. The derm was not a hair “expert” and I had heard that nizoral daily is not recommended.

Any thoughts on the topic? Thanks 

@Hair-here In my case, I didn't clean my scalp properly as a result it caused oilyness. I  think you can start of by using regular shampoo every alternate day. If there's no improvement, use nizoral twice in a week

I followed my surgeons directions after the surgery.

Im just surprised it didn’t go away over a year after surgery.

Id like to listen to the dermatologist I saw but I just am not confident they are familiar with hair transplants and worry daily nizoral would be too harsh on my scalp and head, especially as I have a 2nd surgery planned in a few months.

1 hour ago, Hair-here said:

I followed my surgeons directions after the surgery.

Im just surprised it didn’t go away over a year after surgery.

Id like to listen to the dermatologist I saw but I just am not confident they are familiar with hair transplants and worry daily nizoral would be too harsh on my scalp and head, especially as I have a 2nd surgery planned in a few months.

Yes, Using nizoral daily would be too harsh for the scalp

May also be worth changing shampoos even if it’s just for a day or two a week. Hair can become accustomed to the same shampoo over time.

And yes definitely ease off the Nizoral, personally wouldn’t use it more than twice weekly max as it’s quite harsh on the hair.

Fin is not known to cause oily scalp. Some people who are on Dut saw an improvement in their oily scalp condition. 2% Ketokonazol shampoo daily is indeed a lot. Switch your frequency to twice a week only. Try incorporating a Selenium disulfide and salicylic acid shampoo (use it twice a week as well). Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo on days where your're not using the medicated shampoos. I think you should wash your hair daily.

Yes I always shampoo daily, though I have a very short buzzed hair style and basically a NW 6/7 pattern of loss.

i have been using the nizoral usually once per week and then a basic shampoo the rest of the time.

The more I read, some people suggest the extra oiliness could be coming from shampooing too often. Cleaning the natural oils off can cause the scalp to dry out and make more oil creating an overly oily condition.

I currently shampoo daily even though Im a NW 6/7 so I’m basically just shampooing my bare scalp.

This tip didn't work for me. Unfortunately many people online, especially influencers, try to present the idea of shampooing less (or not at all) as a panacea for many scalp conditions (including oiliness and even hair loss). If you're curious enough you can try it for a couple of weeks or a month and then assess. If not, try sticking to daily washes, alternating between a gentle shampoo without sulfate, and medicated shampoos (the ones I mentionned above).

• Moderators
On 4/10/2024 at 10:28 AM, Hair-here said:

I had heard that nizoral daily is not recommended.

Any thoughts on the topic? Thanks 

My hair was very oily when I was younger. I was told to try Nizoral and I ended up using it daily for several years as my only shampoo until my scalp gradually became less oily as I got a bit older. I don't think it's a problem to use daily if you have a very oily scalp. If it starts drying your hair and scalp out too much then cut down to using it two or three times per week.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.