Small procedure: FUT or FUE? Need some help...

I've made the decision to move forward with another hair transplant, but I'm hoping to receive some advice on how to approach my concerns best. I've already had one procedure via strip, and I'm wondering if FUE is a better option for me in this situation. The area where I want the work done is small--200 grafts in the right, temporal zone. I know such a small graft count screams FUE all the way, but my first procedure has left me with a wide scar. I live in Arizona, and visited Dr. Alexander this past week to discuss my concerns. He seemed adament that if I were to have this procedure with him, he would want to remove the scar tissue that had developed from my first procedure as a corrective measure. He could then remove the scar, hoping the revision would heal better, and also extract the grafts for my temple work.

I guess I'm really trying to decide if a scar revision and the temple work in one procedure would be the most beneficial to me? The other option is to leave the scar alone, and go the FUE route for such a small zone. I know for a fact 5 to 10 years from now I will need another surgery, so do I leave the scar alone and tackle that in the years to come? The problem I have with FUE is who is really available and reliable in the West? Any input here is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Coligion.

You have a decision to make. I think if your just wanting 200 or so grafts and your scar is not hindering your hairstyles and affecting you in public, then waiting is fine.

I always say, waiting is never a bad thing.

For FUE out west, I would encourage you to visit Dr. Harris in Colorado. You would be in good hands as he is well respected does fine FUE work.

Otherwise, removing the scar tissue and doing some small temple work via strip is fine as well.

Good Luck!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

That's a tough decision, for sure. I guess I'd just echo that until/unless you feel totally confident to just wait things out.

In your shoes, I'd get as many opinions as possible, especially from docs who do strip *and* FUE, *and* are proponents of FUE. That said, I would 100% do a consult (online or live) with SMG and Feller.

I think you really need to weigh how much and how badly the recovery and wait of strip and FUE respectively will have on you, vs. simply living with what you got and living it up.

My gut and what people have told me who have gone strip --> FUE, would be that I'd def lean towards doing FUE, unless you really feel that your strip scar is a big hinderance at this time.

Of course, you could do FUE into the scar or a revision later on if you do a big session of strip.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Coligion,

For starters, how old are you? I'd suggest if you are young with minimal hair loss, that you shouldn't even consider hitting the temples, even if it's only a few hundred grafts. God forbid your temples recede/thin in the coming years, you'll end up with little patches of hair in front of the baldness.

Of course, this advice doesn't apply if you're older with no other signs of hair loss.

I'm not telling you not to do it. Just consider the risks and work with a qualified surgeon to make good decisions.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you for the the honest replies. In addition, can anyone that has had procedures of smaller graft counts (less than 500) elaborate on how they handled the cost? I have done a lot of research, and it seems every doc out there wants to charge me the cost of a 1500 graft procedure when, in fact, I'm only doing 200-300 grafts. I understand why the price is so high: staffing, overheard, etc. Regardless, I would have hoped having less hair loss would mean the ability to not be as financially impacted by the procedure. Everyone has individual hair loss concerns and needs, and it's frustrating that for such a small procedure I'm looking to pay that of a large session. Unfortunately for me, my current area of concern is a great one, so I'm having to bite the bullet in a sense icon_frown.gif

Re: cost of a small FUE session...I know Dr. Feller does a "lunchtime"/"postage stamp" session that is essentially priced and designed for a situation like you might be in.

Also, SMG/Shapiro have FUE priced quite competitively so I don't think you'd be gouged if you went to them looking for a small sesh.

Regardless, though, FUE *is* more expensive than strip/FUE, graft for graft.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Re: cost of a small FUE session...I know Dr. Feller does a "lunchtime"/"postage stamp" session that is essentially priced and designed for a situation like you might be in.

Also, SMG/Shapiro have FUE priced quite competitively so I don't think you'd be gouged if you went to them looking for a small sesh.

Regardless, though, FUE *is* more expensive than strip/FUE, graft for graft.

Thanks for the reply, thana. I understand the cost difference between FUE and FUT, and also realize most clinics want you to do larger sessions (larger the session, the less cost per graft). A lot of clinics even have set minimum amounts you must pay, regardless if the graft count total is far below that price. I don't exactly feel comfortable paying for a procedure of 1500 grafts, when I'm only getting 200. I suppose most folks might tell me "tough," but nobody wants to get taken. I will continue to research and see if anyone is more accomodating for smaller procedures such as mine.

Col, as far as I know Dr's Feller and Shapiro won't give you 200 grafts while having you pay for 1500. They have the reasonable price scenario that you seem to be looking for; and I know Dr. Feller particularly as something known as a "Lunchtime Postage Stamp" session for ~200 graft type sessions.

-----------

Coligion, at SMG we will charge you for how many grafts you get. The only difference is we do not offer a travel discount for smaller sessions.

Take whatever number of grafts we do X 6.00

That is your total.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.