Ugly Duckling Questions

Im at 3 weeks post HT and would like to know: 

1. What percentage of HT people experience ugly duckling?
2. What week does it kick in? 
3. How long does it last for? 

Thanks
CP

I read that at least 25% of people have a hair shed and have the ugly duckling phase. And the rest is totally dependent, for some it can kick in a few months after the surgery, and it can last for a while. It really just depends.

• Valued Contributor

The vast majority shed the transplanted hair due to the trauma of surgery.  The transplanted hair goes into a resting phase and sheds and about 3 months post op the new hair begins to grow. This time of new growth can vary a little. Personally I have always found month two to be the worst point in the ugly duckling phase. All the best. 

12 hours ago, Gatsby said:

The vast majority shed the transplanted hair due to the trauma of surgery.  The transplanted hair goes into a resting phase and sheds and about 3 months post op the new hair begins to grow. This time of new growth can vary a little. Personally I have always found month two to be the worst point in the ugly duckling phase. All the best. 

What about none transplanted hair? How often do they go into a shed/shock loss and when do they tend to recover?

• Valued Contributor
46 minutes ago, Testaccount9900 said:

What about none transplanted hair? How often do they go into a shed/shock loss and when do they tend to recover?

Scalp hair stays in the anagen phase for 2-8 years and then goes into the telegenic phase for three months before shedding. Beard hair is the in the anagen phase for 2 months to 1 year and sits in the telegenic phase between 1-3 months before shedding. Chest hair stays in the anagen phase for 1-6 months and sits in the telogen phase for 2-6 months. So you can see when it comes to say a hybrid hair transplant like I have undergone these phases vary a lot which is something potential NW 7 patients need to take into account. That’s why I take oral minoxidil in the hope of keeping these hairs in the anagen phase as long as possible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Scalp hair stays in the anagen phase for 2-8 years and then goes into the telegenic phase for three months before shedding. Beard hair is the in the anagen phase for 2 months to 1 year and sits in the telegenic phase between 1-3 months before shedding. Chest hair stays in the anagen phase for 1-6 months and sits in the telogen phase for 2-6 months. So you can see when it comes to say a hybrid hair transplant like I have undergone these phases vary a lot which is something potential NW 7 patients need to take into account. That’s why I take oral minoxidil in the hope of keeping these hairs in the anagen phase as long as possible. 

Apologies I think I miss worded my question I meant in relation to shock loss of native hair during a transplant, not the actual transplanted hairs 

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Testaccount9900 said:

Apologies I think I miss worded my question I meant in relation to shock loss of native hair during a transplant, not the actual transplanted hairs 

Shock loss can happen but I don’t know if there’s a percentage to that. It’s such an individual thing. 

• Valued Contributor
On 3/12/2024 at 4:16 PM, Testaccount9900 said:

Shock loss, the shedding of non-transplanted hair, varies in intensity and is influenced by several factors, including medication. Individuals who have been on medication for at least 6-8 months before their operation typically experience minimal shock loss if the procedure is performed by a skilled professional. Recovery from shock loss can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months, with the duration varying among individuals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023