Shaved my head will it grow back

Posted (edited)

Hi all I shaved my head to the skin Just to see what sort of condition I am really in in preparation of thinking about a transplant. I was shocked to see I'm a NW5 diffuse thinner.

Although I have full coverage my existing hair was thinning everywhere. My worry now is that the hair I had will not regrow back to the original condition it was in pre shave, is this possible, could I have made myself more bald by shaving 

Fyi I'm not on and medication to preserve my hair. 

Edited by Zoobz

How old are you?…yes, your hair will grow back…will it be exactly as it was before you shaved it all off?…there is no way of knowing until you allow it to grow back…unless you start using effective hair loss meds, your hair loss will continue to progress.

Please share some photos of your scalp before you shaved it and after.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

If you are considering a hair transplant you will benefit from medication in preserving your existing native hair.

I agree... and if, as you say, it looks full when gown out, but you can see it's thinning when you shave it then right now you caught it early. If you start on meds now you may be able to keep it looking full for a lot of years. The longer you wait and let the hair fall out, the harder it is to bring it back.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

6 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Is that by choice? If you are considering a hair transplant you will benefit from medication in preserving your existing native hair.

No I cannot tolerate finasteride 

14 hours ago, Al - formerly BeHappy said:

I agree... and if, as you say, it looks full when gown out, but you can see it's thinning when you shave it then right now you caught it early. If you start on meds now you may be able to keep it looking full for a lot of years. The longer you wait and let the hair fall out, the harder it is to bring it back.

No it's far from full when grown out, but can be styled so doesn't look too bad. 

But now I shaved it, it has been one month and I am barely seeing growth. Just a few strands so I'm thinking maybe it won't return to it's original state 

19 hours ago, gillenator said:

How old are you?…yes, your hair will grow back…will it be exactly as it was before you shaved it all off?…there is no way of knowing until you allow it to grow back…unless you start using effective hair loss meds, your hair loss will continue to progress.

Please share some photos of your scalp before you shaved it and after.

@gillenator thanks for the reply

I am 34 years old. It has been 1 month and there is barely any coverage. I'm sunlight I can't see any hairs. 

I worried as I shaved it the weaker follicles that were providing coverage, just don't have the strength to grow longer and cover. 

Unfortunately I don't have before photos but I had hair everywhere, but thinning hair

But I do have after photos. One a week after shaving and another 20 days after

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-j48RyuClI9.jpg

• Moderators

Hair only grows about 1 to 1.5 centimeters per month, so let it grow a few months and see. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

You need to give it time, if you are a diffuse thinner miniaturised hair will grow slower, and those follicles need more time, so you are going through a phase where the hair is growing in a non-uniform manner, once you have some length hair will overlap each other and look more fuller but this could take a few months because of your miniaturized hairs, unfortunately this could take anywhere between 3-6 months so you just have to sit tight and wait.

• Like 1

A very simple way to evaluate diffusing hair is to take some samples of the diffused hair and some samples of hair from the donor zone and lay them down on a sheet of white paper such as printer paper… then use a magnifying glass and compare the differences in hair shaft diameter (caliber)…it will be easier to visually see the differentials of the hair shafts from  each other when they are laid side by side on white paper.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 3/14/2024 at 7:50 PM, gillenator said:

A very simple way to evaluate diffusing hair is to take some samples of the diffused hair and some samples of hair from the donor zone and lay them down on a sheet of white paper such as printer paper… then use a magnifying glass and compare the differences in hair shaft diameter (caliber)…it will be easier to visually see the differentials of the hair shafts from  each other when they are laid side by side on white paper.

@gillenator hi thanks im not sure what your saying, im already aware that i am diffusively thinnning thats very obvious as i am a NW5 diffuse, what i am asking is now as i have shaved to the skin, will this have killed some follicles or could it be a case of follicles that were previously long and providing coverage are now ina position where they are just not growing anymore 

No, shaving down to your bare scalp will not destroy hair follicles…it’s DHT that destroys hair follicles…but this is a degenerative process that takes place over a long period of time…each time a follicle fulfills a complete growth cycle consisting of grow, shed, and rest, DHT miniaturizes those receptive follicles until they are very small and eventually shut down any hair growth…Can DHT eventually destroy receptive follicles?…yes, but again this takes longer periods of time and why MPB is classified as a lifetime genetic progression.

This is why certain hairloss medications such as low dose finasteride are so crucial to preventing further genetic hair loss because finasteride and dutasteride (DUT) have been clinically proven to effectively inhibit DHT.

• Like 1

Gillenator