50% hair shed within the 3rd week post transplant

Hello guys hope you’re doing well. I got my transplant done on my front area on February 3rd from Eugenics hair sciences with 2104 grafts. Today marks the 23rd day since my surgery. The left recipient area has been looking far less dense than the right ever since the first headwash on the 7th day and it’s been a huge concerning area for me. Today the left side is looking like almost 50% or more hair had already shed there whereas the right has barely started to shed. Please take a look at my pictures and lemme know what y’all think. I’m getting a little worried at this point. 

photo-output.jpeg

photo-output.jpeg

photo-output.jpeg

photo-output.jpeg

photo-output.jpeg

photo-output.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

I wouldn't worry until after the ugly duck stage. That's post 3 months and then I would wait until month six to evaluate where you feel your transplant is heading. But judging a hair transplant before the end of the ugly duck is a misnomer. Keep posting your results on here. In my past two surgeries the transplanted hair (apart from 50% of the beard grafts) had all shed by week 6. It's patience game unfortunately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aintashketchum said:

I’m getting a little worried at this point.

You posted something similar not long ago. It seems like you're obsessing a bit over every little detail of recovery, which isn't healthy. Try not to put undue stress on yourself while recovering from surgery.

Everything looks good, just follow the clinic's post-operative care instructions and stop fixating on every detail of how things look right now. It's a slow process, which is going to get worse before it gets better, and it won't happen at the same rate throughout the recipient area of your scalp.

Edited by gaz9318054
  • Like 2

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

I’ve read that you need to forget about it all for the first 3-5 months until you start to see the progress come through near the half a year mark. I imagine that is easier said than done with daily reminders in the mirror though! I’m looking to have an FUE in summer and imagine I’d be looking constantly also! 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. It looks like one side started shedding a bit earlier than the other. That's not so unusual. Growth doesn't always come in at the same speed either, so look out for that in a few months. You could be one of the very lucky ones who ends up not shedding too much especially on that one side. That could be a sign that you will start growing very early there. I had one procedure where I hardly shed any of the grafts in a certain section. They just started growing from day one and never shed. Then again you could end up shedding late on that side which may end up making that side take longer to get growth going. There's no way to tell at this stage. You just have to play the waiting game and see what happens.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

8 hours ago, Lenzman said:

I’ve read that you need to forget about it all for the first 3-5 months until you start to see the progress come through near the half a year mark. I imagine that is easier said than done with daily reminders in the mirror though! I’m looking to have an FUE in summer and imagine I’d be looking constantly also! 

Man you have no clue how much i look into my hair every time i come across a mirror. I know that things are kinda gonna look like this until the results show up but we still obsess over everything you know lol. And yeah man go for it you ain’t gonna regret it! 

8 hours ago, manutd4545 said:

All normal , first 3 months are the worst then it starts getting better. 4 months for me always felt like when the magic happened.

Hope things turn out the same way for me as well man! Thank you.

6 hours ago, Al - formerly BeHappy said:

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. It looks like one side started shedding a bit earlier than the other. That's not so unusual. Growth doesn't always come in at the same speed either, so look out for that in a few months. You could be one of the very lucky ones who ends up not shedding too much especially on that one side. That could be a sign that you will start growing very early there. I had one procedure where I hardly shed any of the grafts in a certain section. They just started growing from day one and never shed. Then again you could end up shedding late on that side which may end up making that side take longer to get growth going. There's no way to tell at this stage. You just have to play the waiting game and see what happens.

Appreciate your words man! The one side where it’s shedding so much now and also super early has been driving me crazy but i did some research and found out shedding could be uneven too so i guess i just gotta wait. Also i know there’s nothing i could do at this stage besides just wait for the result so I’m just tryna stay calm but it just gets me whenever i see my hair. The other side also started shedding now but looks like it’s going at a very slow rate compared to the left. Surprises me that I’m not even 4 weeks in and things are progressing mad quick! Hope things even out and i don’t end up having to just keep shaving my head until results come through! 

I shed all my transplanted before the end of the 2nd week after my surgery. Perfectly normal according to my surgeon. Just a waiting game now for 

Edited by Myles23
  • Like 1

Actually, many patients begin to shed their grafts at 3 weeks post-op…perfectly normal.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY