Recovery from HT

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum. I need to have a second transplant and wanted to get people's opinion on how they dealt with the recovery. I had to wear a hat for about 1 year and the thought of that is very tiring. I basically have to watch 1 year of my life go by without being able to enjoy things. It took a huge toll on my mental well-being

Appreciate your advice

I am hoping that you you got enough results from your first procedure to help camouflage things the second time around. In most cases after 7-14 the patient should appear similar to before the procedure.  Unless FUE was done and then you have to wait for hair to grow back in the donor area. Patients that are very fair skinned can have some prolonged redness but not a year.

• Valued Contributor
On 2/26/2024 at 7:00 AM, chrisu said:

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum. I need to have a second transplant and wanted to get people's opinion on how they dealt with the recovery. I had to wear a hat for about 1 year and the thought of that is very tiring. I basically have to watch 1 year of my life go by without being able to enjoy things. It took a huge toll on my mental well-being

Appreciate your advice

@chrisu I am about 19 days post op on my third hair transplant. I don't even think of it in all honesty. And the reality is if you're not thinking of it then others won't be thinking about it. Being a hair transplant candidate is as much psychological as it is surgical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

@chrisu I am about 19 days post op on my third hair transplant. I don't even think of it in all honesty. And the reality is if you're not thinking of it then others won't be thinking about it. Being a hair transplant candidate is as much psychological as it is surgical. 

Well said Gats, and the same was also true for me on all 4 of my FUHT procedures…I have never buzzed my hair or kept a short hair length so always having 4 inches or longer provided enough coverage in the donor and recipient zones.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

thanks all

@Dr. Glenn Charles I can cover my back fine but the work will be for my hairline. I could comb it down but it looks a bit strange to be honest. Speaking of FUE, Doc from your experience does growth yield differ from between FUT vs FUE? If I have had an FUT, would you think its ok to go FUE? I know there are many variables at play... I have good donor and only need to fix my hairline for now. 

@Gatsby so you go out with no hat and use your own coverage?

• Valued Contributor
20 minutes ago, chrisu said:

@Gatsby so you go out with no hat and use your own coverage?

Well two years ago I was a Norwood 7 and zero coverage. I was just elated to have some hair again after more than three decades. On the plane back I was spraying my grafts every hour in the middle isle. I got to go for a pee and started talking to one of the air stewards. He noticed the blue medical cap I was wearing and asked me about my transplant. It turned out that he was on finasteride! After a bit of chatting about my long story he ended up bumping me up into first class! You will be surprised how happy people can be for you.