How to choose hairline design?

Hi,

I'm a long-time lurker who has learned so much from the generous participants of this forum.

I'm excited flying to Thailand in two weeks time to have a hair transplant with Dr Laorwong. But I haven't given much though to hairline design. In fact I don't really know where to begin. I've read about people who went in with a very specific idea in mind, while others just seem to go with whatever the Dr decides.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Is there anywhere I can go to learn about hairline design? Or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks.

E.

• Moderators

Most people who go for a hair transplant are trying to get back to something similar to what they once had. I always say if you were relatively happy with the hair you had before it was falling out then take a look at some old photos of yourself and try to recreate that hairline style. I'm not saying to try to get it as low or as dense as it once was, but the general idea of what you had is usually the best place to start if you are trying to decide on a hairline style. The reason is because you want to still look and feel like yourself... just a better version.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

I always like to think about the future especially if you are young. If you are in your 20's then remember your hair and your face is going to look different as you get older. You need to factor this into the equation. Also I would be guided by your surgeon.

2 hours ago, Al - formerly BeHappy said:

Most people who go for a hair transplant are trying to get back to something similar to what they once had. I always say if you were relatively happy with the hair you had before it was falling out then take a look at some old photos of yourself and try to recreate that hairline style. I'm not saying to try to get it as low or as dense as it once was, but the general idea of what you had is usually the best place to start if you are trying to decide on a hairline style. The reason is because you want to still look and feel like yourself... just a better version.

i like this idea.

also keep in mind that where ever your hairline is slick bald it will take a lot of grafts to make it look dense and natural.
i've seen a lot of people make it way too low and it doesn't look good.

This will really depend on your age, extent of loss, future loss potential, donor availability etc

For younger patients with more extensive loss and the propensity for future loss, more conservative will more often than not be in your best interests and allow more donor to be retained for potential future requirements.

When a patient researches and narrows down their preferred doctors, generally this will be based on an appreciation of the artistic approach of the doctor and therefore you will feel more confident following the advice and proposed design or somewhat close to that of the doctor.

You may appreciate the following video that discussed optimal hairline design -

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.