Some stubborn hairs still growing in front of a new hair transplanted hairline

So last year I got a consultation with Dr Pathomvanich in Thailand and was set to go ahead with surgery the following day. However I basically panicked for a number reasons and cancelled the surgery. One of the reasons was as follows. As you can hopefully see in the pic below I have a few stranded hairs that still survived  years of receding. Dr P drew a new hairline but conservatively enough that these old hairs were outside it. Dr P explained that although those hairs are from my old hairline that at my age (31) it wouldn't look natural to have such a straight hairline now. Do you think Dr P's logic makes sense or should the new hairline be based around those few hairs from my old hairline? If not,  would I have to continually shave off these old stubborn hairs on either side if I went ahead with Dr P's more conservatively hairline?

I hope this  somewhat makes sense. Thanks for any kind of response in advanced.

IMG_7330.thumb.jpeg.c0c7f3818e8bff49415af7ba681018b4.jpeg

IMG_7328.thumb.jpeg.cf79033c0e2b7875ca08a93ef440f2d7.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 12.24.19.png

• Moderators

You have a lot of crown loss, so it's probably best to start with a high, conservative hairline first. Then later if you still have enough donor grafts left you can think about lowering the hairline a bit. Usually the few hairs in front of the transplanted hairline will help to make it look more natural, so I don't see anything wrong with what the Dr is saying about that.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Appreciate the replies folks, thankyou. 

On 2/21/2024 at 7:26 AM, Stoner said:

Would very strongly urge you to get on meds, if you are not already. I am afraid a HT is not sustainable otherwise in your case.

Since these pics I've actually been on oral fin and topical fin and min for about 8 months. Here are some pics of my hair now in different lighting and my donor area. Would love to know what you or anyone else on the forum thinks of my suitability for a HT this year.

IMG_9780.jpg

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_9834.JPG

IMG_9824.JPG

As others have said, it is done to aid naturalness. 

I had the same question when my hairline was drawn. I'm probably 15 years older than you, but still think building around the fine hairs that have stubbornly refused to die is a sensible idea.

Here's mine:

IMG_20240223_110814.thumb.jpg.9e5c472e55aad26c02ec171b78130535.jpg

Edited by BackFromTheBrink

• Moderators
11 hours ago, MyKindaMoves said:

Since these pics I've actually been on oral fin and topical fin and min for about 8 months. Here are some pics of my hair now in different lighting and my donor area. Would love to know what you or anyone else on the forum thinks of my suitability for a HT this year.

It looks like you are getting great results from the meds. That will really help you out if/when you go for a hair transplant. It will save you money and grafts.If you feel that you are still improving, then maybe wait a little longer before going through with the HT just to see how much growth you can get without it. Surgery is something you are better off avoiding if you can get to a decent place without it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.