Clinic wants to make incisions the day before harvest/implantation. Is this ok?

I have narrowed my search for a surgeon/clinic down to a list of 5. I have been quoted about 2,500-3,000 grafts. One of the clinics I am high on would break my case down into 2 days. The first day would be the hairline design/incisions and the 2nd day would be the extraction/implantation of the grafts. This clinic is really good--one of the best in the United States. I trust that they are ethical, but one of the main reasons I have them so high is that i liked their work on previous patients that have a similar pattern of hair loss as my own, and after reviewing those cases, none of them had all of the incisions made a day before the harvest/implantation. I take it that this is a recent change that the clinic has undergone. I have reached out to the clinc with my concerns, however i would like to get some unbiased input from the posters over here. Is this something I should worry about?

I have a few questions about this that maybe someone can answer;

• Could the incisions close and need to be reopened the next day?
  • Even if the incisions do not fully close, could they begin to close thus running a risk of friction between the bulb and skin which could harm survival of the  graft? 
  • Would this method lead to a higher risk of cobblestones? 
  • Should I be worried about the hole clotting without the graft? Inserting a graft into a bloody incision would allow the graft and the hole to clot together

Thank you to anyone that can help, it is much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Whirlpool22 said:

This clinic is really good--one of the best in the United States.

Please name the clinic.

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000FU, Summer 2023

2 hours ago, Whirlpool22 said:

I have narrowed my search for a surgeon/clinic down to a list of 5. I have been quoted about 2,500-3,000 grafts. One of the clinics I am high on would break my case down into 2 days. The first day would be the hairline design/incisions and the 2nd day would be the extraction/implantation of the grafts. This clinic is really good--one of the best in the United States. I trust that they are ethical, but one of the main reasons I have them so high is that i liked their work on previous patients that have a similar pattern of hair loss as my own, and after reviewing those cases, none of them had all of the incisions made a day before the harvest/implantation. I take it that this is a recent change that the clinic has undergone. I have reached out to the clinc with my concerns, however i would like to get some unbiased input from the posters over here. Is this something I should worry about?

I have a few questions about this that maybe someone can answer;

• Could the incisions close and need to be reopened the next day?
  • Even if the incisions do not fully close, could they begin to close thus running a risk of friction between the bulb and skin which could harm survival of the  graft? 
  • Would this method lead to a higher risk of cobblestones? 
  • Should I be worried about the hole clotting without the graft? Inserting a graft into a bloody incision would allow the graft and the hole to clot together

Thank you to anyone that can help, it is much appreciated. 

Shapiro Medical group?

• Valued Contributor

I'm unsure, but I believe that Eugenix Clinic may be performing incisions first, followed by extraction and implantation on the next day for some patients. Although I can't confirm this, I recall one patient who approached me for assistance and mentioned this method as Eugenix's approach.

In a typical hair transplant procedure, incisions, extraction, and implantation are usually done on the same day. However, some clinics may choose to do these steps on separate days, especially for larger procedures or for the comfort of the patient. It ultimately depends on the specific approach and practices of the clinic performing the surgery.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Moderators

I'm not personally a fan of it, but I know there are a few clinics that do it. Just make sure they are not extracting grafts on day 1 and not implanting them until day 2. That's a big NO. Grafts have to be put back into your scalp within a few hours to have good growth. I think this is actually the reason why some Drs will do all of the incisions on one day and then extracting and inserting the next day. It cuts down the amount of time that grafts are out of your body. If the incisions were already done then they can just extract grafts and place them into the incision holes much quicker. If there's very little out of body time then the grafts will potentially have a better chance at survival.

I would say take a look at a lot of the Drs before and after pictures of other patients who had it done that way. If you still feel uncomfortable about how the procedure will be performed then perhaps he/she is not the right Dr for you.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hey man, common for surgeons to make incisions first in the morning and then extract the grafts after and plant them so they’re out of the body for a shorter period…. The day before though I’m not so sure about as I’d assume they’d start to close up… 

I have read that some clinics do this, but I don’t really understand the rationale. Why can’t they do extracting and transplanting of 50% grafts on day 1 and rest on day 2? What’s the benefit of making all incisions on day one and all extracting/transplanting on day 2. 

• Like 2

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

• Valued Contributor

I've asked about this DHT method of FUE. I've been told that the healing of the slits works best between 24-48 hours. So when the grafts are implanted during this time they are held in better and heal better. Also it means the grafts are out of the body for the least amount of time possible which can lead to earlier growth.

• Like 1

That's what's happened to me with Eugenix yep. They assured me that slits the day before is not a problem (it was less than 20h in my case).

What is key is the time between the extraction of a graft and its implantation.