19 years old, best hair loss stack long term?

i’m currently on 5mg (2.5mg twice a day) of oral minoxidil and 1mg oral finasteride.

i’ve attached photos of my hair. i’m really scared of losing all of my hair and i plan on getting a transplant (or as much as needed) but i also want to be on the best hair loss stack possible for a young person with aggressive loss, i also want to prevent my donor and existing hair from thinning as much as possible before my transplant(s).

dermaroller? vitamins? looking into anything that will help preserve my hair. 

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0083.jpeg

IMG_0084.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

Your concern about hair recession at a young age is evident in your pictures. While it's commendable that you're proactive about preserving your hair, considering a hair transplant is premature due to your age. It's advisable to consult an experienced doctor to develop a safe and tailored medication regimen rather than self-prescribing. Taking action is great, but it's crucial to involve a professional in your hair care journey.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Your stack is about as good as it gets. I take myself 5mg Oral min and 0.5mg avodart daily. 

Changing fin for avodart would be your next option if you feel like your still losing ground

Edited by thetdog666

3 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

Your concern about hair recession at a young age is evident in your pictures. While it's commendable that you're proactive about preserving your hair, considering a hair transplant is premature due to your age. It's advisable to consult an experienced doctor to develop a safe and tailored medication regimen rather than self-prescribing. Taking action is great, but it's crucial to involve a professional in your hair care journey.

i plan on getting a hair transplant around 23/24 or as soon as the reputable surgeon i have picked, approves so. i am prescribed by a doctor and i monitor my own vitals as well, i’m taking 2.5mg twice a day to minimize side effects. (have been on 2.5mg last six months with no issues, recently upped the dose) ive been on finasteride the past year and tolerate it well. 

2 hours ago, thetdog666 said:

Your stack is about as good as it gets. I take myself 5mg Oral min and 0.5mg avodart daily. 

Changing fin for avodart would be your next option if you feel like your still losing ground

thanks i appreciate this. i have seen so much horror stories around dutasteride sheds that was never regained, that i’m worried that at this point even if it doesn’t actually negatively impact my hair, ill have nocebo and it will. what’s your experience?

I really doubt meds alone are going to halt your hairloss. Guys who significantly start losing hair in their teenage years have a very very strong genetic predisposition to balding.

Get on the meds and wait until your late 20s for your 1st HT. In the meantime, learn to cope or better yet just try not to let baldness affect you (I know it is hard)

The silver lining to this is 7-10 years is a long time from now and you will have a different personality and life outlook than you do now

I am NOT saying you will feel definitely feel this way, but there is a chance you will get to your late 20s and not give a f*ck about baldness and you will save yourself a ton of time, money, and agony by not going down this road. 

I think that by living the next 5 years or so as a bald or receding dude, you may develop the life skills to not need a HT in order to feel happy. 

I do want to clarify that for all I know your late 20s will get here and your feelings may be unchanged or even worse 🤣. But what I am getting at is that hair transplants are always the last resort. Learning how to be happy and free and living naturally with MPB Is always the best option, but of course not every guy is able to truly be at peace being bald. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I really doubt meds alone are going to halt your hairloss. Guys who significantly start losing hair in their teenage years have a very very strong genetic predisposition to balding.

Get on the meds and wait until your late 20s for your 1st HT. In the meantime, learn to cope or better yet just try not to let baldness affect you (I know it is hard)

The silver lining to this is 7-10 years is a long time from now and you will have a different personality and life outlook than you do now

I am NOT saying you will feel definitely feel this way, but there is a chance you will get to your late 20s and not give a f*ck about baldness and you will save yourself a ton of time, money, and agony by not going down this road. 

I think that by living the next 5 years or so as a bald or receding dude, you may develop the life skills to not need a HT in order to feel happy. 

I do want to clarify that for all I know your late 20s will get here and your feelings may be unchanged or even worse 🤣. But what I am getting at is that hair transplants are always the last resort. Learning how to be happy and free and living naturally with MPB 

i truly wish i had the confidence to do that. unfortunately i feel very strongly towards keeping my hair, i don’t believe that will change. i plan on getting as much transplants as needed, i currently have enough saved away to be operated on by a reputable surgeon. my end game is transplants + smp tattoo with meds to maintain. i just hope it all works out. if nothing else, i’d rather have thin hair all over with smp tattoo and buzz my head to give the illusion of a full head of hair. 

3 hours ago, zenmu said:

thanks i appreciate this. i have seen so much horror stories around dutasteride sheds that was never regained, that i’m worried that at this point even if it doesn’t actually negatively impact my hair, ill have nocebo and it will. what’s your experience?

Alot better than fin for me

I have a friend who was just like you. The balding was evident when he was 20 years old.
he have  been using Fin 5 days a week, DUT 2 days a week and 5 mg oral minoxidil every day for 5 years now.
he has kept his hair and has still the teenage hair and the density as before. 
so it's possible to keep it :)

• Moderators

It sucks to have noticeable hair loss before you even hit 20, but the good news for you is it looks like it's only in the front. It looks like you have very thick hair everywhere else. If you can get on meds and stop the progression then you'll be a great hair transplant candidate in maybe 5 years. You may even be able to gain a little bit of hair back, but the frontal area is the hardest area to regrow hair, so don't expect miracles. Unfortunately you are too young for a hair transplant at this age because the pattern and loss rate is just too unpredictable right now.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.