2nd Hair transplant. Dr. Turan Fuecapilar 17.01.2024 - 2955 Grafts

Hi, 

I'm from the UK and i flew out to Istanbul on Thursday 16th of January to undergo my planned surgery on the 17th of January 2024 with Dr. Turan at Fuecapilar and id like to document and share my experience. I would also like to say a big thank you to the people on this platform, its assisted me greatly in pre and post op care, planning of my procedure and ultimately, choosing a surgeon. Also a special mention for the forum member who recommend a wedge pillow on Amazon that keeps you upright whilst asleep. Lifesaver. I was dreading this most as i can only sleep on might front so 👊 to you.

Background

37 Year old male from the UK

Currently on Topical Finasteride and Minoxidil for the last 6 months after switching from Oral Finasteride due to bad side effects

Noticed by receding in the temples from the age of 17 years old. 

I had Previous FUT hair transplant of 2500 grafts by FUT in 2012 done by UK Hairtransplants in Nottingham, UK. I had done little researching when choosing this clinic and was suckered in by paid celebrities on social media who were ambassadors for this clinic. I cannot recall the doctors name who performed the strip but he had no further involvement with the surgery and techs did most of the works but as you'll probably see in my pre op pics below, the work was terrible. The only thing good about this surgery was the FUT scar which healed nicely and i can shave my hair to a number 1 and its not visible. My skin to hair contrast probably helps also. I haven't any photos directly after my first procedure but i found one after they made the incisions to give you an indication of my MPB at 24 years old. 

1st surgery photo 2012 after incisions

image.jpeg.86bc38fa07b923d49be4f013bcca706e.jpeg

Deciding on 2nd Procedure

In 2022 it was evident that my balding was progressing further and my initial procedure was a failure which lacked significant density and i started becoming self conscious abut my head. I started to browse on the internet, my social media became just one big advertisement for hair transplants and i reached out via whatssapp to three well known Turkish hairmills but was immediately put off by the agents pushiness and eagerness to book in the procedure and ultimately decided against it. 

After a late night of google searching last April,  i found HRN and haven't stopped looking through since. Originally i wanted my 2nd procedure to be done with Fuegenix, the surgeon there in my opinion is the GOAT and I'm always blown away by results. Due to waiting lists, costs etc. (Maybe a 3rd surgery) I explored other surgeons and reached out to three in total on the recommended list whose work i liked (UK, Portugal and Turkey) and decided on Dr Turan after an online consultation. I am a fan of his results and two members in particular.  @arcadeblaster and @irfsss. I booked my surgery around October 2023 scheduled for March 2024 and due to a cancellation, i was offered January 17th slot which i jumped at. 

Pre Op Consultation Pictures

7.jpg.844aecdcae498a464f57b88739297781.jpg

3.jpg.f5cbcf6e57a10486efded2dcc891f082.jpg

1.jpg.e112ee76d15a0a7e0c7bc18e4b90dbe6.jpg

6.jpg.b69aa19c0b39dcbc6c6a5f529c4ca329.jpg

4.jpg.bcc4a554547bab81a27455d56cab7062.jpg

Surgery Day

I don't want to expand too much on the actual procedure as many have already covered it. The surgery was done in one day, 1 session of extraction and implanting and the same in the afternoon session which took from 8:30am until 8:00pm and i had 2955 grafts in total. There was me and one other patient who had a procedure done (his took while 11pm at night) All the implantation using a DHI method was performed by Dr. Turan and the extractions were performed by a doctor (forgot his name) who started with a manual punch but due to my thin follicle characteristics he switched to a motor punch. The anesthetic is a sharp sting but comparable to squeezing a spot on your back and the pain lasts the same amount of time. My online consultation estimate was between 2000- 2500, Dr. Turan after seeing me in person, estimated 2800 -2900. I have attached the 2024 pricing list to assist anyone thinking of reaching out to Fuecapilar and what costs they can expect to pay. (I stayed an extra night to what's included at £37 as i wanted to recover before flying home)

9.jpg.4590bfcd5330a46714d7e2f9dc400eef.jpg

I met with Dr. Turan as soon I arrived at the clinic. Like many have said before, he speaks little to no English and all communication is through an interpreter who has been brilliant these past few days. However i must say that Dr Turan answered all the questions i had and after gave me a little football banter of how rubbish my team Man United are now Sir Alex has left. He is friendly, knowledgeable and made me feel at ease though this first meeting and i knew i was in good hands.

I read one review from a forum member stating that in his experience the clinic wasn't hygienic typically accustomed in the EU and USA. This played on my mind so was subconsciously vigilant during the procedure. I found it to be what you'd expect in the UK and i didn't encounter anything that i thought was unhygienic.  

I went in with two options of how i would like my hairline designed not knowing the extent of my MPB and current hair characteristics prior to flying to Turkey. Option 1 (Preferable) - if the density or balding of my existing hair allowed, lower the hairline aggressively and reduce the highpoints. Option 2: Keep the outline of the hairline from the previous surgery and provide density backwards and into the forelock towards the mid scalp and save grafts for another day. After the microscope i had lots of miniaturization in the forelock and a small amount in the crown. I was actually intrigued with this part as i could see my hair up close. My donor area consisted of thin hairs and very little in terms of triples or quads in my donor, only singles and mainly doubles, as common with people with blond hair. At this point i knew my preference was option 2 even though i dreamed of a teenager hairline, i didn't want to be in my 50's and have nothing left for the crown. Ill see in few years if i change my mind and decide to lower, dependent on if finasteride does its job. I was involved throughout the drawing of the hairline and wanted a more rounded look due to personal preference which Dr. Turan obliged.

Overall the experience I've received from Fuecapilar to date has been excellent, from initial communication from the outset, Dr. Turan, the translator, the extraction doctor, the technicians and drivers have all made me feel welcome and have provided me reassurance despite not knowing i needed it at the time. 

8.jpg.437f14812e0ddb36521bdc05a1760103.jpg 

Post Op Pictures After 1st Wash

15.jpg.322f7ebadf08e6b383dc36269b537bbd.jpg

11.jpg.7510e4c609b17247fe0589aa7526cf89.jpg10.jpg.787136b8a9f7085ddc6a548d3391be0f.jpg

12.jpg.ef7f3e5625c6b062402e2261f5c09d65.jpg13.jpg.f22edcf983ffcfdea0c98dd8efd3c1dc.jpg

14.jpg.ea96a4246db7e8fd7bbd8491312fb560.jpg

Post Op Medication

• Will restart topical finasteride and minoxidil in 1 month as advised
  • might explore using dusteride to see if i get any side effects as potentially more potent and need to keep my crown
  • multi vitamins / biotin, collagen, MSM, Ginseng, Zeolite,
  • Schedule PRP in the UK in two months time then 4 months from date of procedure.

Once I've received by surgery breakdown ill update the thread. 

Thanks for reading, any feedback would be appreciated or questions you might have,  I'm happy to respond. 

Edited by O-Myles59
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, htus said:

Did you leave the day after the procedure? Would you have preferred to stay another day? Thanks

Hello @htus. I stayed an extra night so left two days after the procedure. Glad I did as I used the day after to recover in my hotel room

• 2 weeks later...

Photos taken 6 days after my surgery. Scabs removed and donor healing nicely. Had some pain in the donor but seems to have subsided from day 9. Sprayed saline religiously every hour and didn’t have any of the crusts / large scabs. Happy with the post care and instructions from the FUECAPILAR team.

IMG_0235.jpeg.ee3dbd2f9b65a543aacb0ef698e26035.jpegIMG_0239.jpeg.ef9f68f2a89fb256c64aed2a26b51e79.jpegIMG_0238.jpeg.db3dc4a1d3ed08b8c6491e4ab2b56dbe.jpeg

Edited by O-Myles59
  • Like 1

Looking good. I was there last week and don't think Ill be as scab free as you are. I daren't leave the house ! 

I'll be keeping on eye as you're just a week on from me. I am Norwood 5a so need to go back for crown. Like yourself, I was happy and will see what the following months bring.

I do notice price is rising a lot every year. While Fuecappilar are very reasonable, I think rate of increases is far outstripping average inflation and in time this clinic will be out of reach for a lot of us. 

Edited by luckyg
  • Like 1

Thanks @luckyg. Yes I agree. I do believe however that FUECAPILAR are building quite a reputation and with any supply and demand, it will push the prices up. Glad we got there early. Wish you well in your recovery and hope you achieve your desired result 

9 hours ago, luckyg said:

Looking good. I was there last week and don't think Ill be as scab free as you are. I daren't leave the house ! 

I'll be keeping on eye as you're just a week on from me. I am Norwood 5a so need to go back for crown. Like yourself, I was happy and will see what the following months bring.

I do notice price is rising a lot every year. While Fuecappilar are very reasonable, I think rate of increases is far outstripping average inflation and in time this clinic will be out of reach for a lot of us. 

It you look at the inflation rate in Turkey you'll see that prices aren't rising anywhere near as quickly. In 2023 the government figure was 65 percent but that's thought to be artificially low according to the locals.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 3:33 PM, luckyg said:

How was the anesthesia pain for you? Did you leave the day after the procedure? Thanks

@htus anaesthesia wasn’t too bad, slight sting but over in 10 seconds. Yes I stayed an additional night. Procedure was on the Wednesday and flew home Friday afternoon. I could have gone home the day after as I wasn’t in any discomfort 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@htus clinic provided a 100ml bottle of saline which lasts a few days then bought some more when I returned home. They also provide medication, shampoo. I’d bring a better neck pillow as the one they provide isn’t the best. You’ll be in good hands. Good luck with your surgery 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

7 Weeks and 1 day since i had my surgery with Dr. Turan. Thought id do an update as I'm going away. I pretty much lost all my transplanted hair 9 days after my surgery which was slightly earlier than id thought it would be. I started taking Oral Minoxidil 2.5mg per day and have responded really well and wish id started on it sooner as my existing hair feels really course. Trimming nose hair weekly which is weird given I'm blonde and have only done it twice my entire life which I'm attributing to OM.  Haven't wore a hat once and really embracing the ugly duckling stage and evolution of my hairline. Excited for next few months 

Hair1.thumb.jpg.360c5634457d669599a86be5563970b0.jpg

Hair2.thumb.jpg.460bbbe28d7c40b3469bc1fa36726c22.jpg

• Like 3