Forum Recommended Surgeon Review

How often does a HT surgeon that is recommended on this forum get reviewed? Looking back at photos of my first HT the surgeon  seemed to be very aggressive in his approach when  he should have just added grafts to the temple and hairline . Instead he placed grafts in my hairline midscalp  and close to my crown which resulted in a lot of shock loss to my native hair which then resulted in making my hair look worse 9-12 months later.  I was a naive 28 year old at the time so I didn't know any better but looking back at my preop photos it makes me extremely annoyed   that the surgeon took  the approach that he did.  So I am interested to know how often does do these recommended surgeons get reviewed and what can be done for a case like mine? I am not looking for any compensation but I want these surgeons to be held accountable if they've  been negligent. 

Edited by kmgrafix

Photos of my pre and post HT both with wet hair. Notice that they are no gaps seen preop while 12 months post op they are many because of the shock loss to my native hair. Also notice that my temple area and hairline  preop is fairly receded and this is what the surgeon should have focussed on.  Instead 12 months on the temple and hairline looks just as bad. Seriously  a complete  waste of time and money. 

Screenshot_20240112_090158_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090213_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090219_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090241_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090248_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090256_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090301_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090327_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090331_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090337_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_115549_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_115535_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Edited by kmgrafix

Melvin will know.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

In my opinion you were not a candidate for a hairtransplant, you were a candidate for medical therapy with finasteride to preserve what you had. At the age of 28 and with this type of hair it was too early to jump into surgery and im preety sure implanting hair among your native hair only caused some permanent schockloss and accelerated your hairloss. Where did you had this done?

@jjalay Yes I now realise this when I look back at my photos. The surgeon in question would have known better and should have properly guided me. . Will pass on the name of the surgeon to Melvin via pm if he's interested to know who this person is. 

Edited by kmgrafix

Hi @kmgrafix and sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.  However, I'm still in the process of looking for a surgeon and this will help me and others to make a decisions about the transplant. If you are not comfortable with posting their name, can you please pm with the clinic? Appreciate 

@kmgrafix 

sorry about the fact that you weren't completely satisfied with your results. Do you mind sharing the name of the surgeon so that others on this forum don't make the same mistake? 
I too am going to a surgeon that I found on the recommended list (Dr Yaman). Overall most of his reviews are good but there are a few outliers but I also understand from others on this forum that not every surgeon will deliver great results 100% of the time. 
But to your point, I agree that surgeons that make it to the recommended list should be monitored closely incase their results start to fall off which in that case they should then be removed from the list. 
It's important that everybody does their due diligence on the surgeon that they plan to visit but having a recommended list will give some people the automatic assumption that those surgeons are great at what they do considering that this is one of the biggest hair transplant forum on the internet. 

I think your pre op and post op photos are not comparable since you have different hair styles. In the pre op photos you Comb your hair back while you don’t do that on the post op photos. Also the post op show much more wet hairs compared to the ore op.
Everyone who does wet look in the hair transplants without combing his hair back will show gaps between his scalp.   

also keep in mind that if you are not taking finasteride your hair loss will normally progress if you are a diffuse thinner.

So in your case you did not take finasteride and as a result your hair look was progressing…you can’t expect to have the same native hairs if you are not taking finasteride to stabilise your hair loss.
Your hair transplant result might be successful but because you didn’t  take finateride you would expect your hair loss to progress. 

Edited by Reina

in another thread, you said that you had 2 FUT procedures one in 2008 and one in 2011 and you are looking for a third one now.

So this result is before 16 years in 2008 from your first FUT procedure?

Also i have seen these photos of you..are these photos your current hair situation? You look like norwood 6 with a norwood 7 crown...

Screenshot_20230827_212849_YahooMail.jpg.b1be0f8e098ce8ac0522001e8d3363cf.jpg

Screenshot_20230827_212843_YahooMail.jpg.6a2216599ab8d0137712ee7dfe358c5d (1).jpg

Edited by wembley

@Reina I did mention that both my preop and post op were taken when my hair was wet with the same slick back hairstyle. The preop hair doesn't show gaps compared to my post op look. My point was/is that the HT should have been much more conservatively done by the surgeon with only 800-1000 grafts in my estimate to the temples and the hairline. Or the surgeon could have advised me to return in a couple of years while trying the safer minoxidil.   Keep in mind that I was a naive 28 year old then so I didn't know any better and was  under the illusion that I would have a full head of hair  and the surgeon never warned me about shock loss and  how my hair would look worse in 12 months time if I was to discontinue taking finasteride.

Edited by kmgrafix

35 minutes ago, kmgrafix said:

@Reina I did mention that both my preop and post op were taken when my hair was wet with the same slick back hairstyle. The preop hair doesn't show gaps compared to my post op look. My point was/is that the HT should have been much more conservatively done by the surgeon with only 800-1000 grafts in my estimate to the temples and the hairline. Or the surgeon could have advised me to return in a couple of years while trying the safer minoxidil.   Keep in mind that I was a naive 28 year old then so I didn't know any better and was  under the illusion that I would have a full head of hair  and the surgeon never warned me about shock loss and  how my hair would look worse in 12 months time if I was to discontinue taking finasteride.

Well what I see is that in the post op photos your hair looks stuck together in curls with much water, while in the pre op it has a different hair style with longer hair slicked all back…Anyway

I saw above that a guy mentioned that you had this hair transplant at 2008 before 16 years and it was FUT. And you had another one FUT hair transplant at 2011.

So basically we are talking now for a hair transplant which took place before 16 years ? 

Edited by Reina

On 1/14/2024 at 9:26 PM, wembley said:

in another thread, you said that you had 2 FUT procedures one in 2008 and one in 2011 and you are looking for a third one now.

So this result is before 16 years in 2008 from your first FUT procedure?

Also i have seen these photos of you..are these photos your current hair situation? You look like norwood 6 with a norwood 7 crown.

Yes, the photos are from 2008  and the surgeon is still recommended here. But regardless of the number of years gone I feel my question of asking how often these surgeons are reviewed is a legitimate one.